The Student Room Group

Fake tan, can you get a good professional and natural looking tan using home products

Can you get a good tan using moisturisers with fake tan in them or other tanning lotions and mousses or do you need to go on a sun bed or have a spray tan done professionally in order to achieve this. I'm not going to do this since I know it's not good for you but I just wondered about it
Have you ever used fake tan
Which one did you use and what was the best one you used. What is your experience with tanning lotions
How often do you have to do them if it's a tanning lotion you do yourself
How often do you have to do it if it's a spray tan and how often if it's a sunbed
Is it realistic to expect that you could walk around all the time with a fake tan and people could think it's your own skin colour? Do you do this or know anyone who does?
Reply 1
Heyy,
Yes, this year I started fake tanning with St, Tropez mousse and it looks really natural yet still tanned (if that makes sense), I'd do it about one a week to maintain it but I know people who do it once and then mix a little bit in with their daily moisturiser the only probably with this is over time it will look patchy and dry so you will have to do a major exfoliation and start again. Yes it is realistic, obviously spray tanning and sunbeds are much more convenient but with lotions you save a lot of money and you can do it all yourself in your own home. If you have any further questions, just ask :smile: I dont know how often you have to spray tan or use a sunbed as I've never done that, my fake tan mousse gives me the look I wanted.
Reply 2
Original post by crdeaves
Heyy,
Yes, this year I started fake tanning with St, Tropez mousse and it looks really natural yet still tanned (if that makes sense), I'd do it about one a week to maintain it but I know people who do it once and then mix a little bit in with their daily moisturiser the only probably with this is over time it will look patchy and dry so you will have to do a major exfoliation and start again. Yes it is realistic, obviously spray tanning and sunbeds are much more convenient but with lotions you save a lot of money and you can do it all yourself in your own home. If you have any further questions, just ask :smile: I dont know how often you have to spray tan or use a sunbed as I've never done that, my fake tan mousse gives me the look I wanted.

Hello thanks for your reply. I did some research and I concluded that the St tropes range was one of the best ones and you seemed to have confirmed this for me. I understand there is a lotion and a mousse. Have you used the lotion as well and if so how does this compare to the mousse?
Did you find it came off on your clothEs or bedsheets?
Does it have a smell?
Was it quite straightforward to apply? Do you just rub it on with your hands?
How long do you have to wait before it is completely dry and done? Do you put it on before you go to bed or in the morning.
Do you put it all over your body or just on areas like arms and neck and face that people will actually see?
Do you put it on your face and also do you use makeup over it?
How would you describe the colour it gives you? Does it change or fade throughout the week?

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Icefairy123
Hello thanks for your reply. I did some research and I concluded that the St tropes range was one of the best ones and you seemed to have confirmed this for me. I understand there is a lotion and a mousse. Have you used the lotion as well and if so how does this compare to the mousse?
Did you find it came off on your clothEs or bedsheets?
Does it have a smell?
Was it quite straightforward to apply? Do you just rub it on with your hands?
How long do you have to wait before it is completely dry and done? Do you put it on before you go to bed or in the morning.
Do you put it all over your body or just on areas like arms and neck and face that people will actually see?
Do you put it on your face and also do you use makeup over it?
How would you describe the colour it gives you? Does it change or fade throughout the week?

Thanks!

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'm going to try and answer all your questions as clear as possible.

I have not used the lotion, only the mousse.
It only came off on clothes etc when it was still drying, once completely dry not at all and I have white bedsheets as well and didn't notice anything.
I've tried a few fake tans and I've found they all have a smell unfortunately but it is somewhat subdued to other ones I've tried.
Yes very straightforward to apply, I dispense product on a fake tan mit, rub in circle motions on body making sure it's all blended and no harsh lines and you're done.
I've put it on in the morning and at night as well. I recommend at night more because you're less conscious of it. The thing that surpised me the most about it is it takes a long time to completely dry (few hours) so what I do is apply it before I go to bed, put some leggings and a jumper on and just wash it off in the morning. If you leave it on for 8 hours you get the same colour as if you leave it on for 12 so don't worry about leaving it on too long, after you shower it will look really natural.
I personally prefer to apply it all over (apart from face) but with proper blending I believe if you just did certain areas it would look okay.
I've tried using it on my face but 1. it fades much quicker and 2. I have a lot of acne scars so if I apply a lot it makes them harder to cover with makeup. Yes, if I fake tan my face I still wear makeup as it doesn't cover your skin it just kind of tints it.
The colour is very natural, kind of sun kissed tan, not too olive toned nor too orange. It kind of works with your skin tone so if you're really pale it adjusts so that it looks natural for you. You can apply two layers to make it darker also or even more.
It fades slightly during the week but you still keep the colour just lose the kick a bit, if you moisturise it fades naturally.

xoxo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending