The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

How do I write a personal statement for two different courses?

I want to apply to 'English Literature with Creative Writing' courses and 'Film and TV Production' courses. I am quite aware that in such a case the best thing that I can do is to find similarities in desired qualities and in course modules. I focused on the aspect of screenwriting which is the middle ground between the two courses, but by avoiding the mentioning of their course names, the outcome of what I have written has been described as too vague. How should I go about this dilemma? Should I just be open about my two different options?
Hmm. You might be better off in TV Production than Creative Writing.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
Hmm. You might be better off in TV Production than Creative Writing.

The thing is screenwriting is only an optional module in both courses. The film course is primarily focused on theory and practical use of the creation of film and the lit course is on, well different literature throughout the ages. The creative writing aspect includes writing of fiction and poetry and so on. 😬🤔
Original post by harzzy
The thing is screenwriting is only an optional module in both courses. The film course is primarily focused on theory and practical use of the creation of film and the lit course is on, well different literature throughout the ages. The creative writing aspect includes writing of fiction and poetry and so on. 😬🤔

I think you need to chose one, if you re being too vague you re really risking getting rejected from both.
Original post by harzzy

Yes, I can imagine the course content. My point was that your dilemma is a short exercise in writing creatively.
Reply 5
A university representative told me that you should ask the course department if you can submit a second personal statement.
A difficult situation here. If you are applying to competitive unis then you are very unlikely to succeed with your PS. The admissions staff are looking for enthusiasm and dedication to a subject when reading the PS. So declaring that you are dithering between two rather different courses is a red flag.

Focusing solely on screenwriting for an English Lit PS is too narrow of an approach. I think you need to be honest with yourself and decide which course you would rather do for the next three or four years.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending