The Student Room Group

Guys ignore me over my (average) friend?

Day to day, guys will never ever iniate coversations or want to talk to me but whenever i'm with my friend i've noticed that they'll start talking and even joking with her. This is regardless of whether i'm with her or not. I sound like a b**** but to put everything into context she's average. Not slim but not fat either, not fashionable, never wears makeup/puts effort into her looks and just all round very plain. Yet she has loads of guy mates who all get along with her. I on the other hand tend to dress nice, wear makeup, am very slim etc yet guys never even talk to me. Do men really just prefer more average girls?
Original post by Anonymous
Day to day, guys will never ever iniate coversations or want to talk to me but whenever i'm with my friend i've noticed that they'll start talking and even joking with her. This is regardless of whether i'm with her or not. I sound like a b**** but to put everything into context she's average. Not slim but not fat either, not fashionable, never wears makeup/puts effort into her looks and just all round very plain. Yet she has loads of guy mates who all get along with her. I on the other hand tend to dress nice, wear makeup, am very slim etc yet guys never even talk to me. Do men really just prefer more average girls?

They probably just find her more attractive than you, looks and personality wise
Maybe it's that attitude of superiority that's just not doing it for the guys.

Was she your Fat Friend you took out with you to make yourself feel better and it backfired?
Sometimes less attractive people are more approachable. Whenever I go out with a group of friends, I notice the more averagely attractive ones get more attention and the ones who are gorgeous tend to get less, apart from sneaky glances :tongue:
Various points to be considered, one or more possibly true:
-Subjectivity of attractiveness
-She might just be easier to talk to
-If your blatant complex and jealousy are obvious irl too then people might be inclined to avoid you
-More people might find you extremely attractive and therefore find talking to you a bit daunting

Points that are extremely likely to be true:

not fashionable, never wears makeup/puts effort into her looks

A majority of guys (at least in my circles) tend not to care about female fashion or makeup provided they've not done something with regards to their style that looks somehow disgusting or ridiculous.

Do men really just prefer more average girls?

Men prefer girls they're attracted to over ones they're not attracted to. Thus to them this would make your "average" girls not "average" to these guys as these guys would believe said average girls to be more attractive than you. So, in conclusion, no.

Hope I've provided enough things for you to consider, have a nice day.
Men are more likely to approach average woman (you can google this), because the chances of rejection are lower.
Original post by Reality Check
Was she your Fat Friend you took out with you to make yourself feel better and it backfired?

PROSM.
They can sense your arrogance.

Perhaps they find her more approachable and fund to be with? Do you hink you could come off as difficult or distant? Maybe she is average on looks but not personality?
Reply 10
She's obviously got some magic ingredient which raises interest. Attractiveness and femininity has many aspects. Perhaps ask one of your male friends what it is. And dont worry most people have a mate that get a bit more attention than them which is annoying at times. Just relax and flirt a bit harder.

My view (I'm a guy): My general thought is that an 'average' lady will be more down to earth and appreciative of having a guy, whilst a 'attractive' lady would be so used to complements and all that cr@p and she may have significantly higher standards-which lets be honest, most guys wouldn't reach.

So that being said I would probably go for the average lady as well. It sounds f'd up, I know, why would anyone go for less? Haha life is a complex thing that we'll never understand... :hmmmm2:

Tip: If your really that attractive you should approach guys you like rather than waiting for them to approach you (which may never happen if they don't have the balls).
Reply 12
Men are more likely to approach average woman (you can google this), because the chances of rejection are lower.

Don't think this is true, they still make a futile attempt with the very attractive girl first.
Pics to prove you're more attractive please or it didn't happen
Approachability is the main issue here , you can be stunning as **** but intimidating which can put people off. Smile, be open, be welcoming !
Maybe she got a fatty 🍑
Original post by mxgx
Maybe it's that attitude of superiority that's just not doing it for the guys.

I know the question makes me sound bad but i'm not at all like that in real life, infact, personality wise me and my friend are very similar yet she gets more attention. Maybe i'm just really ugly or have different ideals of beauty compared to guys haha. Oh well, I was just curious.

Guys may find you intimidating or maybe your friend has something that you dont have like a personality or charm.
Reply 18

could be that she looks more approachable than you.

attractiveness is just one component in getting approached

I am a guy and in all honesty most of the time I go out for a night out a girl will approach me to flirt or something. I even got bought a drink once. This does not happen to most men, and I do not think I am good enough looking that I should get approached this often. I think part of it is that my face looks very approachable.
maybe she just has that sense of humour that guys love?:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending