The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OnceUponADoc
Hello King's applicants!
I have recently been offered an interview at King's- much to my surprise!
If anyone is interested in my application stats;
GCSES: 4A*, 8A, 2B, and A in FSMQ additional maths
A level predictions: A*A*A*A (chem, bio, maths, psych)- also achieved a C in further maths AS.
UKCAT: 753
In the end i think its down to the personal statement.. Ill likely mess up this interview, but best of luck to all 2017 entry applicants!

when did you get offered the interview? was it today? are you international?
congrats
Original post by Lostperson
when did you get offered the interview? was it today? are you international?
congrats

I got the offer on the 15th, and i live in the south west. And thank you! Best of luck
Original post by Mo_elheramy
She's from Malaysia, but we both are doing our A-levels in the UK (still considered as international students). What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Ah same, I'm an international student studying here as well! 753 in the UKCAT, AAAA at AS, 4A* predictions, (GCSE equivalent) of 5A* 4As (oops I know) how about your friend (if she doesn't mind? :smile:) I'm guessing you're not international haha
Original post by starmuneer
congrats ! so happy for you

Thanks! Have you heard back from Kings yet? I don't know whether you applied for A100 or A102.
Original post by neuralgal
Thanks! Have you heard back from Kings yet? I don't know whether you applied for A100 or A102.

a100
not yet but you guys have high ukcat scores
Original post by rosemondtan
Ah same, I'm an international student studying here as well! 753 in the UKCAT, AAAA at AS, 4A* predictions, (GCSE equivalent) of 5A* 4As (oops I know) how about your friend (if she doesn't mind? :smile:) I'm guessing you're not international haha

Idk about her GCSE equivalent, but she did her AS last month so no AS grades yet, predicted 4A* and ukcat was 740-760. I'm an International student too btw from Egypt :smile:
Original post by starmuneer
a100
not yet but you guys have high ukcat scores

From reading a couple of freedom of information releases, internationals with a UKCAT as low as about 650 have been interviewed. You may hear back tomorrow!
Original post by OnceUponADoc
Yes, 13th December.. I am the least confident person so i strongly doubt the interview will go anywhere. Where are you applying?

I applied to Kings too but mine is on the 6th December so I know ive already lost it! I'll give it my best though!
Guys I've just realised a detrimental error in my Personal statement.
I had work experience in my home country of Kuwait with a nephrologist and I witnessed him performing a kidney transplant.
However in my personal statement I wrote that I shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon instead.
The reason I wrote it is because I never knew the translation of nephrologist from Arabic into English and when I asked me older brother he told me orthopaedic and I foolishly wrote it without questioning it.
Do you think this may ruin my chances of getting an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 829
Hi everyone :smile:

A message for any graduates applying to the A102 course - I made an A102 specific thread :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4424452
Original post by Kittt
Hi everyone :smile:

A message for any graduates applying to the A102 course - I made an A102 specific thread :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4424452

Thanks for this!
Original post by Johncenaofficial
I had work experience in my home country of Kuwait with a nephrologist and I witnessed him performing a kidney transplant.
However in my personal statement I wrote that I shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon instead.
The reason I wrote it is because I never knew the translation of nephrologist from Arabic into English and when I asked me older brother he told me orthopaedic and I foolishly wrote it without questioning it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say contact the uni on the off-chance they ask about it in the interview but even then KCL interviews are scenario based so the chance of it coming up is unlikely anyways (unless they change it for this year which is why you should contact them)
(edited 7 years ago)
In the interview invitation document, they said that the MMI examiners won't have your UCAS application. However, if they want verification that you've done this activity, then it might get a bit tricky. It doesn't reflect well that you've made an error but it certainly shouldn't eliminate your application from consideration.
Original post by Johncenaofficial

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they check prior to interview for evidence of work experience. If they do offer you an interview though, then I think you should just call them up to clarify that it was a translation error and I highly doubt that it'll impact your application (I was offered a medicine interview years ago, in 2012 and wasn't asked for proof - not sure about how it is nowadays). Personally, I don't think there's much of a point in raising the issue now as you may not (although I do wish that you will!) get an interview offer so it might just be hassle for nothing. However, for peace of mind, you can still just give them a call tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it'll be fine :smile: Good luck!
Original post by AspireExcite
I don't think they check prior to interview for evidence of work experience. If they do offer you an interview though, then I think you should just call them up to clarify that it was a translation error and I highly doubt that it'll impact your application (I was offered a medicine interview years ago, in 2012 and wasn't asked for proof - not sure about how it is nowadays). Personally, I don't think there's much of a point in raising the issue now as you may not (although I do wish that you will!) get an interview offer so it might just be hassle for nothing. However, for peace of mind, you can still just give them a call tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it'll be fine :smile: Good luck!

How do we submit the evidence for work experience? I only wrote about them in my ps but did not provide any official documents of my work experience
Original post by Pewpewpizza
How do we submit the evidence for work experience? I only wrote about them in my ps but did not provide any official documents of my work experience

Sometimes places want a letter of confirmation or a contact that can verify your activity if you get called for interview.
Original post by neuralgal
Sometimes places want a letter of confirmation or a contact that can verify your activity if you get called for interview.

Does this mean I won't have to worry about it unless I've been asked to provide this information?
Does this mean I won't have to worry about it unless I've been asked to provide this information?

Pretty much.

I don't think it's worth the hassle for them to verify your work experience placements by calling up each candidates 4+ placements; so somewhere around 5200 calls, if we only take into account interviewed candidates.
oh my god I asked the admissions when's the latest we can expect hear and even though someone (I think?) said a week or so ago that they would contact all candidates during the next few weeks, they said to me that it's possible that some people get invited in February or March

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending