The Student Room Group

Best A-Levels for Medicine?

I'm in the process of deciding my A-Levels at the moment, and I've pretty much decided on Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. I want to go on to study medicine at university, so I know that the first three are good choices. However, Physics appears to be a better choice than English Literature, and so I'm not sure whether to take that instead. I'm not bad at physics, but the course outline looks boring to me, and I really enjoy English Literature. Should I take Physics or another subject rather than English Literature? What would universities think about it as an A-Level on an application for medicine?
It won't effect your application at all. In fact taking an essay subject will help you look like a more rounded applicant,

Also you don't need to take 4 A-levels, there isn't any benefit
Reply 2
I don't think it will have too much of an effect, if you prefer and want to study english lit go for it. most offers are based on 3 A level subjects anyway and maths , chem and bio are great a levels for medicine. I think physics may make you slightly more competitive but its not worth it if you think it maybe boring and prefer english lit.
best of luck with medicine :smile:
Original post by moll_h
I'm in the process of deciding my A-Levels at the moment, and I've pretty much decided on Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. I want to go on to study medicine at university, so I know that the first three are good choices. However, Physics appears to be a better choice than English Literature, and so I'm not sure whether to take that instead. I'm not bad at physics, but the course outline looks boring to me, and I really enjoy English Literature. Should I take Physics or another subject rather than English Literature? What would universities think about it as an A-Level on an application for medicine?

Those A-levels are fine. If you enjoy English lit, then do it.
Original post by moll_h

I don't think it would matter either way, just go for the one you prefer. :smile:
Original post by moll_h

If you're applying to a BMAT university, take physics. If not, then don't bother.
Reply 6
Original post by HopelessMedic
It won't effect your application at all. In fact taking an essay subject will help you look like a more rounded applicant,

Also you don't need to take 4 A-levels, there isn't any benefit

Thank you! And I do know that doing 4 A-Levels is a bit pointless, but I enjoy all of the subjects and am very indecisive :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest