The Student Room Group

Why are they making GCSEs Harder exactly?

It seems like the exam boards love to discourage people, anything so they can get more money in their pockets, and so the Government have bragging rights. Apparently if we were using the old Mark Scheme I'd actually be in the As. How much do they want to push us before we collapse? I'm actually dreading 2017 urgh, Why cant it just be 2018 already.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Popsiclez
It seems like the exam boards love to discourage people, anything so they can get more money in their pockets, and so the Government have bragging rights. Apparently if we were using the old Mark Scheme I'd actually be in the As. How much do they want to push us before we collapse? I'm actually dreading 2017 urgh, Why cant it just be 2018 already.

Because a larger majority of people are achieving better grades than the previous years, hence why the difficulty rises usually. Exams are supposed to be challenging: you are supposed to work hard in order for it to be easy.

You'll be fine as long as you revise early and start developing good study habits.
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
Because a larger majority of people are achieving better grades than the previous years, hence why the difficulty rises usually. Exams are supposed to be challenging: you are supposed to work hard in order for it to be easy.

You'll be fine as long as you revise early and start developing good study habits.

Isn't that good don't they want people to pass? Why are they making it harder at GCSE Level though. It seems unfair that previous generations get off easy and we don't.
Isn't that good don't they want people to pass? Why are they making it harder at GCSE Level though. It seems unfair that previous generations get off easy and we don't.

Personally I think its a good idea so GCSE students find it a bit easier for the jump between A levels and GCSE
so more kids from state schools fail and kids from private school succeed in life since they want more people to become dumb tbh
The main reason is to distinguish between the top grade students, and the people that get high Cs and those who just scrape a C. Country is getting more competitive, so places are trying to make sure they are getting a particular band of students in their sixth forms and universities.
Reply 6
Original post by norman786
Personally I think its a good idea so GCSE students find it a bit easier for the jump between A levels and GCSE

But I hear there making A-levels harder for us too, I also hear were the last people to do Science Controlled Asssessment and they want everything 100% Exam based And I just get the same thing "Everything they do is right and supposed to be better for you" But i feel a large majority of it is for their sake.
Reply 7
Original post by Ninagabriella
so more kids from state schools fail and kids from private school succeed in life since they want more people to become dumb tbh

This is exactly how I feel, like Im Being Trained to become a mindless drone, why Private kids are the next managerial class in the making
But I hear there making A-levels harder for us too, I also hear were the last people to do Science Controlled Asssessment and they want everything 100% Exam based And I just get the same thing "Everything they do is right and supposed to be better for you" But i feel a large majority of it is for their sake.

As the years are going on the average percentage of people are getting better grades, so its probably easier to distinguish between people who are above average by making the exams harder and hence the new A** grade
Reply 9
As the years are going on the average percentage of people are getting better grades, so its probably easier to distinguish between people who are above average by making the exams harder and hence the new A** grade

:tongue: Soon in the future you'll probably need 85% for a C.
This is exactly how I feel, like Im Being Trained to become a mindless drone, why Private kids are the next managerial class in the making

That's not the exam's fault.
Reply 11
Original post by BasicMistake
That's not the exam's fault.

Yeah yeah the exams are perfect.
:tongue: Soon in the future you'll probably need 85% for a C.

As long as you're studying throughout your gcses and dont leave revision till last minute you will be fine.
The reason that GCSEs with coursework are getting harder is because you can get help from relatives to get a better grade in the end, hence why more subjects are replacing them with controlled assignments, i don't know the reason for the increase of difficulty in other GCSEs though.
Reply 14
As long as you're studying throughout your gcses and dont leave revision till last minute you will be fine.

I do study, don't get me wrong brought revision Textbooks and all. But what if in the future they made it 95% to get a C and anything below is a U, would the exams still be ok??
Yeah yeah the exams are perfect.

You must have replied to the wrong post because I didn't say that.

Don't worry, we all make mistakes.
Reply 16
My Teacher told me well I think its part of the reason, that they're trying to compete against other countries aswell, is that true??
I do study, don't get me wrong brought revision Textbooks and all. But what if in the future they made it 95% to get a C and anything below is a U, would the exams still be ok??

Well by 2020 i'm sure they're bringing out the A*** grade lol
Gaps are too big between GCSE and A-level, people are getting higher grades, it needs to be more competitive etc.
Reply 19
Lmao oh well let me just suck it up and get out of this corrupt education system as quick as I can. To you younger years reading this...Good Luck.

Latest