The Student Room Group

Bursary Reform Confusion

Hi there,

I am in process of applying to the PgDip In Adult nursing at 3 universities (all in London), and I'm becoming increasingly confused about the NHS bursary reforms. I will be coming from the North, and do not know anyone who lives in London, so will be having to rent accommodation. Am I right in thinking that postgraduate courses will also be transferred to the loans system, and will receive up to the proposed £12,000 a year?

If this is the case, is any assistance provided with living/accommodation costs? The reason I ask this is because I would like to live in postgraduate halls (studio flat etc.), the cheapest of which seem to be priced at £220 upwards. This totals over £11,000 over a 48 week period, which seems to be extremely expensive, and virtually unaffordable if living on a £12,000 loan (taking into account food, travel costs etc.)? Does anyone who currently studies at KCL, or City currently live in postgrad accommodation, and get by with the alarmingly expensive rent?

Thanks,
Wikiellie :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Wikiellie,
I'm afraid I can't help but I have been wondering exactly the same thing! I've read through so many websites and it still isn't clear.

I did my undergrad at King's and have lived in London since graduating and found that private accommodation is much cheaper than student halls, in case that's helpful!

DLou
The NHS stop paying fees and means tested bursaries (based on your partner or parent's income) in 2017.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/finance-and-support/postgraduate-fees-and-funding/new-postgraduate-loans-2016
Reply 3
Original post by lilibet01
The NHS stop paying fees and means tested bursaries (based on your partner or parent's income) in 2017.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/finance-and-support/postgraduate-fees-and-funding/new-postgraduate-loans-2016

If you read the eligibility section, it actually states that PgDip courses, which virtually all graduate nursing courses are, will be exempt from receiving postgraduate loans. I've heard also that the NHS will continue to fund PgDip courses for next year as well, probably stopping from 2018.

I've decided to apply for the undergraduate courses instead, as there is no way I could afford to live in London on the small bursary available for postgraduates!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hear the Scottish government are proposing increasing their nursing bursary from £5,000 to £10,000. Worth looking into for future nursing applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending