The Student Room Group

Is 15.6 inch too large?

I'm looking at buying a laptop and well I have a rather powerful desktop at home my course still requires some processing power (computer programming ect) so I would like at least an I3 5th generation. The bulk of the work will be done on a different machine but I need to be able to make use of the time between lectures. Sadly as I live an hour from the campus I don't go home between lectures.

I'll also be staring at the screen a lot so that's important. After some thought I've decided to pick up a new machine in the sales. Most of the current sales seem to be on the larger laptops(at least within my budget).

I have seen some good sales so my only real question is this - Has anyone regretted buying such a large machine? It won't be an ultrabook so I'm look at around 2.2kg machines.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was honestly thinking you meant something else 👀
Depends what yu wnat. the best way is to go to soemwhere like John lewis of PC world and look at a selection so you cna get an idea of what 15.6" looks like. These days with ultrabooks or even pcs generally, then the resolutions have shot up much higher so you cna vet away with 11,12 and 13" size screens.

As for weight again 2.2kg is quite heavy by todays standards, but pick up a couple of bags of sugar plys a packet of biscuits and you will get a feel for the weight. Personally I would go smaller and just buy a decent 2nd hand one or see whats in the sales.
thats average
Reply 4
Original post by SomeGuyHere
I'm looking at buying a laptop and well I have a rather powerful desktop at home my course still requires some processing power (computer programming ect) so I would like at least an I3 5th generation. The bulk of the work will be done on a different machine but I need to be able to make use of the time between lectures. Sadly as I live an hour from the campus I don't go home between lectures.

I'll also be staring at the screen a lot so that's important. After some thought I've decided to pick up a new machine in the sales. Most of the current sales seem to be on the larger laptops(at least within my budget).

I have seen some good sales so my only real question is this - Has anyone regretted buying such a large machine? It won't be an ultrabook so I'm look at around 2.2kg machines.

Nothings ever too large
Reply 5
Depends on how much power you need. Not all processors are equal, an i7 in the laptop class is way faster than an i7 the ultrabook class. The classification just represents the best possible given its form factor.

2.2kg is a lot of weight to carry, but if you don't mind it, it leaves you open to a large choice of computers.
Am I the only one who thought something else when seeing this thread name?
Is '15.6 inches too large?'
:toofunny:
:rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
As long as its a MacBook, it doesnt matter.
Woah I was going to message you and ask if you want to hang out sometime but then I realised you're talking about laptops. Thanks.
It's not the size that matters - it's the way you use it that matters.
Too big. You have a desktop for serious work. The laptop should be light and small and have good battery life, so you can carry it around easily and use it.

13 inches is a good size. XPS 13 would be the perfect laptop in terms of power and price. You could get something even less powerful.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what yu wnat. the best way is to go to soemwhere like John lewis of PC world and look at a selection so you cna get an idea of what 15.6" looks like. These days with ultrabooks or even pcs generally, then the resolutions have shot up much higher so you cna vet away with 11,12 and 13" size screens.

As for weight again 2.2kg is quite heavy by todays standards, but pick up a couple of bags of sugar plys a packet of biscuits and you will get a feel for the weight. Personally I would go smaller and just buy a decent 2nd hand one or see whats in the sales.

I might do that. Not worried about going into the shop(I know about how much they will weight) I was just wondering if it's too heavy to carry everyday. If it slowly gets worse.

Original post by Stacyy
Depends on how much power you need. Not all processors are equal, an i7 in the laptop class is way faster than an i7 the ultrabook class. The classification just represents the best possible given its form factor.

2.2kg is a lot of weight to carry, but if you don't mind it, it leaves you open to a large choice of computers.

I know. famously the "M" in graphics cards are the same. I think I could probably be fine with an ultrabook they are just so much more expensive.

Original post by Reachin4TheStars

The adult in me wanted to change the name. The childish side of me hit post before he could. XD
Original post by donutellme
Too big. You have a desktop for serious work. The laptop should be light and small and have good battery life, so you can carry it around easily and use it.

13 inches is a good size. XPS 13 would be the perfect laptop in terms of power and price. You could get something even less powerful.

Dat avi to thread title correlation

[video="youtube;PhObj2OXJP8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhObj2OXJP8[/video]
Original post by SomeGuyHere
I might do that. Not worried about going into the shop(I know about how much they will weight) I was just wondering if it's too heavy to carry everyday. If it slowly gets worse.

I know. famously the "M" in graphics cards are the same. I think I could probably be fine with an ultrabook they are just so much more expensive.

The adult in me wanted to change the name. The childish side of me hit post before he could. XD

lol no worries, I just thought of it as soon as I seen that name lol dont worry about it :biggrin:
Original post by donutellme

The dell is way out of my price range. Around £300 is what I'm willing to spend. I also doubt I want a refurbished laptop.
Its a personal choice. I just got bored of carrying laptops round. carry the equivalent weight round for a few weeks and get a feel for it plus how often you need it.
Original post by Unown Uzer
It's not the size that matters - it's the way you use it that matters.

I guess 2" will suffice then hey?
Reply 18
Original post by Reachin4TheStars

What a pervert. :nah:
Original post by Josb
What a pervert. :nah:

na its because like TSR comes up with the unexpected so maybe it was that kind of thread lol. :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending