The Student Room Group

I've just been sacked

Okay so I've been sacked from a retail job because my service wasn't good enough. I was on my probation. I'm actually almost relieved about this because I would have had to work both Christmas Eve and Boxing Day; I go away every year for Christmas so I basically wouldn't have had a Christmas. I think quality time is so much more important than 'jobs' and 'money'. Also this job just did not suit my personality whatsoever; I wasn't passionate about it in the slightest.

However I am curious about a couple of things: is listing this on my CV a good idea? If I don't put it, there will be a 3 month gap.

Also when can I sign on for JSA? Is it now that I have had my last shift or as soon as I get my last pay check, which will be at the end of December?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Okay so I've been sacked from a retail job because my service wasn't good enough. I was on my probation. I'm actually almost relieved about this because I would have had to work both Christmas Eve and Boxing Day; I go away every year for Christmas so I basically wouldn't have had a Christmas. I think quality time is so much more important than 'jobs' and 'money'. Also this job just did not suit my personality whatsoever; I wasn't passionate about it in the slightest.

However I am curious about a couple of things: is listing this on my CV a good idea? If I don't put it, there will be a 3 month gap.

Also when can I sign on for JSA? Is it now that I have had my last shift or as soon as I get my last pay check, which will be at the end of December?

Thanks

Just say it was a temporary position as technically it would have to convert to permanent. Contact the job centre to find out what your options are.

Thanks

Cheque. We're not in America.

You wont' be able to sign on if you were sacked, because you won't be eligible for JSA in those circumstances.
Reply 3
Original post by Angel83
Just say it was a temporary position as technically it would have to convert to permanent. Contact the job centre to find out what your options are.

Thank you. Good idea. But wouldn't they find out if they contact the place of work for a reference?
Thank you. Good idea. But wouldn't they find out if they contact the place of work for a reference?

Use another employer as a reference. I thought references just stated the dates and duties you carried out. I didn't think they could give you a bad reference?
Reply 5
Original post by Angel83
Use another employer as a reference. I thought references just stated the dates and duties you carried out. I didn't think they could give you a bad reference?
Okay thank you and yes I believe that is true
Original post by Angel83

And what's the OP going to do when she has to take in 3 months-worth of bank statements to validate her claim and they've got the BACS details of her previous employer who sacked her and she's tried to cover up. Or when they check her NI record and find there's been a contribution record from an undisclosed employer.

You can't just hoodwink them like this - they're far too clever for that. The OP's claim for JSA will be rejected because she was sacked, and if she tries to omit this information she could be in big trouble for attempted benefit fraud.
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks

1. You can list it if you wish and just put it down as a contract.

2. Signing on for JSA is more problematic and it would be best if you were interviewed at your local CAB. They need to check as to why you lost your job, if it came under gross misconduct i.e you did soemthing wrong, then they cna apply a sanction and regard you as having made yourself voluntarily unemployed. the sanction cna be 13 weeks. It can look more hopeful if you did nothing wrong and they just decided you werent good enough.

Go and book an appointment with your local CAV so they can assess you.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/

3. It will probably be Universal credit. The numbers are on here, but you definitely wouldnt be paid till toy ceased being paid for the employment done.
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/how-to-claim
Original post by Reality Check
And what's the OP going to do when she has to take in 3 months-worth of bank statements to validate her claim and they've got the BACS details of her previous employer who sacked her and she's tried to cover up. Or when they check her NI record and find there's been a contribution record from an undisclosed employer.

You can't just hoodwink them like this - they're far too clever for that. The OP's claim for JSA will be rejected because she was sacked, and if she tries to omit this information she could be in big trouble for attempted benefit fraud.

I never meant that at all, I just meant for future employers when they apply for jobs.
Original post by Angel83
I never meant that at all, I just meant for future employers when they apply for jobs.

Ok :smile: Fair enough.
Ok :smile: Fair enough.

Are you /redpilled/?
Original post by Carthaginian
Are you /redpilled/?

Are you?
Original post by 999tigger
1. You can list it if you wish and just put it down as a contract.

2. Signing on for JSA is more problematic and it would be best if you were interviewed at your local CAB. They need to check as to why you lost your job, if it came under gross misconduct i.e you did soemthing wrong, then they cna apply a sanction and regard you as having made yourself voluntarily unemployed. the sanction cna be 13 weeks. It can look more hopeful if you did nothing wrong and they just decided you werent good enough.

Go and book an appointment with your local CAV so they can assess you.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/

3. It will probably be Universal credit. The numbers are on here, but you definitely wouldnt be paid till toy ceased being paid for the employment done.
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/how-to-claim

Okay thank you - I hope that when applying to other jobs, potential employers don't reject me just because I was sacked

And I'll be calling them tomorrow

You wont' be able to sign on if you were sacked, because you won't be eligible for JSA in those circumstances.
Okay thanks
Okay thank you - I hope that when applying to other jobs, potential employers don't reject me just because I was sacked

And I'll be calling them tomorrow

You really need to clarify why you left. Not being kept on during probation because you werent suitable is different from if uo were dismissed for gross misconduct. Go and book an appointment with CAB. If it wasnt gross misconduct then you cna just say either the contract ended or you didnt make it through probation. Dont go on about being sacked either to DSS or employers unless that is what actually happened. Alarm bells will go off. That would be a shame if you believe you were sacked for gross misconduct, when in fact you were not. CAB will point out the difference.

If you were indeed sacked then you will have to get advice on how you present that to employers. You have the potential to talk yourself into trouble.

Okay thanks
You really need to clarify why you left. Not being kept on during probation because you werent suitable is different from if uo were dismissed for gross misconduct. Go and book an appointment with CAB. If it wasnt gross misconduct then you cna just say either the contract ended or you didnt make it through probation. Dont go on about being sacked either to DSS or employers unless that is what actually happened. Alarm bells will go off. That would be a shame if you believe you were sacked for gross misconduct, when in fact you were not. CAB will point out the difference.

If you were indeed sacked then you will have to get advice on how you present that to employers. You have the potential to talk yourself into trouble.

Hiya I was on probation and they let me go because of a 'poor performance review'

Hiya I was on probation and they let me go because of a 'poor performance review' so I guess no, it was not gross misconduct
Hiya I was on probation and they let me go because of a 'poor performance review' so I guess no, it was not gross misconduct

Which makes it very different from being sacked for gross misconduct. They cna also tell you when you can try and claim from. Go and see CAB and they can talk you through it (take any documents with you inc employment contract and any correspondence.). Theres a good chance they will not see this as making yourself voluntarily unemployed so you can claim sooner.
Which makes it very different from being sacked for gross misconduct. They cna also tell you when you can try and claim from. Go and see CAB and they can talk you through it (take any documents with you inc employment contract and any correspondence.). Theres a good chance they will not see this as making yourself voluntarily unemployed so you can claim sooner.
Thank you! I will be dropping in to see them tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending