The Student Room Group

Lemur's Grade Growing Journey

Hey everyone! Thanks for visiting my GYGs thread :biggrin:
I did start a thread in September, but I lost a lot of motivation and time going back to school, so I didn't keep up with it. I'm determined to keep this one up though :smile:

Firstly, subjects.
I take:

Spoiler

Ive already got:
Edexcel
Citizenship (shortcourse): A
French: B
Statistics: A*

AQA
RS (shortcourse): A

Other
ECDL: distinction* (A* equivalent)

Targets:
My ideal: 3x9s, 7xA*s, 1xA (FSMQ doesn't have A*) [well obviously, anyone would love those results]
Optimistic: 1x9, 2x8s, 5xA*s, 3xAs
Realistic: 1x9/8, 2x7s, 3x A*s, 4xAs, 2xB
Current Predicted: 1x8, 2x7s, 5xAs, 3xBs

My aim of this thread is to motivate myself enough to go from the realistic grades, to at the minimum the optimistic grades.
Getting a 9 in maths would be my dream, and getting all A*s/As would be brilliant, though biology and potentially electronics may prevent this from happening which I will work hard to prevent.

The future:
My aim is to take A levels in maths, further maths, chemistry and one other. I am applying for two schools (well have applied to one already :biggrin:) and at one would take physics, and at the other would take computing. This is due to various factors including programming language, teachers and content options which I like/don't like meaning these would be the best options at each school.

I'll be updating as and when something important happens, but I'll try to make sure I update once in the week and once at the weekend each week. Mocks start week beginning 21st November (though still no sign of being told which subjects we have mocks in yet) so here's to lots of motivation! :cheers:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Update 1
What I need to do tonight/ tomorrow

- Finish the vectors sheet for maths
- Do my english paragraph on witches in Macbeth
- Finish as much as possible of my business controlled assessment
- Write some more C1 revision cards, and if possible start B1/P1
- Do some quizzes on @Gojimo app
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 2
So I did most my homework
-The English
-The maths
-Some Gojimo quizzes

But I haven't done any more on my business controlled assessment, although I might have time for some of that before I go to bed.
And I didn't have time to do any more science revision cards either :frown:

Over the next week then I need to:
- Complete the revision sessions with the year 11 Skype group, as laid out here:
071116.PNG
- Do my biology homework
- Work on my electronics case designs, and update my previous coursework files to include the feedback.
- Correct my chemistry test I did last week
- Work on the science revision cards I wanted to do today
- Do any other homework I get given

Let's grow those grades!
Eeek!!!
So applications for the sixth form college I applied for closed yesterday. They allocate interviews by lottery (you get a different number of "tickets" based on where you live, siblings etc. and the computer randomly generates a number then they get an interview). I was on the second lowest number of "tickets" due to where I live but I logged onto the applications tracker today and guess what?!
I HAVE AN INTERVIEW!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I don't even know if I actually want to go there because they have much longer days, and it will turn 10 minute travel into about 45 which will eat into my evening, and also it would be physics there, and I probably do prefer computing which is most definitely not an option here, even if I would like it to be. It's definitely a strong possibility however, as I would be much more independent, and this is a top sixth form college in the country (well not as high as it used to be, but still outstanding Ofsted etc. and really high results with over 1000 students per year). I think I'd be much more likely to get into Oxford from there as well, as they have many who go off each year, whereas my school (with only about 130 per year iirc) only has 2-3 maximum, and normally no more than 5 even applying.
Hopefully this will bring me more motivation :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi congrats on the interview and I was wondering how I join the skype group?
Original post by samaad1
Hi congrats on the interview and I was wondering how I join the skype group?

Thanks :smile: I would say pm me your Skype name, but I see you've already joined :biggrin:
So I was out on Tuesday and Wednesday this week so didn't exactly get the most work done I should have. :frown:
I have done my biology and chemistry homework, plus some of my electronics.
We finished our business controlled assessment today. It wasn't great particularly as we hadn't been told we were doing it (our teacher has been away since before half term and just came back today) and I hadn't quite finished my draft which meant an important question at the end wasn't done to the best of my ability. However, we got section 2 of our controlled assessment back today and I got 25/25 to match my 10/10 in section 1 :party: Only problem is that it was a lot longer than it was meant to be so if it gets selected by the exam board for moderation it will need cutting down which might be difficult.
We have also started our history controlled assessment, but I'm finding it rather tricky because we are meant to talk about one factor at a time, but I'm finding that no event really links back to one factor alone making it difficult to write about just one factor in a paragraph. Talking about the sources is also quite tricky so I need to work really hard in history!
We've now started the theory for computing (well we did already do some in year 9, but nothing in year 10 lol) so I'm going through the process of making notes as we cover the content using the PLCs.
Finally got our mock timetable through on Tuesday :smile:
So my timetable goes like this:
(15th Nov--Grade 6 piano exam)
22nd Nov--History IR and Civil Rights unit
23rd Nov--Eng lit paper 2 (BB and poetry)
24th Nov--Maths paper 1 (non calc)
24th Nov--B1 (oh dear...)
24th Nov--Maths paper 2 (calc)
25th Nov--Maths paper 3 (calc)
25th Nov--C1
25th Nov--P1

So lots of revision to do (and lots of practise for my piano exam, as I still can't play many of the scales, do the sight reading, much of the aural and one of my pieces is awful). Will look to ultilise my weekend well, and then after mocks get a head start for the next mocks in February!
Original post by Lemur14
Finally got our mock timetable through on Tuesday :smile:
So my timetable goes like this:
(15th Nov--Grade 6 piano exam)
22nd Nov--History IR and Civil Rights unit
23rd Nov--Eng lit paper 2 (BB and poetry)
24th Nov--Maths paper 1 (non calc)
24th Nov--B1 (oh dear...)
24th Nov--Maths paper 2 (calc)
25th Nov--Maths paper 3 (calc)
25th Nov--C1
25th Nov--P1

So lots of revision to do (and lots of practise for my piano exam, as I still can't play many of the scales, do the sight reading, much of the aural and one of my pieces is awful). Will look to ultilise my weekend well, and then after mocks get a head start for the next mocks in February!

wow 2 mocks lucky you mine are on monday
Original post by samaad1
wow 2 mocks lucky you mine are on monday

I'm not sure lucky is the word I would use lol. Good for me, yes, lucky, no lol.
Good luck with your mocks!
Original post by Lemur14
I'm not sure lucky is the word I would use lol. Good for me, yes, lucky, no lol.
Good luck with your mocks!

Lol was trying to be sarcastic
Original post by samaad1
Lol was trying to be sarcastic

oh lol totally missed that! Yeah it is a bit annoying having two sets, but it does give us the advantage that we don't have all 24 exams in a very short length of time (though it does seem to look like we might have 15 next time assuming we end up with a mock for each paper which is quite a lot for one week!
Original post by Lemur14
oh lol totally missed that! Yeah it is a bit annoying having two sets, but it does give us the advantage that we don't have all 24 exams in a very short length of time (though it does seem to look like we might have 15 next time assuming we end up with a mock for each paper which is quite a lot for one week!

wow your mocks are way different to ours ours is just one paper for each subject apart from maths
Original post by samaad1
wow your mocks are way different to ours ours is just one paper for each subject apart from maths

Wow that's not great :/ how are you meant to know which units need most revision if you haven't got results for all the papers?
Been busy doing loads of work, hence the lack of an update :frown:
Did my piano exam today. I think it went ok, but I did make a couple of stupid mistakes (such as playing Bb major arp rather than Bb minor, oops!) and I still can't do sight reading lol
Now I've done the piano I can really get cracking with revision :smile:
Tomorrow I'm out for most the evening so I'll just do a section of my English specimen paper
On Thursday I will need to finish my electronics case designs (done a fair bit already, but need a real idea now) and probably will do maths paper 2 specimen (was set as our homework)
Then the weekend is for blitzing core science on the most part, but also a bit of history revision (as the notes are already written apart from one small section)
(edited 7 years ago)
Oops! Didn't get round to doing an update this weekend.
So mocks start tomorrow :/ I'm definitely not ready :frown:
History tomorrow should be ok, as I have the revision notes ready written :smile: Will read through them again after I've posted this :smile:
English on Wednesday, notes are partly written, and hope to finish them tomorrow night (ok, maybe not finish them as I don't have the time to write notes on 15 poems, but get a significant number done)
Maths, unfortunately will have to be basically a lot of winging it. I have a couple of topics in my head which I want to go over, which I shall try to do on Wednesday night (or even tomorrow) but if they don't get done, I hopefully should be able to maintain the score I got in June (163/240), or even increase it :smile: without loads of effort.
Biology-well we'll be doing that paper...the one that there was all that fuss about in May? So I know a fair number of the topics which I shall endevor to revise. I thought the paper didn't look to bad myself so I'm quite happy. I do need to read over the stuff I did though, as it was back in year 9 and we did most of it with the cover teacher who wasn't qualified, so gave us a textbook each lesson to work from
Chemistry- I'm fairly confident on the early topics (hoping for a 6 marker on atomic structure, not that that is going to happen). Need to revise the later topics (oils etc.) on Wednesday/Thursday (our english lesson on Wednesday after our exam will be a revision lesson as most the class are in a geography exam so there's no point us doing any Macbeth)
Physics- We did some revision in class today, and will again tomorrow. Definitely need to work on physics, I don't remember a significant proporition of it :/

So that's how prepared I feel for mocks, and the plan for the week. Hopefully I do a better job of it than of my plan this weekend!
Will be back after mocks to say how it went :smile:
Good luck on your mocks man!

and

YOU PLAY PIANO TOO :biggrin:

im only grade 3, having my exams on the 13 dec
Original post by bengaltiger_
Good luck on your mocks man!

and

YOU PLAY PIANO TOO :biggrin:

im only grade 3, having my exams on the 13 dec

Yh, I've played piano since I was 6/7 lol. Good luck with your grading :smile:
Original post by Lemur14