The Student Room Group

Is Apple Student discount and Finance possible?

Hi everyone,

Current university student here who wants to buy the new macbook pro with their student discount and finance it. Reasons for this are because i dont want to fork out half of my saving in one go and would rather pay it off bit-by-bit over the next 2 years.

Does anyone know if I can claim student discount (currently a full-time student) and finance it at the same time? i phoned Apple and they said I need to be working 16+ hrs a week to be eligible for finance (which im not), however my friend at uni said he got finance and he doesnt work and i actually cant find anything in their terms and conditions for once (or i just cant dine it...).

Any answers will be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:
There's nothing to stop you claiming a student discount and getting finance for it, no. But the finance will be subject to the usual credit checking and scoring, and part of the eligibility for the credit is being in paid employment for 16+ hours. If you put 'unemployed/student' on the credit application, it's going to be rejected. And if you lie about it (which presumably your uni friend did), and they contact your 'employer' to verify the application and find you've lied about it, any credit agreement already approved would be cancelled and the monies due immediately - you could also end up with a fraud warning.

Your choice as to whether or not you want to take the risk of submitting a fraudulent credit application. From a financial point of view, it would make more sense to use your savings rather than taking out credit because the interest rate you get from your savings will be dwarfed by the interest you're charged on any credit agreement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BigBoyGames
Hi everyone,

Current university student here who wants to buy the new macbook pro with their student discount and finance it. Reasons for this are because i dont want to fork out half of my saving in one go and would rather pay it off bit-by-bit over the next 2 years.

Does anyone know if I can claim student discount (currently a full-time student) and finance it at the same time? i phoned Apple and they said I need to be working 16+ hrs a week to be eligible for finance (which im not), however my friend at uni said he got finance and he doesnt work and i actually cant find anything in their terms and conditions for once (or i just cant dine it...).

Any answers will be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Surely the logical thing would be to go to the source and get your friend to help you with your application. If he claims it to be true, then he wont have a problem verifying the fact he did it without working and he can tell you whether he did it online or through a store etc. In my experience people often leave key details out or have inaccurate recollections of things.

Considering you arent working then you have no way of payinh Apple back except through your student loan. Not sure there is a widespread scheme for Apple to finance all students working or not.
I got rejected from Apple finance when I applied for my laptop. I was working 20 hours a week at the time as well, so id just use your savings.

Quick Reply

Latest