The Student Room Group

GCSE ADVICE? ask me anything!!

Hello! I understand it is getting to that time of year when your GCSE teachers will be encouraging revision; perhaps you've just completed mocks or have them soon approaching.
I did my GCSES last year and I am now an AS student studying History, Philosophy, English Lit and Politics.
My grades were:
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A*
History: A*
Fine Art: A*
RE: A*
French: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Biology: A
Maths: B
I know when I was sitting my GCSES, I felt like I needed some guidance so if you have any questions about revision technique, how I achieved these grades or what AS is like so far, ask away! I'm eager to help people :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How did you revise for English Language and Lit? Thank you!
Reply 2
Original post by Fnt1klo
How did you revise for English Language and Lit? Thank you!

English Language was something that came quite naturally to me however when I revised it I focused mainly on exam technique. I did a few past papers here and there but what really helped me was looking at examiners reports and example answers so I knew what the examiner was looking for. This is really useful!! If you're struggling with the reading side, practice technique over and over again. Time yourself and get teachers to mark it, see where you're going wrong and do it again but aim to get higher. If you're struggling with the writing, make sure your grammar/spelling is perfect so you don't drop marks here and focus on quality not quantity by reading A/A* answers.
I sat Lit in Y10 so its hard to recall, but reading the texts more than once really does help. Annotate them, make que cards of key quotations and stick them up around your room. I personally made mind maps on specific themes for quick revision sheets to refer to easily. Answer old questions too and try to predict what might come up.
Hope this helped!
May I ask,
In Math exams, did they check your calculators?
Like, did they have a look at them to see if they're graphical or not. Asking for a friend.
Reply 4
Original post by Carthaginian
May I ask,
In Math exams, did they check your calculators?
Like, did they have a look at them to see if they're graphical or not. Asking for a friend.

Not from what I remember, they make you take your case off and put it on the floor, and suggest a scientific one. However, if theres any suspicion of a student using a calculator to cheat for instance, an invigilator would most definitely clear the memory but I have not seen this happen before.
butihaveaplan.jpg
Original post by rosie.mn
Not from what I remember, they make you take your case off and put it on the floor, and suggest a scientific one. However, if theres any suspicion of a student using a calculator to cheat for instance, an invigilator would most definitely clear the memory but I have not seen this happen before.
Reply 6
Hello! I understand it is getting to that time of year when your GCSE teachers will be encouraging revision; perhaps you've just completed mocks or have them soon approaching.
I did my GCSES last year and I am now an AS student studying History, Philosophy, English Lit and Politics.
My grades were:
I know when I was sitting my GCSES, I felt like I needed some guidance so if you have any questions about revision technique, how I achieved these grades or what AS is like so far, ask away! I'm eager to help people :smile:

When did you start revising for GCSE'S? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sara_s01
When did you start revising for GCSE'S? :smile:

I revised for my mocks 2 weeks prior which helped me go over earlier content, however for my official GCSES I began light revision in late March for subjects such as Science and RE (Science being the most demanding subject as I had 9 exams for it and RE being my first exam) and really started more intense revision throughout Easter as this is a really good opportunity to create good study resources, this allowed me to go easier and focus on memorising and past papers 2 weeks before the exams.
Reply 8
English Language was something that came quite naturally to me however when I revised it I focused mainly on exam technique. I did a few past papers here and there but what really helped me was looking at examiners reports and example answers so I knew what the examiner was looking for. This is really useful!! If you're struggling with the reading side, practice technique over and over again. Time yourself and get teachers to mark it, see where you're going wrong and do it again but aim to get higher. If you're struggling with the writing, make sure your grammar/spelling is perfect so you don't drop marks here and focus on quality not quantity by reading A/A* answers.
I sat Lit in Y10 so its hard to recall, but reading the texts more than once really does help. Annotate them, make que cards of key quotations and stick them up around your room. I personally made mind maps on specific themes for quick revision sheets to refer to easily. Answer old questions too and try to predict what might come up.
Hope this helped!

Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by Fnt1klo
Thank you!

no problem!
My grades were:

Do you still have the revisioaterial tha you used and f so can you post them for all the subjectstaht u have taken for your gcse as am struggling to find revisison materials
How did you eevisio for science and what did u use to get those amazing grades
NEED HELP SOO MUCH
Original post by Raji2001
Do you still have the revisioaterial tha you used and f so can you post them for all the subjectstaht u have taken for your gcse as am struggling to find revisison materials
NEED HELP SOO MUCH
yes yes please could youd do this!
Original post by bhavyab02
yes yes please could youd do this!

Sorry for the blunders
I was in a hurry
Reply 13
NEED HELP SOO MUCH

Unfortunately I threw all my revision away when I redid my bedroom but I would highly suggest going through notes you've made in class because it's already what you understand. For science I revised over a long period of time to consolidate and break down the information so it retained better, I found this the most constructive way as cramming science didn't work for me given the amount of content to learn. I wrote notes out from my work in class, made it clearer, made mind maps from the notes and then que cards from the mind maps. I then answered practise papers to see where I was at, and then revised areas which had gaps in my knowledge and then retook the tests to see my improvements. Hope this helped!
Unfortunately I threw all my revision away when I redid my bedroom but I would highly suggest going through notes you've made in class because it's already what you understand. For science I revised over a long period of time to consolidate and break down the information so it retained better, I found this the most constructive way as cramming science didn't work for me given the amount of content to learn. I wrote notes out from my work in class, made it clearer, made mind maps from the notes and then que cards from the mind maps. I then answered practise papers to see where I was at, and then revised areas which had gaps in my knowledge and then retook the tests to see my improvements. Hope this helped!

Yes this really helped thansk
By the way do you k ow anyone who can check my french work
Reply 15
Yes this really helped thansk
By the way do you k ow anyone who can check my french work

No sorry! Try putting it in a french specific forum :smile:
No sorry! Try putting it in a french specific forum :smile:

I don't get it
What do you meant
Sorry
Do u have any good resources or any good tips on how to get an a

Resources on
English
Maths
Science
History

Thanks
Whats the best way to revise for maths GCSE?
My grades were:

Why didn't you get a*s in everything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest