The Student Room Group

Resigning from minimum wage job and holiday pay

I wish to resign from my part-time job to focus on uni, but i just want to know how holiday pay works. Will i get any money after i resign for holidays i haven't taken.

My contract states this, if someone can help me make sense of it:

"Upon termination of your employment, payment will normally be made for all unused accrued holiday entitlement. Payment for holidays in these circumstances will be made on a pro-rata basis to your service in the current holiday year. If you have taken more annual holiday entitlement than you have accrued during the holiday year, the balance will be deducted from any outstanding pay"

It's at KFC if that helps
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DH1'
I wish to resign from my part-time job to focus on uni, but i just want to know how holiday pay works. Will i get any money after i resign for holidays i haven't taken.

My contract states this, if someone can help me make sense of it:

"Upon termination of your employment, payment will normally be made for all unused accrued holiday entitlement. Payment for holidays in these circumstances will be made on a pro-rata basis to your service in the current holiday year. If you have taken more annual holiday entitlement than you have accrued during the holiday year, the balance will be deducted from any outstanding pay"

It's at KFC if that helps

Seems perfectly clear.

Work out how many weeks you have worked there in months or weeks for the contractual year.

Pro rata your annual holiday entitlement against that.

If you have taken less than this, then they will pay you cash for holidays not taken. If you have taken more then they will deduct it from your final salary cheque.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Seems perfectly clear.

Work out how many weeks you have worked there in months or weeks for the contractual year.

Pro rata your annual holiday entitlement against that.

If you have taken less than this, then they will pay you cash for holidays not taken. If you have taken more then they will deduct it from your final salary cheque.

It says that their holiday year runs from 1st October to 30th September every year. Is that the same as the contractual year? Or is this the date from which i started(2nd November 2015)?

My holiday entitlement is 4 weeks. So should i wait a bit longer before handing in notice to ensure i get it? I didn't take all of my holiday entitlement last year, but i understand this is now lost and not carried on to this year
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DH1'
It says that their holiday year runs from 1st October to 30th September every year. Is that the same as the contractual year? Or is this the date from which i started(2nd November 2015)?

My holiday entitlement is 4 weeks. So should i wait a bit longer before handing in notice to ensure i get it? I didn't take all of my holiday entitlement last year, but i understand this is now lost and not carried on to this year

How many days does it say 20 or 28?
The clock starts running from 1 October.
Lest say you did until the end of November, then that would be 2/12 months
That means you would be entitled to 1/th of your annual holiday entitlement so either 3 1/3 days or 4 2/3 days, less any days already taken. Toy cna put your clauclation in your resignation letter or confirm it with HR before you resign.

If you didnt take all your holiday entitlement, then read your contract and see if it is just lost or whether they should have paid you.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
How many days does it say 20 or 28?
The clock starts running from 1 October.
Lest say you did until the end of November, then that would be 2/12 months
That means you would be entitled to 1/th of your annual holiday entitlement so either 3 1/3 days or 4 2/3 days, less any days already taken. Toy cna put your clauclation in your resignation letter or confirm it with HR before you resign.

If you didnt take all your holiday entitlement, then read your contract and see if it is just lost or whether they should have paid you.

It says 28.

I haven't taken any of my holidays for this contractual year. How long do i have to work to get the full 4 weeks?
Original post by DH1'
It says 28.

I haven't taken any of my holidays for this contractual year. How long do i have to work to get the full 4 weeks?

1.10.16 to 30.9.17
Original post by J-SP
And that would be full time hours as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

V good point. I'm getting thread drunk.

If it were me and I suspected potential issues, then i would have confirmed it with HR and then included the calculation somewhere on my resignation e-mail/ letter. The OP must really need the money if they didnt take all their holiday the previous year, but are worried about it now. Manager probably couldnt care less, so the bigger challenge imo is making sure its not overlooked.
Original post by J-SP
There's little chance of them getting last year's holiday. You usually have the ask for it to be rolled over before the end of the previous holiday year, and even then they typically will restrict the allowance to 5 days, unless you get some kind of agreement from line managers/HR that you can take over more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, but I always check these things and they have nothing to lose. If i saw the contract then it would be easy to tell at a glance.
Original post by DH1'

Their contract is standard and quite clear. You get 4 weeks holiday every year, measured between the dates 1 Oct to 30 Sep. So if you started work on 2 Nov 15, then between 2 Nov 15 and 30 Sep 16 you would have earned 11/12ths of 4 weeks holiday. If you hadn't taken that holiday by 30 Sep 16, you lost it, it no longer exists. The leave year restarts in 1 Oc, so if you hand in your notice and leave say on 30 Nov 16, you will have earned 1/12th of 4 weeks of leave. If you haven't taken any leave in the last month, they will pay you an addition of 1/12th of 4 weeks extra pay. If, for example you have taken 3 days leave in the last month, that's 3 days over your due proportion, and they will remove the additional 2 days pay from your final pay packet.

You won't get the full 4 weeks leave allowance unless you have worked a full leave year, because leave is accrued as you work, it isn't just a lump sum that can be used at any point in any quantity.
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
Their contract is standard and quite clear. You get 4 weeks holiday every year, measured between the dates 1 Oct to 30 Sep. So if you started work on 2 Nov 15, then between 2 Nov 15 and 30 Sep 16 you would have earned 11/12ths of 4 weeks holiday. If you hadn't taken that holiday by 30 Sep 16, you lost it, it no longer exists. The leave year restarts in 1 Oc, so if you hand in your notice and leave say on 30 Nov 16, you will have earned 1/12th of 4 weeks of leave. If you haven't taken any leave in the last month, they will pay you an addition of 1/12th of 4 weeks extra pay. If, for example you have taken 3 days leave in the last month, that's 3 days over your due proportion, and they will remove the additional 2 days pay from your final pay packet.

You won't get the full 4 weeks leave allowance unless you have worked a full leave year, because leave is accrued as you work, it isn't just a lump sum that can be used at any point in any quantity.

That makes sense. Cheers for the explanatation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending