The Student Room Group

Farage first foreign politician to meet Trump since his election as President

The press are reporting that Farage has met Trump today in New York.

He just flew over, turned up at the foyer of Trump Tower by accounts, asked to meet the President Elect and got shown up. There was no prior invitation.

Meanwhile the Foreign Office are fretting about what Theresa May being only the tenth world leader to be spoken to means for the "Special Relationship."

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Farage and Trump - the two most influential politicians of the generation.
Probably because he's the only "politician" with nothing better to do.
Reply 3
Original post by astutehirstute
The press are reporting that Farage has met Trump today in New York.

He just flew over, turned up at the foyer of Trump Tower by accounts, asked to meet the President Elect and got shown up. There was no prior invitation.

Meanwhile the Foreign Office are fretting about what Theresa May being only the tenth world leader to be spoken to means for the "Special Relationship."

Thoughts?

I thought we were 9th.

According to US insiders Trump apparently wanted us to be one of the first but his aides were disorganised. Of course that could just be a story.

At any rate, i think it better than the European approach of holding a crisis meeting next week which apparently Boris is refusing to attend because the Europeans are "whining about nothing".
it's literally farage and trump that make me think that the west is undergoing a second kind of "reagan revolution"
I mean, we even have two right wing leaders in the UK and USA - one of them, again, being a female (theresa may)
and we're against a new kind of "evil empire" - no longer the SU but now the "EU"
but I guess some things never change, like russia still being somewhat of a threat and the middle east still being a hot zone

it's just a shame that theresa may is nothing but a party grunt who just happens to be PM via boris and andrea dropping out of the leadership contest! nigel farage would be a better and more appropriate leader given the times of scepticism in the establishment"(tm) that theresa may represents, but oh well. I wouldn't have thought that the "establishment"(tm) in the UK would have tolerated nigel farage jumping ship to join the tories and then becoming its leader. not that I'd even really desire that, seeing as clearly he'd have to "play ball" within that kind of institution in order to stay in it - he's not influential enough to infiltrate it like trump
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
2 demonised right wingers who fight just to serve the people and smash the evils of globalism!
Original post by SmashConcept
Probably because he's the only "politician" with nothing better to do.

You don't think a private meeting with the man who will be the most powerful in the world for at least the next four years is a productive use of a politician's time??

And why do you use inverted commas for the term? What else is Nigel Farage if not a career politician?
You don't think a private meeting with the man who will be the most powerful in the world for at least the next four years is a productive use of a politician's time??

And why do you use inverted commas for the term? What else is Nigel Farage if not a career politician?

I think it's productive, and I'm sure all world leaders will do it in due course. Farage was able to do it at the drop of a hat because he doesn't have anything else to do.

Farage certainly has been a career politician. Now he's the interim leader of a single issue party whose single issue has already been decided, and a member of a parliament he has always actively avoided participating in. Politician may be a technically correct description, but "highly paid beer drinker" is also correct, and probably more descriptive.
Farage wants a job. It was originally with the Trump organisation and now that has expeanded to being some sort of special adviser on the UK and EU.

Trump likes him because Farage gave him some enocuragement and advice during the election when everyone else had written him off.
I think it's productive, and I'm sure all world leaders will do it in due course. Farage was able to do it at the drop of a hat because he doesn't have anything else to do.

You could say that. :biggrin:

A US President's time is like gold dust, his diary is divided up into segments of five minute intervals. Farage got an hour, before any other foreign politician on the planet, an extraordinary coup.

He forecast what would happen, campaigned himself for the Donald, and was proven spectacularly right. Now he reaps the dividends and causes havoc inside the Tory Party (which is his real agenda).

The question we need to ask is what on earth were our political class doing, bad mouthing Trump before the election? Farage doesn't care of course, he is a maverick, but he has shown the whole lot of them up.

It was a two horse race, not to prepare for either outcome by remaining studiously neutral was unforgivable and imperilled our national interest.

Original post by #ChaosKass
Farage and Trump - the two most influential politicians of the generation.

#ChaosKass - the most idiotic forum poster of the generation.
If you leave the lid of a bin off you're bound to attract some flies.

A US President's time is like gold dust, his diary is divided up into segments of five minute intervals. Farage got an hour, before any other foreign politician on the planet, an extraordinary coup.

He forecast what would happen, campaigned himself for the Donald, and was proven spectacularly right. Now he reaps the dividends and causes havoc inside the Tory Party (which is his real agenda).

The question we need to ask is what on earth were our political class doing, bad mouthing Trump before the election? Farage doesn't care of course, he is a maverick, but he has shown the whole lot of them up.

It was a two horse race, not to prepare for either outcome by remaining studiously neutral was unforgivable and imperilled our national interest.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. Farage did a great job of staying studiously neutral by campaigning for Trump? OK mate. And I'm sure May will eventually meet him for an hour. Maybe even two!

Farage is not causing havoc lol. He is a sideshow. He can have some airtime in the lame duck period while we wait for Brexit/inauguration day to happen.

Everyone was pretty neutral apart. The only member of the cabinet who really commented strongly was Boris, and he 1. has offended everyone and 2. was mayor of the city Trump thought was being taken over by Sharia law. What was he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, I guess we might be, hadn't noticed it myself, but yeah maybe. Good call there Don."
Original post by sleepysnooze
it's literally farage and trump that make me think that the west is undergoing a second kind of "reagan revolution"
I mean, we even have two right wing leaders in the UK and USA - one of them, again, being a female (theresa may)
and we're against a new kind of "evil empire" - no longer the SU but now the "EU"
but I guess some things never change, like russia still being somewhat of a threat and the middle east still being a hot zone

it's just a shame that theresa may is nothing but a party grunt who just happens to be PM via boris and andrea dropping out of the leadership contest! nigel farage would be a better and more appropriate leader given the times of scepticism in the establishment"(tm) that theresa may represents, but oh well. I wouldn't have thought that the "establishment"(tm) in the UK would have tolerated nigel farage jumping ship to join the tories and then becoming its leader. not that I'd even really desire that, seeing as clearly he'd have to "play ball" within that kind of institution in order to stay in it - he's not influential enough to infiltrate it like trump

If your dreaming of free trade, traditionalism and a small state you'll be dissapointed by Trump. He's a protectionist who is quite happy to spend more and cut the wrong taxes. As remarked elsewhere he's a Democrat who hates immigration and wants to cosy up to Putin.

It did amuse me so how Europe's first diplomatic overture is to hold a crisis meeting.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. Farage did a great job of staying studiously neutral by campaigning for Trump? OK mate. And I'm sure May will eventually meet him for an hour. Maybe even two!

Farage is not causing havoc lol. He is a sideshow. He can have some airtime in the lame duck period while we wait for Brexit/inauguration day to happen.

Everyone was pretty neutral apart. The only member of the cabinet who really commented strongly was Boris, and he 1. has offended everyone and 2. was mayor of the city Trump thought was being taken over by Sharia law. What was he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, I guess we might be, hadn't noticed it myself, but yeah maybe. Good call there Don."

One Prime Minister called him "stupid, divisive and wrong" the PM who succeeded supported a ban on him entering the country, and the current Foreign Secretary said he was "unfit" to be US Prez.

Two PM's and our Foreign Secretary said or did unforgivable things??

And that is not to cite the huge number of more minor figures including May's two most senior advisors. Jesus what a complete diplomatic disaster...

No wonder he prefers to spend his precious time with Nige. :angry:
Original post by Rakas21
If your dreaming of free trade, traditionalism and a small state you'll be dissapointed by Trump. He's a protectionist who is quite happy to spend more and cut the wrong taxes. As remarked elsewhere he's a Democrat who hates immigration and wants to cosy up to Putin.

It did amuse me so how Europe's first diplomatic overture is to hold a crisis meeting.

Very well put.
Original post by Rakas21

Quite. :smile:

If the Brexit losers here still don't realise quite how out to lunch the arrogant yet incompetent European elite are they never will.

Juncker and Donald Tusk's response to Trump was utterly pitiful.
*sigh* I'm moving to Switzerland.
How do living costs in Switzerland compare with that of the UK?
Yeah I can't afford to move to Switzerland *sigh*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending