The Student Room Group

Stuck between taking chemistry or media A-level

So I have to choose what options i'm going to take for my A-levels within the next week, but i'm kind of stuck between taking chemistry and media. I think i'm better at media, but I feel like chemistry might be more useful to me. I know chemistry's very difficult, but I enjoy it and i'm willing to put in extra work. I just don't know if it might be too difficult for me? I've heard that the jump from GCSE to A-level chemistry is really hard. Can someone who takes A-level chemistry confirm this?
Besides that, I want to take:

Music
Psychology
English Literature

Are those good options to take? I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life lol, so I thought i'd take a variety of subjects. Opinions?
Reply 1
Original post by infernogames
So I have to choose what options i'm going to take for my A-levels within the next week, but i'm kind of stuck between taking chemistry and media. I think i'm better at media, but I feel like chemistry might be more useful to me. I know chemistry's very difficult, but I enjoy it and i'm willing to put in extra work. I just don't know if it might be too difficult for me? I've heard that the jump from GCSE to A-level chemistry is really hard. Can someone who takes A-level chemistry confirm this?

Music
Psychology
English Literature

Are those good options to take? I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life lol, so I thought i'd take a variety of subjects. Opinions?

CHEMISTRY.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you take chemistry?
Reply 3
First off decide what you wanna do with your life otherwise there's no point doing any of them A levels.
Secondly A level Chemistry is insanely hard, if you're not bald by the end of yr 13 you're one of the lucky ones...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Do you take chemistry?

Really wish I could do it, opens up so many job prospects especially bio and chem or maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Music
Psychology
English Literature

I did the three sciences at A'level because I wanted to do a science degree, and you are correct the leap is massive. In fact, think of it like doing a completely different subject. So if you want to do a science make sure you love it - its the best way to get through.

I would have previously said that you shouldn't bother doing a science subject unless you need it for your degree - but I have since changed my mind.

I had a student that was doing Spanish, Theatre Studies, English Literature and Biology for A'level. I told her she was crazy as she wanted to do English at University, but she insisted that she wanted to do Biology because she just loved learning about it - she is the only student I've had that has got 100% on her A'level Biology exam.

If you LOVE it then DO IT.

Quick Reply

Latest