The Student Room Group

Japanese: Leeds or Sheffield?

I'm hoping to study Japanese at uni, and both Leeds and Sheffield seem like good options, but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which is best, for Japanese or just as a place to study in general? I know Leeds has its year abroad in year 2, instead of year 3, which makes me a little nervous.. but Leeds also seems to have better results, so I'm really torn :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you looked the cultural (non-language) modules offered at each university? If you're particularly interested in history or politics for instance, it would be a good idea to choose the university that offers the most Asian history modules.
Reply 2
Hi!
I'm a first year Japanese Studies student at Sheffield, so feel free to ask me any questions about Sheffield :biggrin:
I also applied to Leeds, but I ended up choosing Sheffield over it as I noticed there were more credits on cultural modules at Leeds (at least in first year) and I'm much more interested in the language modules.
As for the year abroad, I know I definitely would not feel prepared to go away next year, especially if there were less language classes! But obviously I never went to Leeds, so I'm not sure how they go about it :P
If I'm totally honest, the reason why Sheffield has lower results may be because they're quite lenient with requirement grades and seem to be happy to give most people a chance, even though lots of people find the course a bit too difficult/can't keep up. The language teaching is extremely good, the teachers are very clear and helpful whilst also giving you a lot of information. I have a friend who went to SOAS before coming to Sheffield and it was his opinion that the teachers are much easier to understand here.
Overall though, I'm thoroughly enjoying the course here so far :smile:
Reply 3
Will do :smile: Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Snufkin
Have you looked the cultural (non-language) modules offered at each university? If you're particularly interested in history or politics for instance, it would be a good idea to choose the university that offers the most Asian history modules.
Reply 4
Thank you for the information! I have been leaning a bit more towards Sheffield lately- that secod year abroad does seem like a lot haha. Can I ask how easy it was for you to get accepted onto the course? I'm currently doing my A-Levels, but I haven't picked a language as a subject.. will it hold me back, or will they not mind that I haven't done one? My current subjects are English language, history, ancient history, and psychology- thanks again :smile:
Original post by saengdao
Hi!
I'm a first year Japanese Studies student at Sheffield, so feel free to ask me any questions about Sheffield :biggrin:
I also applied to Leeds, but I ended up choosing Sheffield over it as I noticed there were more credits on cultural modules at Leeds (at least in first year) and I'm much more interested in the language modules.
As for the year abroad, I know I definitely would not feel prepared to go away next year, especially if there were less language classes! But obviously I never went to Leeds, so I'm not sure how they go about it :P
If I'm totally honest, the reason why Sheffield has lower results may be because they're quite lenient with requirement grades and seem to be happy to give most people a chance, even though lots of people find the course a bit too difficult/can't keep up. The language teaching is extremely good, the teachers are very clear and helpful whilst also giving you a lot of information. I have a friend who went to SOAS before coming to Sheffield and it was his opinion that the teachers are much easier to understand here.
Overall though, I'm thoroughly enjoying the course here so far :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Bamb00
Thank you for the information! I have been leaning a bit more towards Sheffield lately- that secod year abroad does seem like a lot haha. Can I ask how easy it was for you to get accepted onto the course? I'm currently doing my A-Levels, but I haven't picked a language as a subject.. will it hold me back, or will they not mind that I haven't done one? My current subjects are English language, history, ancient history, and psychology- thanks again :smile:

For Sheffield, I'm pretty sure they don't care if you don't have a language at A-level. I did Psychology, Classical Civilisation, Eng lang and German at A-level and I got offers from all 5 unis even though I only had a C in German AS at that time (and As in the others). If you put Sheffield as your firm, I know they're pretty lenient with grades. The standard offer is ABB, but I reckon they'll still take you if you're one or two grades off. There are quite a few people in my year who didn't get the grades, I think.
I had a friend who applied also for Japanese at Sheffield and she didn't get in with BCC, but obvs that's quite a few grades below - above that and you should be fine :smile:
Reply 6
Good to know! Thank you :smile::smile:
Original post by saengdao
For Sheffield, I'm pretty sure they don't care if you don't have a language at A-level. I did Psychology, Classical Civilisation, Eng lang and German at A-level and I got offers from all 5 unis even though I only had a C in German AS at that time (and As in the others). If you put Sheffield as your firm, I know they're pretty lenient with grades. The standard offer is ABB, but I reckon they'll still take you if you're one or two grades off. There are quite a few people in my year who didn't get the grades, I think.
I had a friend who applied also for Japanese at Sheffield and she didn't get in with BCC, but obvs that's quite a few grades below - above that and you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending