The Student Room Group

Hopeful Bioveterinary Science/Animal Science 2017 Entry

Helllloooooooo, :h:

- Is there anyone who is hoping to study Bioveterinary Science or Animal Science (foundation or standard) in which university for 2017?
- What makes you want to study this degree?
- What are you planning to get out of the degree?

I am hoping to study foundation Bioveterinary Science or Animal Science at Aberystwyth, Liverpool and Harper Adams. I wanted to study this degree because the biology aspects of the animals had interested me greatly, and I wanted to treat the welfare of the animals. I am hoping to proceed further in postgraduate studies of bioveterinary science/veterinary or go to graduate entry of veterinary medicine.

(Plus, I am currently studying Animal Care Level 3, Art and Psychology A-level).

Andddd, good luck for your applications in the uni! :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I've just sent in my application for animal science/biovet :smile: application sent off on 19th october

I've applied to the following:
Reading - animal science
Nottingham - animal science
RVC - bio veterinary science
Surrey - bio veterinary science
Anglia Ruskin - animal behaviour

I'm hoping to follow on to graduate entry VetMed afterwards. I could not apply to VetMed now because I haven't done A level chemistry, hence why I am taking this route :smile:
Reply 2
I'm in my first year of bioveterinary at Lincoln if you have any questions! Good luck with your applications guys :smile:
Original post by loganley
I'm in my first year of bioveterinary at Lincoln if you have any questions! Good luck with your applications guys :smile:

Hey I would love some advice about what to talk about in the interview ?
Reply 4
Original post by im.a.witch
Hey I would love some advice about what to talk about in the interview ?

where is your interview for? I was never interviewed sorry! But probably best to talk about relevant work experience for your course, what makes you want to study it, what would make you a good student.. :smile:
I sent my application in on Friday. I have applied to:
RVC - Bioveterinary science
Liverpool - Bioveterinary science
Surrey - Veterinary biosciences
Reading - Animal science
Glasgow - Veterinary biosciences
Original post by sophielophie
I sent my application in on Friday. I have applied to:
RVC - Bioveterinary science
Liverpool - Bioveterinary science
Surrey - Veterinary biosciences
Reading - Animal science
Glasgow - Veterinary biosciences

What are you hoping to become ? Vet eventually or nurse or some kind of researcher ?
What are you hoping to become ? Vet eventually or nurse or some kind of researcher ?

I'm possibly thinking about becoming a vet... but I'm not fully sure yet... stress and me don't deal well together!
How are your grades? Have you heard back from any yet?
Anyone got any offers?
Original post by sophielophie
Anyone got any offers?

got all mine back apart from Edinburgh
Reply 10
got all mine back apart from Edinburgh

heyy, what unis did you apply to?
I've put Lincoln bio vet as my first choice. I want to go on to vet med (cliche) afterwards for endangered and zoo or livestock animals. Are there many people in your class that have this route? Are they supported by the teaching staff with their plans??? Are you happy on your course? Where else did you look at before going to Lincoln? Why did you pick Lincoln over tem? - sorry for the long list!!
I'm currently 3rd year biovet at RVC if anyone wants to ask me any questions feel free :smile:
I have applied for veterinary medicine this year and have had 3 interviews (1 offer, still waiting to hear from the other 2) and still haven't heard from my 4th uni yet so happy to answer any questions about going on to vet med as well :smile:
Original post by HarrietHarry
I'm currently 3rd year biovet at RVC if anyone wants to ask me any questions feel free :smile:
I have applied for veterinary medicine this year and have had 3 interviews (1 offer, still waiting to hear from the other 2) and still haven't heard from my 4th uni yet so happy to answer any questions about going on to vet med as well :smile:

1 minute ago

Why did you take this route to VetMed and not the generic way? Is applying for VetMed in your 3rd year the same set up as applying for a standard degree??

Original post by Ajacobs12

Why did you take this route to VetMed and not the generic way? Is applying for VetMed in your 3rd year the same set up as applying for a standard degree??

Basically I applied as a grad because I messed up my A levels haha. I could have resat them to get the grades but I decided for me I was better off taking a gap year and getting a tonne of work experience. I applied for biovet after my a levels and 4 days later I had an unconditional offer so then i could go off and have an amazing gap year. It sounds cliche but i believe i really grew as a person that year and i think i will make a better vet because of it.
However, the issue that I have for doing it this way is that you can only get a tuition fee loan for your first degree so I am going to have to fund the full vet med degree by myself. I am in the lucky position where I am able to do this but if you can't then I would suggest retaking a levels instead.
The application through UCAS was exactly the same process but i had less support this time around as last time i had my school helping me.

HI there,
I have applied to do Vet Med at 4 places, and got 2 interviews. RVC rejected me on basis of not enough work experience, - I did have over 4 weeks, but they were not all in the past 18months and in France where I live, it is not normal to work when under 16, so hard to fit the bill. But I am fine on the academic requirements.

However, they have offered me a place for B.Sc. BioVet- ( I applied as my 5th choice) and will probably go to the offer-holders' Open day.

I regret not making a bit of a fuss in December about this work experience problem. SO I'm thinking of writing (telephoning) to see if they could reconsider, and meet me more formally at the open day. Do you think this could be worthwhile ??

My plan would be to do the BSC and go onto the postgrad - how many places are there at RVC ? How many other unis do PG ? - I have only thought of this recently. Is it statistically as difficult to get into as the UG course ? (Am still hoping E'burgh will offer me a place!)

Bristol have offered me the chance to consider a place in an animal science BSc - but it is not clear if I can do PG later, and it is not really an offer? And I don't know which to choose ! Any advice there ???

Is RVC the best place to do a BSc ??

Thanks for any tips!
Fiona
Original post by Ascottdum
HI there,
I have applied to do Vet Med at 4 places, and got 2 interviews. RVC rejected me on basis of not enough work experience, - I did have over 4 weeks, but they were not all in the past 18months and in France where I live, it is not normal to work when under 16, so hard to fit the bill. But I am fine on the academic requirements.

However, they have offered me a place for B.Sc. BioVet- ( I applied as my 5th choice) and will probably go to the offer-holders' Open day.

I regret not making a bit of a fuss in December about this work experience problem. SO I'm thinking of writing (telephoning) to see if they could reconsider, and meet me more formally at the open day. Do you think this could be worthwhile ??

My plan would be to do the BSC and go onto the postgrad - how many places are there at RVC ? How many other unis do PG ? - I have only thought of this recently. Is it statistically as difficult to get into as the UG course ? (Am still hoping E'burgh will offer me a place!)

Bristol have offered me the chance to consider a place in an animal science BSc - but it is not clear if I can do PG later, and it is not really an offer? And I don't know which to choose ! Any advice there ???

Is RVC the best place to do a BSc ??

Thanks for any tips!
Fiona

Hey :smile:

I know it must seem very frustrating to you about RVC but I think even if you appealed it would be highly unlikely for them to reconsider. They do make it very clear in the requirements that you need 4 weeks within 18 months before applying. I think they would need an incredibly good reason for you not having it and unfortunately I don't think yours would cut it.
Here in the UK it is also very difficult to find placements before the age of 16, mostly due to insurance reasons, so everyone is in the same boat there.
Unfortunately there is high competition and you are competing against people who have managed to get well over the requirements - all starting after the age of 16. Sorry I can't be more positive.

