The Student Room Group

Good Uni's with BTEC Level 3 Extended?

If I had a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing from the Isle of Wight College + GCSE Maths Grade B (C atm, resitting alongside BTEC) what would the best Uni's I could go to be? I guess I'm generally looking for people that got in somewhere with this qualification.
Purely based on league tables, St. Andrews is the best uni that doesn't require an A-level in Maths. (assuming you're planning to do either Mathematics or a Comp Sci course). Bath would consider you if you can get an A in your GCSE Maths. Then there's Southampton, which is meant to be pretty good.

Unfortunately, a lot of the top unis either outright don't consider BTEC students, or only consider BTEC students if you're also studying A-level Maths. I have the same problem.

If you want to ignore league tables, then there are plenty of good unis you can go to. Personally, I'm applying for Swansea, Leicester, Aberystwyth, and Staffordshire, and either Bangor or Uni of South Wales. Cardiff was also one of my potential choices, though I opted against it because they don't do an integrated Masters in Comp Sci.
Original post by Jazzyboy
Purely based on league tables, St. Andrews is the best uni that doesn't require an A-level in Maths. (assuming you're planning to do either Mathematics or a Comp Sci course). Bath would consider you if you can get an A in your GCSE Maths. Then there's Southampton, which is meant to be pretty good.

Unfortunately, a lot of the top unis either outright don't consider BTEC students, or only consider BTEC students if you're also studying A-level Maths. I have the same problem.

If you want to ignore league tables, then there are plenty of good unis you can go to. Personally, I'm applying for Swansea, Leicester, Aberystwyth, and Staffordshire, and either Bangor or Uni of South Wales. Cardiff was also one of my potential choices, though I opted against it because they don't do an integrated Masters in Comp Sci.

I herd Cambridge accept BTEC's but don't quote me on that.
Reply 3
Original post by wanderingmoon
If I had a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing from the Isle of Wight College + GCSE Maths Grade B (C atm, resitting alongside BTEC) what would the best Uni's I could go to be? I guess I'm generally looking for people that got in somewhere with this qualification.

At the end of the day it depends what course you want to do. The best thing to do is look on UCAS search and see the BTEC entry requirements for the top universities. For the course I want to do, not all top universities accept BTEC but a fair few do.
Reply 4
Assuming that you're applying for Comp Sci, universities that I know people have got into with a L3 BTEC Extended Diploma with at least D*DD have been Birmingham, Nottingham, Kings College London and QMUL to name a few, but obviously receiving offers is subjective based on other factors such as your PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending