The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by puddleduck
Anyone heard from SGUL? :/

Nope, not heard from anyone yet. Thought I'd have heard from Warwick by now considering the UKCAT scores were sent out before GAMSAT, but still nothing... This is the time period I hate the most, although I can imagine post interview waiting for an offer will be worse haha.
Original post by Marathi
Nope, not heard from anyone yet. Thought I'd have heard from Warwick by now considering the UKCAT scores were sent out before GAMSAT, but still nothing... This is the time period I hate the most, although I can imagine post interview waiting for an offer will be worse haha.

Waiting drives me crazy :P I swear I'm gonna get an RSI from hitting the refresh key constantly for the next few months :P
Anybody know where i can find the applicants:interview and interview:redface:ffer ratios?

(I've applied to Liverpool, Cardiff and Keele)
Original post by DanaUS
I attended the interview last year. The advise I can give is to be well prepared to think on your feet especially in the three stations where they ask the life science questions. Don't get bogged down in revising abstruse intricacies because you think the questions are going to be super-duper difficult because it is Cambridge. For the general questions, books on MMI available for purchase on the market are fine. Beware about being asked how your previous or current research at undergrad or postgrad level relate to medicine. I know it sounds trite, but relax. They are very nice and helpful thorought the all process: no gotcha questions.Good luck, you will do great. 😆

Hey, I also got an offer from Cambridge last Friday (11/11th). What do you think is essential for revision for the science-based questions? I'm just wondering because my background isn't biology and chemistry-oriented, although I have been revising a lot of high school biology and chemistry the past few days (just the basics though). What would you recommend in terms of level of difficulty and what is the third science-based module? And do you think they your problem-solving skills more than what you actually already know?

Thanks! :smile:
Won't be hearing anything from Warwick for a while.
Emailed me to confirm they won't be giving out interviews until late December-early January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chocoholic20
Anybody know where i can find the applicants:interview and interview:redface:ffer ratios?

(I've applied to Liverpool, Cardiff and Keele)

Hi,

I can't speak for the other two, but the School of Medicine at Keele has all the info on number of applicants, anticipated number of interviews, dates and the interview process online in an 'Applicants' Area' http://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/mbchb5years/applicantsarea/

Hope this is useful - and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Sam - Digital Team
I cannot believe this ****, what exactly do you need to do to get into med lol, i have literally done everything possible!!! I know people who dont jack all and high UKCAT and managed to get in...#Life
Original post by Ama2007
I cannot believe this ****, what exactly do you need to do to get into med lol, i have literally done everything possible!!! I know people who dont jack all and high UKCAT and managed to get in...#Life

You ok? :frown:
:frown: chin up. It's early in the cycle. Have you heard bad news from places or just frustrated by the wait?

We just have to try and jump through all of the hoops. I learned when I got rejected from undergrad at school that it doesn't matter how much I wanted it or how much work experience I had, if I didn't tick all their boxes I wouldn't get in. Unfortunately just have to nail those entrance exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ama2007

I feel the same way x
The UKCAT should be abolished! A lot of highly capable students miss out just because they did badly on the UKCAT. The reasoning for establishing the UKCAT as a entry requirement seems logical but it is not really reflective of a students potential to become a doctor. Admissions tutor should be more pragmatic on deciding a candidates potential to become a doctor.

The GAMSAT and BMAT exams on the other hand are very fair and reasonable.
Original post by Tsar101
The UKCAT should be abolished! A lot of highly capable students miss out just because they did badly on the UKCAT. The reasoning for establishing the UKCAT as a entry requirement seems logical but it is not really reflective of a students potential to become a doctor. Admissions tutor should be more pragmatic on deciding a candidates potential to become a doctor.

did you sit it?
Original post by Tsar101

the ukcat?
I applied to both Newcaslte and Kings and haven't heard back yet but other people have, should I expect a rejection now then?
Original post by Thomas96
I applied to both Newcaslte and Kings and haven't heard back yet but other people have, should I expect a rejection now then?

No news is good news!
Original post by Thomas96

I haven't noticed any graduates getting interviews from King's yet. Just undergrads at the moment I think.
Original post by Tsar101

Errr... can't say I agree. In an argument about the entrance exam not being reflective of the skills required to be a doctor, saying the GAMSAT is fair is rather ridiculous considering two thirds of it involve writing argumentative and reflective essays to vague historical quotes and digesting poetry and literature to determine the most appropriate underlying thematic answer... hardly testing our drug metabolism knowledge or our communication skills is it.

All 3 entrance exams are very much 'hoop jumping' requirements.

Edit: this wasn't meant to sound arsey so sorry if it does. Still harbouring some ill feeling towards GAMSAT haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themightylaa
Errr... can't say I agree. In an argument about the entrance exam not being reflective of the skills required to be a doctor, saying the GAMSAT is fair is rather ridiculous considering two thirds of it involve writing argumentative and reflective essays to vague historical quotes and digesting poetry and literature to determine the most appropriate underlying thematic answer... hardly testing our drug metabolism knowledge or our communication skills is it.

All 3 entrance exams are very much 'hoop jumping' requirements.

Edit: this wasn't meant to sound arsey so sorry if it does. Still harbouring some ill feeling towards GAMSAT haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I kind of understand where you are coming from. But relative to other entrance exams, the UKCAT is the most unfair way of discriminating between applicants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Whether we think its fair or not I dont think its going to make a difference, these tests are used by unis, they dont yet have a better method so for the tie being they will determine our future unfortunately.

I sat the UKCAT (twice), GMSAT, and the BMAT.

BMAT and GAMSAT you can actually revise for and are similar to uni/school exam style.
UKCAT is a total fluke.
The end.
Original post by Ama2007
Whether we think its fair or not I dont think its going to make a difference, these tests are used by unis, they dont yet have a better method so for the tie being they will determine our future unfortunately.

I sat the UKCAT (twice), GMSAT, and the BMAT.

BMAT and GAMSAT you can actually revise for and are similar to uni/school exam style.
UKCAT is a total fluke.
The end.

Calling the UKCAT a fluke is a bit unfair. Yes there's an element of luck, but by saying that you're undermining people's good results. If it was a fluke people would score the same results at the start of 'revising' as the end. I, and many others, improved hugely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending