The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What is the University of Lancaster like?

I know its a bit vague but does anyone here go there or has been to an open day? What sets it apart from other Unis? Why go there? What is the city like? Etc.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't been the university itself, although I have been to the area near it and seen virtual tours/vlogs which might help you. The area around it is very nice, it's not isolated but also not busy like a city. My teacher's daughter went there recently and he said that because its quite far from London, many people tend to not consider it, unless of course they live in/near Lancaster. He said that because of this, the entry requirements are slightly lower.

Obviously it depends which degree you are looking to study, but Lancaster is a top 10 university (9th I think) so they must be quite good academically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOPzRpM0yA definitely check this video out!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I went on an open day in September and to be honest I wasn't that keen on the actual university. I loved the course structure (biological sciences) and the accommodation was really nice, but wasn't a real fan of the university as a whole. Not entirely sure why- it was really modern and there seemed to be a lot of students around, but those I spoke too didn't seem all to keen to be there? It's my 5th choice and I've received an unconditional, but I'm planning on going to more old, traditional-type universities. If you like modern things and campus universities- go for it. There are shops on campus (i.e. Greggs, Costa, Subway) and the lecture theatres are modern, but if you're more of a fan of the traditional uni experience then I would suggest maybe applying but it being one of your lower choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by baznoy
... there seemed to be a lot of students around, but those I spoke too didn't seem all to keen to be there?

Sorry, I completely disagree. The rest of the paragraph is your opinion; obviously different universities suit different people, and you should go somewhere you think you'd be happiest! But I have no idea where you've got that impression from. Did you maybe project your feelings onto other people...?

I'm a first year, and I can say in all honesty that I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be here. Absolutely everyone I've spoken to loves it here. Granted, it is a very different university from eg. Durham, but we all chose to be here because it's the kind of place we wanted to be, and I don't know anyone who doesn't love it.

Original post by Hackerman
I know its a bit vague but does anyone here go there or has been to an open day? What sets it apart from other Unis? Why go there? What is the city like? Etc.

Thanks.

(Some bits are copied and pasted from when I answered this question in a different thread (sorry!) but)

I love Lancaster, and I'm so happy I'm here. I turned down offers from Durham, York and Exeter and I'm so glad I did. Not only do I love it here, I also have two scholarships as I got A*A*A* in my A levels - there are lots of scholarships available (search online for your course if that interests you).

Some of the things which really set it apart from other universities for me was the fantastic welfare, the amazingly welcome feel of my department and the collegiate system.

The welfare is fantastic, the college system makes it so easy to make friends, the lectures are great (if fast paced, but that's what you'd expect at a top 10 uni - but, in physics at least, there are loads of workshops and other opportunities to catch up if you get left a bit behind). The students union is fab too, and there are so many societies - literally everything you could want to do.

I really like the campus - imo it's one of the nicest looking new universities, but I know people's opinions vary The library has very recently been refurbished, and it's so cool. The accommodation I'm in (Furness, standard rooms) is v good value compared to other universities, and my room is massive.

Best way to see if you like it is to look round - just because it was perfect for me doesn't necessarily mean it'd be right for you! I knew straight away at the open day that it was the right choice for me

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask x
Reply 4
Original post by loveire&song
Sorry, I completely disagree. The rest of the paragraph is your opinion; obviously different universities suit different people, and you should go somewhere you think you'd be happiest! But I have no idea where you've got that impression from. Did you maybe project your feelings onto other people...?

I'm a first year, and I can say in all honesty that I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be here. Absolutely everyone I've spoken to loves it here. Granted, it is a very different university from eg. Durham, but we all chose to be here because it's the kind of place we wanted to be, and I don't know anyone who doesn't love it...

i think it's because we went on a day where it was raining and the weather was miserable. a good deal of the students seemed happy enough, but those within my subject didn't seem as happy as i thought they'd be? it kind of put me off a little bit, but hearing from an student currently there has made me feel a little better about it, thank you.
Reply 5

I'm a first year, and I can say in all honesty that I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be here. Absolutely everyone I've spoken to loves it here. Granted, it is a very different university from eg. Durham, but we all chose to be here because it's the kind of place we wanted to be, and I don't know anyone who doesn't love it.

(Some bits are copied and pasted from when I answered this question in a different thread (sorry!) but)

I love Lancaster, and I'm so happy I'm here. I turned down offers from Durham, York and Exeter and I'm so glad I did. Not only do I love it here, I also have two scholarships as I got A*A*A* in my A levels - there are lots of scholarships available (search online for your course if that interests you).

Some of the things which really set it apart from other universities for me was the fantastic welfare, the amazingly welcome feel of my department and the collegiate system.

The welfare is fantastic, the college system makes it so easy to make friends, the lectures are great (if fast paced, but that's what you'd expect at a top 10 uni - but, in physics at least, there are loads of workshops and other opportunities to catch up if you get left a bit behind). The students union is fab too, and there are so many societies - literally everything you could want to do.

I really like the campus - imo it's one of the nicest looking new universities, but I know people's opinions vary The library has very recently been refurbished, and it's so cool. The accommodation I'm in (Furness, standard rooms) is v good value compared to other universities, and my room is massive.

Best way to see if you like it is to look round - just because it was perfect for me doesn't necessarily mean it'd be right for you! I knew straight away at the open day that it was the right choice for me

I loved Lancaster when i went and i am putting it as my firm choice for sure! The only thing i am worried about is the night life and the distance from cities etc... Could you tell me anything about it? x
Original post by megannie
I loved Lancaster when i went and i am putting it as my firm choice for sure! The only thing i am worried about is the night life and the distance from cities etc... Could you tell me anything about it? x

Nightlife - it is okay. The university night club is fairly popular on specific days and there are other venues in Lancaster. Obviously its worse than large cities but its not exactly awful either.

Cities - Only about an hour and a half away from Manchester and 2 hours and 30m to Edinburgh. No real reason to go there for most people though as there are plenty of shops/things to do on campus and in Lancaster.

You will probs find your busy with your course a lot anyway ;P

Did you recieve an unconditional offer if firmed?

Yeah I just looked on the scholarship website and WOW
Reply 8

Hey, mind if I ask some stuff then? I was looking at the campus and tbh it looks REALLY segregated, like its in the middle of nowhere. I was reading on the Uni site and it says they have a dentist, doctors surgery and pharmacy on campus - is that really how far away it is?

Also, I'm wanting to apply for Computer Sci, I'm not sure what course you're doing but do you know what the technology equipment etc is like?:tongue:

I'm comparing it to Newcastle, what would your opinion be? I'm very into Uni's which are in the middle of cities as it seems very social etc.

Also, congrats one the 3 A*'s!!!

Thanks!
Original post by Maths is Life
Did you recieve an unconditional offer if firmed?

Yeah I just looked on the scholarship website and WOW

Nope, no unconditional offer - physics don't give them! :frown: But £2000 university scholarship for getting (at least) A*A*A and then £1000 from physics for A* physics A* maths :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Hey guys.
Went to the open day and I loved it.

Got an offer for psychology and yeah I'm looking forward to going again soon. How easy is it to make friends there? It did have a community feel to it that I liked to be fair :biggrin:
Hey, mind if I ask some stuff then? I was looking at the campus and tbh it looks REALLY segregated, like its in the middle of nowhere. I was reading on the Uni site and it says they have a dentist, doctors surgery and pharmacy on campus - is that really how far away it is?

Also, I'm wanting to apply for Computer Sci, I'm not sure what course you're doing but do you know what the technology equipment etc is like?:tongue:

I'm comparing it to Newcastle, what would your opinion be? I'm very into Uni's which are in the middle of cities as it seems very social etc.

Also, congrats one the 3 A*'s!!!

Thanks!

No worries about asking questions! :smile: Also thanks for the congrats!

Also no, that's not actually the reason there's a campus doctors at all - it's just to keep the local surgeries from being inundated with students during term time (there are two universities in Lancaster so a hell of a lot of students!) and it also helps the surgery be more specific to student issues eg. mental health, doctors notes for missed exams, meningitis vaccines, etc.

Imo it's not segrated at all - I go into town several times a week, that's like 10, 15 minutes or so by bus to the very centre? I also sometimes walk in (about 10 minutes to the outskirts of town). There's also Manchester like was said above, about an hour's cheap train ride away. You could quite easily just stay on campus and never run out of stuff to do, but it's also very easy to leave.

I'm physics, not computer science - sorry! All I can say is that, at least in my department, the equipment and buildings are fantastically new.

If you definitely want a city feel, then it's maybe not the place to be - but I know I love it here :smile:

Good luck wherever you choose in the end! x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TK_23
Hey guys.
Went to the open day and I loved it.

Got an offer for psychology and yeah I'm looking forward to going again soon. How easy is it to make friends there? It did have a community feel to it that I liked to be fair :biggrin:

I chose here because I fell in love on the open day too! Congrats on your offer! :smile:

It is fantastically easy to make friends - I have (genuinely) never been anywhere so friendly.

The college system is amazing - I'm in Furness, which is the smallest college, and I don't know what other colleges are like (except that everyone thinks their college is the best!) but being in Furness was brilliant for making friends. It really does have a lovely community feel. I don't really know how to describe it - I don't feel like a number, I really feel part of a college family and like I belong. (Ps. Choose Furness :wink:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
I chose here because I fell in love on the open too! Congrats on your offer! :smile:

It is fantastically easy to make friends - I have (genuinely) never been anywhere so friendly.

The college system is amazing - I'm in Furness, which is the smallest college, and I don't know what other colleges are like (except that everyone thinks their college is the best!) but being in Furness was brilliant for making friends. It really does have a lovely community feel. I don't really know how to describe it - I don't feel like a number, I really feel part of a college family and like I belong. (Ps. Choose Furness :wink:)

Haha I'm looking at Furness too actually :biggrin:!!! I will do :wink:
Original post by TK_23
Haha I'm looking at Furness too actually :biggrin:!!! I will do :wink:

In all seriousness though, Furness is pretty cool because it's right near the centre of campus (~ 3 min to Alexandra Square, very helpful for morning lectures! :tongue:) But it's also off to one side so it's not too noisy / public (like Bowland is). Like I said the size makes it have a fab community feel too. It also has standard accommodation (as well as ensuite) which was good for me because I didn't have too much to spend. Also unlike some of the other colleges, all the accomodation / college buildings are in one place.
Reply 15
I chose here because I fell in love on the open day too! Congrats on your offer! :smile:

Yo...what is this college system and what is Furness?? :biggrin: I'm so confused lmao.

Also, I like the fact that Lancaster is close to Manchester, seeing as I'm from there :tongue: I guess that'd make it very easy for me to go see friends and family etc.
Yo...what is this college system and what is Furness?? :biggrin: I'm so confused lmao.

Also, I like the fact that Lancaster is close to Manchester, seeing as I'm from there :tongue: I guess that'd make it very easy for me to go see friends and family etc.

Okay I'll try and be brief! :tongue: College system: basically you apply to the university, and the department decide if they want to make you an offer or not. After results day, you then have to apply to a college. You have to be part of a college - so I'm part of Furness College, which in turn is part of Lancaster University.

Basically colleges are responsible for everything other than academic stuff. They're where you go for welfare issues, sports teams, where you live in first year (assuming you live on campus), where you have meetings with the deanery if you break rules, etc.

The way to pick colleges is mostly to look at size, location and accommodation types.

Not all colleges have all accommodation types (eg. Fylde just has ensuite rooms, so if you want a cheaper standard room, don't choose Fylde). Some colleges are a lot bigger than others (Furness is the smallest, I think County is the biggest?). Also where do you want to be on campus? (Cartmel and Londsdale are far away from the centre of campus, whereas Bowland and Furness are very central).

I chose Furness because a) I wanted to be in the centre of campus (I'm lazy :tongue:), b) I didn't want an ensuite room and Furness had standard accommodation, and c) I wanted to be in a smaller college with a tight-knit community feel.

Ultimately though, whichever college you end up in, you end up loving, so it doesn't matter too much! :tongue:

Off the Lancaster website:

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/teaching-and-learning/collegiate-system/
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay I'll try and be brief! :tongue: College system: basically you apply to the university, and the department decide if they want to make you an offer or not. After results day, you then have to apply to a college. You have to be part of a college - so I'm part of Furness College, which in turn is part of Lancaster University.

Basically colleges are responsible for everything other than academic stuff. They're where you go for welfare issues, sports teams, where you live in first year (assuming you live on campus), where you have meetings with the deanery if you break rules, etc.

The way to pick colleges is mostly to look at size, location and accommodation types.

Not all colleges have all accommodation types (eg. Fylde just has ensuite rooms, so if you want a cheaper standard room, don't choose Fylde). Some colleges are a lot bigger than others (Furness is the smallest, I think County is the biggest?). Also where do you want to be on campus? (Cartmel and Londsdale are far away from the centre of campus, whereas Bowland and Furness are very central).

I chose Furness because a) I wanted to be in the centre of campus (I'm lazy :tongue:), b) I didn't want an ensuite room and Furness had standard accommodation, and c) I wanted to be in a smaller college with a tight-knit community feel.

Ultimately though, whichever college you end up in, you end up loving, so it doesn't matter too much! :tongue:

Off the Lancaster website:

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/teaching-and-learning/collegiate-system/

Are you still at Lancaster? :P

Also Cartmel is clearly the best
Original post by Yellow2914
Nightlife - it is okay. The university night club is fairly popular on specific days and there are other venues in Lancaster. Obviously its worse than large cities but its not exactly awful either.

Cities - Only about an hour and a half away from Manchester and 2 hours and 30m to Edinburgh. No real reason to go there for most people though as there are plenty of shops/things to do on campus and in Lancaster.

You will probs find your busy with your course a lot anyway ;P

Thanks! I figured i'd probably be really busy with work but as long as it isn't completely dead i'm sure i'll be fine :smile: I was just a bit worried because when i said i wanted to go to Lancaster people would look at me and be like 'where is that?' or 'Never heard of it'. and 'Isn't it in the middle of nowhere?'

But i love the feel of the uni and am really excited to go!
Nope, no unconditional offer - physics don't give them! :frown: But £2000 university scholarship for getting (at least) A*A*A and then £1000 from physics for A* physics A* maths :smile:

I just got an unconditional from Lancaster yesterday, if I put it as my first choice, for Physics so they must only give out a small number of them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending