The Student Room Group

Do Universities lie about their entry requirements?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I spoke to an admissions tutor a few weeks ago about my course at my aspirational uni and he mentioned to me last year people applied for an ABB with BCC and still got offers.

That's what I mean, its a load of bullocks
Original post by APersonYo
That's what I mean, its a load of bullocks

Not really - if you are predicted BCC and get an ABB offer you still need to get ABB to be *guaranteed* a place.
Reply 22
I've got a conditional offer at imperial (A*A*A) and a friend for the same course got an offer too but AAA. Why do you think they made two different offers?😕
Original post by Elly1998
I've got a conditional offer at imperial (A*A*A) and a friend for the same course got an offer too but AAA. Why do you think they made two different offers?😕

Ask them directly
Original post by PQ
Ask them directly

I received an alternative offer from what I applied because the places are limited and they said there was higher quality applications, entry requirements were BBB but still said no what if I got like 3 A*'s would they consider me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
universities tend to have standard entry grades which they publish say AAA. When the results are in and they find not enough people have met those grades they sometimes accept people with lower grades. No one knows this at the time applications are made so they are not lying. If they fill all their places in any year they will not lower their grades.

The other issue is a range of grades say AAA-ABB. There are 2 main reasons for this. The main one is a contextual offer. The lower grade is offered if you meet the contextual conditions. This usually applied if you are applying from a school with a poor academic record or if you live in an area where few people go to university.

They also sometimes offer lower grades if you have studied a particular subject or achieved a set grade in that subject
Original post by goal101
I received an alternative offer from what I applied because the places are limited and they said there was higher quality applications, entry requirements were BBB but still said no what if I got like 3 A*'s would they consider me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask them directly
Original post by Elly1998

They determined that your friend was a better applicant than you, and thus rewarded them with a lower offer.
Imperial College are easily the most awkward when it comes to their offers... They always throw something in there to make it harder (like an extra A*/A grade)
I think they just use it as a guide, on estimations for the amount of competition they expect for places in the coming year. But of course they will alter them considering case by case factors like personal statement or reference.
Imperial are lying bastards. They always raise their standard offer by one grade when they give you an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest