The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nikita Verma
Just received an interview! International applicant. UKCAT 743 avg Band 1 :smile:

Congrats! What dates did you get?
Original post by chrisdale98
They said 3600 i think

yup you're right just saw the email again "we have received approximately 3,600 applications for 343 places" and they intend on sending out 1000 interviews!
How many offers are given out for 318 places?
Reply 483
Original post by manlike99
Thank you :smile: I guess the next batch will have the 12-16 december option rather than Jan then

Welcome :h:

Yeah i presume so, i guess it also depends on how many interview slots they will have. i.e. if they will be giving some out in early feb aswell? Anyway keep hanging on in there, i'm sure you'll get the email when you least expect it!
Original post by Fusarium
How many offers are given out for 318 places?

According to the MSAG (Med School Application Guide) in 2015 there were 292 Home/EU places available and 394 offers were made.
Original post by meddad
According to the MSAG (Med School Application Guide) in 2015 there were 292 Home/EU places available and 394 offers were made.

link shows all UK medical schools if you're applying elsewhere

http://themsag.com/uk-medical-schools/competition-ratios
Looking at the past statistics for Newcastle it seems they only like to invite candidates that score around or above the 8th decile. The lowest UKCAT scores for 13/14 entry were slightly above the 8th decile. Due to the inflated scores of 2014, the lowest score for 2015 entry was exceptionally low (3/4th decile I think) so we can assume that was an anomaly. Last year the lowest score was JUST below the 8th decile. I know it's probably been stated before but I decided to look because I'm growing more and more anxious as the time goes by lol. I wanted to analyse the trend in scores to see where I stood and to share this information. However, considering that the amount of applications this year is enormous, my assumption is that this year the safe zone would be slightly "above" the 8th decile. What do you guys think? Or am I thinking too deep into this? lool XD
Original post by AmaduM
Looking at the past statistics for Newcastle it seems they only like to invite candidates that score around or above the 8th decile. The lowest UKCAT scores for 13/14 entry were slightly above the 8th decile. Due to the inflated scores of 2014, the lowest score for 2015 entry was exceptionally low (3/4th decile I think) so we can assume that was an anomaly. Last year the lowest score was JUST below the 8th decile. I know it's probably been stated before but I decided to look because I'm growing more and more anxious as the time goes by lol. I wanted to analyse the trend in scores to see where I stood and to share this information. However, considering that the amount of applications this year is enormous, my assumption is that this year the safe zone would be slightly "above" the 8th decile. What do you guys think? Or am I thinking too deep into this? lool XD

Yes, probably thinking too deep but that's what the process does to you :wink:. One year was definitely an anomaly though caused by an unusually high cut off the year before when one part of UKCAT was easier than it should have been resulting in a threshold of 745 - it put people off applying the following year.
Last year the threshold was 682.5
The UKCAT national average is slightly lower this year than last so there may be a chance that their threshold could be the same/slightly lower.
Personally I doubt that will be the case (especially considering the average jumped up 100 points from 2015 to 2016 entry and it usually works out with them increasing a bit each year).
I think the threshold this year may be 690-700 but it really depends on the scores of everyone who's applied.
(edited 7 years ago)
Isn't the number of applications (3,600) including A100 and A101 roughly the same number as previous years? I keep seeing posts stating that the number is much higher this year
Original post by kayasparkles
Isn't the number of applications (3,600) including A100 and A101 roughly the same number as previous years? I keep seeing posts stating that the number is much higher this year

Yes, the numbers applying is reportedly the same as last year. It had dropped in the previous year because of the really high UKCAT threshold the year before that putting people off applying - the really high UKCAT scores were an anomaly though.
Original post by Hutch28
The UKCAT national average is slightly lower this year than last so there may be a chance that their threshold could be the same/slightly lower.
Personally I doubt that will be the case (especially considering the average jumped up 100 points from 2015 to 2016 entry and it usually works out with them increasing a bit each year).
I think the threshold this year may be 690-700 but it really depends on the scores of everyone who's applied.

The big jump from 2015 to 2016 was an anomaly which is easily explained by UKCAT fluctuations nationally ie: a really high Newcastle threshold one year (because of higher national averages) putting off people applying the following year, and a return nearer to normality last year.

My prediction is that logically that should mean a threshold around the level you have suggested.... but I also predicted that we wouldn't leave the EU and that Donald Trump wouldn't be the next US President - so what do I know?
Reply 492
Original post by kayasparkles

Yeah, it's nearly exactly the same.
Original post by Hutch28

I predict the averages 'should' be around the same score as last year only going based on the decile ranges. The reason I don't go based on average threshold is because if you were to sequence the averages over the years you'd see it's: 695 (2013), 745 (2014), 682.5 (2016) - excluding 2015 for obvious reasons you'd see that the numbers are a little inconsistent. However, the consistent aspect is that they're all around the 8th decile. This year the 8th decile starts at 2060/687.6. Since it's been told the number of applicants is pretty much the same, depending on how well people did that apply, it could 'possibly' be a bit below or slightly above 687.6. At least, that's my prediction anyway. I've realized I'm thinking too deep into this XD XD XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meddad
The big jump from 2015 to 2016 was an anomaly which is easily explained by UKCAT fluctuations nationally ie: a really high Newcastle threshold one year (because of higher national averages) putting off people applying the following year, and a return nearer to normality last year.

My prediction is that logically that should mean a threshold around the level you have suggested.... but I also predicted that we wouldn't leave the EU and that Donald Trump wouldn't be the next US President - so what do I know?

Considering all those with 730+ have December interviews and the majority of the interviews are in January, there's at least another 500(minimum, probably more around 650/700) interviews left so I think we can expect it to go down to around 700 average...hopefully
Reply 495
Original post by Hutch28
Considering all those with 730+ have December interviews and the majority of the interviews are in January, there's at least another 500(minimum, probably more around 650/700) interviews left so I think we can expect it to go down to around 700 average...hopefully

i have a ukcat score over 730 and haven't received an interview so I'm hoping they haven't got there yet hahaha
Original post by AmaduM
I predict the averages 'should' be around the same score as last year only going based on the decile ranges. The reason I don't go based on average threshold is because if you were to sequence the averages over the years you'd see it's: 695 (2013), 745 (2014), 682.5 (2016) - excluding 2015 for obvious reasons you'd see that the numbers are a little inconsistent. However, the consistent aspect is that they're all around the 8th decile. This year the 8th decile starts at 2060/687.6. Since it's been told the number of applicants is pretty much the same, depending on how well people did that apply, it could 'possibly' be a bit below or slightly above 687.6. At least, that's my prediction anyway. I've realized I'm thinking too deep into this XD XD XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here 😂
Original post by 2017sr
i have a ukcat score over 730 and haven't received an interview so I'm hoping they haven't got there yet hahaha

Oh...well there goes that idea. On the bright side I think you're pretty much guaranteed to get an interview
Original post by AmaduM

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always over analyse things myself and I agree absolutely with your logic. The only variable is "people" and how they act, which isn't always predictable.

Hopefully you're in the UKCAT range which at least gives you a chance?
Original post by meddad
I always over analyse things myself and I agree absolutely with your logic. The only variable is "people" and how they act, which isn't always predictable.

Hopefully you're in the UKCAT range which at least gives you a chance?

I've only just scraped the 8th decile so I suppose my brain's trying to calm the anxiety by trying to find out where I stand relative to previous years. But since we've had 2 years where the threshold was slightly above and only last year which was slightly below (excluding 2015), there's really no way to tell. Like you said, the scores of people who apply fluctuate regardless of the National average so it's all down to faith really. But I guess we're all passionate about medicine hence why it's playing on our minds. I really hope we all make it in the end as next generation doctors :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending