The Student Room Group

Maths: Bsc, MMath, year abroad/industry

I'm currently looking at Universities for Maths. I want to know how much better a MMath course is than a Bsc course. I would like to do a year abroad, do people recommend this. One of the problems is that very few Universities do an MMath course and a year abroad (or placement) as that is 5 years, and I believe the funding only cover 4 years? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by wil_is_he
I'm currently looking at Universities for Maths. I want to know how much better a MMath course is than a Bsc course. I would like to do a year abroad, do people recommend this. One of the problems is that very few Universities do an MMath course and a year abroad (or placement) as that is 5 years, and I believe the funding only cover 4 years? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You learn the exact same thing during your 3yrs (although at some unis, you are required to take certain modules for your optional choices during your 2nd and 3rd for the MMath course), so it isn't really any better or worse.

I'd say to do the year abroad only if you are very interested in it, and will gain something out of it. If you are unsure about funding, contact SFE.
For funding reasons, always apply to the MMath rather than the BSc, if the university offers both (with the same other options like years abroad etc.) -- it's trivially easy to transfer from the MMath to the BSc, but there's more funding difficulty in getting from BSc to MMath, because you need an extra year of funding, rather than less funding.
Reply 3
Original post by kkboyk
You learn the exact same thing during your 3yrs (although at some unis, you are required to take certain modules for your optional choices during your 2nd and 3rd for the MMath course), so it isn't really any better or worse.

I'd say to do the year abroad only if you are very interested in it, and will gain something out of it. If you are unsure about funding, contact SFE.

Thanks, but MMath is 4 years and Bsc is 3 years, so what do you learn in that extra year? Some extra modules? Do a research project?
Reply 4
Original post by BlueSam3
For funding reasons, always apply to the MMath rather than the BSc, if the university offers both (with the same other options like years abroad etc.) -- it's trivially easy to transfer from the MMath to the BSc, but there's more funding difficulty in getting from BSc to MMath, because you need an extra year of funding, rather than less funding.

Ok thanks for yiur input :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks, but MMath is 4 years and Bsc is 3 years, so what do you learn in that extra year? Some extra modules? Do a research project?

MMath you get a choice of modules and research project to do for the 4th yr. I'd recommend checking out the course structure at the uni you are applying to.
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
MMath you get a choice of modules and research project to do for the 4th yr. I'd recommend checking out the course structure at the uni you are applying to.

Ok thank you 👌

You get to do more high level modules (which is where the interesting stuff happens) and your research project will be worth more credits and be more difficult (but again that's where the interesting stuff happens).

If you have any need at all for a masters, like even a vague interest in a PhD, then take the MMath. I can't think of a good reason not to take it except maybe the extra debt.
Reply 8
Original post by monkyvirus
You get to do more high level modules (which is where the interesting stuff happens) and your research project will be worth more credits and be more difficult (but again that's where the interesting stuff happens).

If you have any need at all for a masters, like even a vague interest in a PhD, then take the MMath. I can't think of a good reason not to take it except maybe the extra debt.

Ok thank you :smile: have you done/ are you doing maths?
Ok thank you :smile: have you done/ are you doing maths?

Graduating with my MMath in Statistics on Friday :biggrin:
Original post by monkyvirus
Graduating with my MMath in Statistics on Friday :biggrin:

Wow well done! Where from?

Hey,

If you are still interested in applying for MMath or BSc Mathematics.

I can definitely tell you both types of degrees have their own benefits, based on the University of Leicester Mathematics course. Both our BSc and MMath courses both have a year in USA in the second year of the course, with our BSc course also having the option for a year in Europe.

Meaning that you won't have to do an additional year of study, so our MMath will still be a 4 year course and our BSc would be a 3 year course, even if you still wanted to study aboard. The only thing that will make it a 4/5 years course is if you want to do a year in industry as well.

I believe the major difference between the two is the fourth in year in MMath, which consist of a research project and modules of your own choice. Which could be really beneficial as some employers would like this, as you have taken the time to increase your knowledge in subject. This could be extremely helpful if you would like to work in the field after you graduate.

So it is really up to you and what you are interested in.

I have provided the link to our mathematics page- so you can have a look at it
https://le.ac.uk/courses/mathematics-mmath

If you like to know more, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that you have and best of luck!

Antonia :smile:
Wow well done! Where from?

St Andrews
Original post by Official Uni of Leicester
Hey,

If you are still interested in applying for MMath or BSc Mathematics.

I can definitely tell you both types of degrees have their own benefits, based on the University of Leicester Mathematics course. Both our BSc and MMath courses both have a year in USA in the second year of the course, with our BSc course also having the option for a year in Europe.

Meaning that you won't have to do an additional year of study, so our MMath will still be a 4 year course and our BSc would be a 3 year course, even if you still wanted to study aboard. The only thing that will make it a 4/5 years course is if you want to do a year in industry as well.

I believe the major difference between the two is the fourth in year in MMath, which consist of a research project and modules of your own choice. Which could be really beneficial as some employers would like this, as you have taken the time to increase your knowledge in subject. This could be extremely helpful if you would like to work in the field after you graduate.

So it is really up to you and what you are interested in.

I have provided the link to our mathematics page- so you can have a look at it
https://le.ac.uk/courses/mathematics-mmath

If you like to know more, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that you have and best of luck!

Antonia :smile:

Hmmm, short of applicants this year, are we Leicester? Can't say I'm surprised, especially as you're giving a load of your department the sack.

Quick Reply

Latest