The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyanRHwood
Does anyone know of any of the unis for the para science BSc that dont interview

I don't think that plymouth interview
Hi Everyone,

I have applied for (in no particular order):

Teesside
Birmingham City
Edge Hill
Herts
Bradford

I have had an interview offer from one so far :smile:

Amy
Original post by bumbleberry95
Did you do any fitness tests? How many universities actually do them? Also how difficult are they? I've been looking at the requirements and panicking a little! I go to the gym most days but my stamina isn't very good. I've been practising planks and press ups but I've been finding it difficult to practise grip tests ... Any advice?

I know for certain that ARU do a fitness test. BCU did not do a fitness test. I can't really speak beyond BCU.
Original post by angelseyes
Nick do you enjoy being a paramedic? what doors has it opened for you?

I'm not a Paramedic yet haha, I'm a 1st year at BCU my friend.

Ta,

N
Original post by Nickko99

Ta,

N

lol oh! well do you enjoy your studies so far?
Hi everyone,

I was in the Paramedic Science 2016 thread and I've just found this thread for 2017. I had two offers for 2016 entry but unfortunately I didn't achieve the grades to get in. I'm now studying an Access course via distance learning and will be reapplying for Paramedic Science 2017. I had interviews at Bournemouth and Suffolk this year so if anyone has any questions about those unis, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by AmboAmbition
Hi everyone,

I was in the Paramedic Science 2016 thread and I've just found this thread for 2017. I had two offers for 2016 entry but unfortunately I didn't achieve the grades to get in. I'm now studying an Access course via distance learning and will be reapplying for Paramedic Science 2017. I had interviews at Bournemouth and Suffolk this year so if anyone has any questions about those unis, feel free to ask :smile:

That's such a shame 😔 Well done on getting the offers though! I've applied for Bournemouth. Could you give me a few pointers for the interview? How's long did it last? Should I do something background reading? Thanks in advance! Good luck with your application!
That's such a shame 😔 Well done on getting the offers though! I've applied for Bournemouth. Could you give me a few pointers for the interview? How's long did it last? Should I do something background reading? Thanks in advance! Good luck with your application!

I think we were only there for a few hours. First we all watched a video and had to write what we thought was good/bad about the way the patient was treated in the video. Then we had individual interviews where I was asked why I thought I'd be a good paramedic and where I'd like my career to go in the future :smile:
I think we were only there for a few hours. First we all watched a video and had to write what we thought was good/bad about the way the patient was treated in the video. Then we had individual interviews where I was asked why I thought I'd be a good paramedic and where I'd like my career to go in the future :smile:

Oh fab thanks, that will be so helpful if I get invited to interview. Have you applied for different unis this year or the same? 😊
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be a pain and ask so many questions but how soon did Bournemouth get back to you with an offer after your interview? 😊
Sorry to be a pain and ask so many questions but how soon did Bournemouth get back to you with an offer after your interview? 😊

I think it was 2 or 3 months between my interview and receiving an offer. They really like to make people sweat lol! I haven't applied anywhere yet, I definitely will be applying to Bournemouth again but I'm not sure yet whether I will apply anywhere else :smile: I don't mind answering questions! Fire away haha
Does anyone know about which universities do fitness tests and which ones don't? I'm struggling to find the information for the unis I've applied for, either that or they just don't do them.
Reply 72
Can anyone rank what Unis offer the most practical time. on which? I see a lot of courses with 50%+ "independent study"

Ta,

N

Were you one of the students at the BCU open day on the 8th October?

I had a chat at the end of the simulated training demonstration with one of the first year students and he was really helpful.

Wouldn't mind if you could read over my personal statement for me :smile:

Thanks
Ellie
Original post by _homesick__
Were you one of the students at the BCU open day on the 8th October?

I had a chat at the end of the simulated training demonstration with one of the first year students and he was really helpful.

Wouldn't mind if you could read over my personal statement for me :smile:

Thanks
Ellie

Hey there Ellie

I was there indeed but I'm not sure haha

I remember speaking to an Asian girl ? If thats you ?

But nevertheless I'd be more than happy to look at it for you,

Ta,

N
Original post by angelseyes
lol oh! well do you enjoy your studies so far?

Yeah dude it is fantastic :smile:
Hey there Ellie

I was there indeed but I'm not sure haha

I remember speaking to an Asian girl ? If thats you ?

But nevertheless I'd be more than happy to look at it for you,

Ta,

N

No I have blond hair and tattoos, I think it's you I spoke to.. we were chatting about uniform funding and what boots to buy and stuff :smile:

I'll PM if you if that's okay

Ellie
Anyone else having extreme difficulty in keeping their personal statement below 4000 characters? Initially I managed to, but then got it checked over by a few of the doctors and nurses I work with, made amendments and it ended up being 600+ characters over again!

I managed to get it down to 4216 characters, but there's literally nothing else I can get rid of :frown:
Original post by _homesick__
Anyone else having extreme difficulty in keeping their personal statement below 4000 characters? Initially I managed to, but then got it checked over by a few of the doctors and nurses I work with, made amendments and it ended up being 600+ characters over again!

I managed to get it down to 4216 characters, but there's literally nothing else I can get rid of :frown:

Ahhh I remember this struggle well, unfortunately you have to be ruthless at the cutting down stage and is one of the reasons you'll never be happy with your statement, because you always want to add more.

I'd advise using the PS service on here, it's really good for that kind of thing and just getting a second set of eyes to help cut it down,
Original post by j_dot
Can anyone rank what Unis offer the most practical time. on which? I see a lot of courses with 50%+ "independent study"

Unfortunately due to the ammount that you need to learn, there is a hell of a lot of independant study.

I can only speak from personal experience of bournemouth, but the contact time and practical time here is pretty good. A typical week would be Monday + tuesday theory in class, wednesday independant study with access to the skills labs, and then thursday friday was practical sessions with the lecturing team.

I would imagine that many of the uni's are similar as its a very practical focused career. I found that there's a lot of self and peer assisted practical work

Quick Reply

Latest