The Student Room Group

English A Level

How do I do well in English Literature essays?
Original post by afridai
How do I do well in English Literature essays?

I've been doing English Lit since I joined 6th form in September, I have got an A on all my essays. I think the most important thing is a mature writing style and making sure you're quoting a text for evidence, talking about a device it uses, explain why the author may have used it, analyse it then talk about context relating to it. This leads to an in depth analysis which comments on both technique and what the author was inferring. Hope this helped?
Reply 2
Original post by rosie.mn
I've been doing English Lit since I joined 6th form in September, I have got an A on all my essays. I think the most important thing is a mature writing style and making sure you're quoting a text for evidence, talking about a device it uses, explain why the author may have used it, analyse it then talk about context relating to it. This leads to an in depth analysis which comments on both technique and what the author was inferring. Hope this helped?

Oh wow, that's amazing, well done! I've been getting B's & A's, what books are you studying?
Original post by afridai
Oh wow, that's amazing, well done! I've been getting B's & A's, what books are you studying?

Thank you!! you too. I'm currently studying A Streetcar Named Desire and Duchess of Malfi, while reading Wide Sargasso Sea (our coursework book). What about you?
Reply 4
Original post by rosie.mn
Thank you!! you too. I'm currently studying A Streetcar Named Desire and Duchess of Malfi, while reading Wide Sargasso Sea (our coursework book). What about you?

Oh same I'm doing Duchess of Malfi, Dracula & Dorian Gray!

Quick Reply

Latest