As for postgrad - I don't know the exact statistics but I would say that entry is equally competitive. I know this year RVC have 98 places on the PG course (which is significantly higher than previous years but they have now reached a limit and that is the maximum they can take).
The only unis that currently do a shorter 4 year PG course are RVC, Edinburgh and Dublin (but they have very few spaces). However, with a degree you can apply to any of the 5 year courses as well. Statistically if you apply for 4 year at RVC they will also consider you for their 5 year course so you could say that helps your chances if they consider you twice and it only takes up one option on UCAS.
I would have thought that animal science at bristol would then be eligible to apply for 4 year vet med (no guarantee you would get in with either biovet or animal science!) But before accepting a place for animal science I would contact all of the vet schools to double check that it is acceptable.
I have personally loved my time at RVC doing biovet but I can't really comment on Bristol as I have never been there and don't know much about the course so its hard to say which is 'best'. I think that comes down to what you want to get out of being at uni so how you would personally define best!

If I were you and you are really serious about becoming a vet, if you don't get a place this year, work hard this year. Get the best grades you can possibly get. Spend the summer getting work experience requirements sorted out and apply again this year to start in 2018. Take a gap year, travel, do work experience, earn some money whatever works for you.
This is definitely the cheapest and fastest option for you. If work experience is your only issue and academics are good - take a gap year and get the experience. There is no point spending 3 years paying £9250 a year on a degree you don't want to do when it is well within your grasp to get a place.

Hope this has helped
Hey :smile:

I know it must seem very frustrating to you about RVC but I think even if you appealed it would be highly unlikely for them to reconsider. They do make it very clear in the requirements that you need 4 weeks within 18 months before applying. I think they would need an incredibly good reason for you not having it and unfortunately I don't think yours would cut it.
Here in the UK it is also very difficult to find placements before the age of 16, mostly due to insurance reasons, so everyone is in the same boat there.
Unfortunately there is high competition and you are competing against people who have managed to get well over the requirements - all starting after the age of 16. Sorry I can't be more positive.

As for postgrad - I don't know the exact statistics but I would say that entry is equally competitive. I know this year RVC have 98 places on the PG course (which is significantly higher than previous years but they have now reached a limit and that is the maximum they can take).
The only unis that currently do a shorter 4 year PG course are RVC, Edinburgh and Dublin (but they have very few spaces). However, with a degree you can apply to any of the 5 year courses as well. Statistically if you apply for 4 year at RVC they will also consider you for their 5 year course so you could say that helps your chances if they consider you twice and it only takes up one option on UCAS.
I would have thought that animal science at bristol would then be eligible to apply for 4 year vet med (no guarantee you would get in with either biovet or animal science!) But before accepting a place for animal science I would contact all of the vet schools to double check that it is acceptable.
I have personally loved my time at RVC doing biovet but I can't really comment on Bristol as I have never been there and don't know much about the course so its hard to say which is 'best'. I think that comes down to what you want to get out of being at uni so how you would personally define best!

If I were you and you are really serious about becoming a vet, if you don't get a place this year, work hard this year. Get the best grades you can possibly get. Spend the summer getting work experience requirements sorted out and apply again this year to start in 2018. Take a gap year, travel, do work experience, earn some money whatever works for you.
This is definitely the cheapest and fastest option for you. If work experience is your only issue and academics are good - take a gap year and get the experience. There is no point spending 3 years paying £9250 a year on a degree you don't want to do when it is well within your grasp to get a place.

Hope this has helped

Hi again
Well yes, you did help. Still no news from Edinb, but have decided, that is not worth studying to be a vet nurse when I want and can be a VetMed !! So Bristol is out and It'll be Edinb , or RVC or other alternative in FRance.

What do the Unis mean when they say we "have a contract "when we confirm our offers in mid-May ? Do we have to pay anything if we don't go there ?? How binding is it ? I understand they don't want everyone changing minds, but the final placements will be when clearing is over in July.
Thanks for any tips !
Hey everyone, I have a dilemma. I have unconditional offers for bioveterinary from lincoln and rvc, but I dont know which one to take! ANY help will be taken gratefully!!
Hi all,

Here is the official Facebook group for 2017 School of Life Sciences applicants:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1886541624910040/

Darren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending