The Student Room Group

Tree diagram help

Im not sure what to do next to find the answer
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1479402019.997987.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
11/50 safe
I'm rubbish at probability, well, probably!

It looks like you've done all the calculations. What is the total probability of arriving late in London? There are two paths that lead to that, so I'd add those probabilities.
Reply 3
Original post by RogerOxon
I'm rubbish at probability, well, probably!

It looks like you've done all the calculations. What is the total probability of arriving late in London? There are two paths that lead to that, so I'd add those probabilities.

Thank you so much :smile:

I got 11/50

Also, would you be able to help me on question D

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1479402503.244636.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
The question is: How many cars are under £4000 in Peter's garage?

If you look at the box plot, you'll see that £4000 corresponds to the lower-end of the box. What does that tell you?
If you need some help on reading box plots, this looks good.
Reply 6
The question is: How many cars are under £4000 in Peter's garage?

If you look at the box plot, you'll see that £4000 corresponds to the lower-end of the box. What does that tell you?

Does that mean John's garage has more cars than Peters or something along those lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Does that mean John's garage has more cars than Peters or something along those lines?

Part (d) is just about Peter's garage.

The box in the box plot encloses the middle 50% of the population. The £4000 value corresponds to the lower side of the box, so what proportion of the cars are below that value? Once you know that, you can calculate the number of cars below £4000.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Part (d) is just about Peter's garage.

The box in the box plot encloses the middle 50% of the population. The £4000 value corresponds to the lower side of the box, so what proportion of the cars are below that value? Once you know that, you can calculate the number of cars below £4000.

LQ- £4000
The proportion of the cars that are below £4000 are 8.

I think I do 240/8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
LQ- £4000
The proportion of the cars that are below £4000 are 8.

I think I do 240/8

What fraction of the cars are in the (price) lower quartile? It's quartile, as in quarter.
Reply 10
What fraction of the cars are in the (price) lower quartile? It's quartile, as in quarter.

4000/4*1 = 1000

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 24 but I'm 99% probs wrong

43/9 of 240?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by z_o_e
4000/4*1 = 1000

£4000 is the price - Peter has 240 cars, with a quarter of them below £4000, as that's the lower quartile price.
Reply 13
£4000 is the price - Peter has 240 cars, with a quarter of them below £4000, as that's the lower quartile price.

Lol i really don't understand this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Lol i really don't understand this.

We're told that Peter has 240 cars. From the box plot, a quarter are under £4000, so that's 240/4 = 60 cars under £4000.
Reply 15
We're told that Peter has 240 cars. From the box plot, a quarter are under £4000, so that's 240/4 = 60 cars under £4000.

So a quarter of the total amount of cars

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
So a quarter of the total amount of cars

Yes, a quarter of the total number of cars.
they still got that tree
this is why i give up in maths

Quick Reply

Latest