The Student Room Group

Doing Geography A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reinaadira
I do Edexcel B Geography
How do you revise for A Level honestly? Like what is your definition of revision? For GCSE, i just go over my notes and try to remember them
but my friends sister got 6 a* and 6 a for gcse, and she got E's and U's on her A levels because she didn't revise

Well, do revise. It's your method of how you remember and understand content.
For example I revise Geog as the topics are getting taught. So I would start of a topic by researching more examples and how it's application affects the world, then I would make notes, make them look nice and appealing to look at. Then start with past papers on that topic and hand in essays for my teachers to mark throughout the year so I know where to improve and once all the topics are done I would then move on to whole past papers in timed conditions.
It's just what I've found works for me, but everyone is different so do experiment around with it. (I got a B at AS and GCSE btw)
Hey Guys
I was thinking about doing Geography A Level. Obviously this is very early, but I'm doing the GCSE this year, and so far it's my strongest subject and I really do love it. However, I do know the jump between GCSE to A Level is really big, so I was wondering what are your experiences for Geography A Level and how it is. I'm in Year 10 currently.

I did a-level geography (cant remember the exam board) and absolutely loved it. Like you, id loved geography before a-level as well. Yes, there are quit a few essays, and it is in more detail. But it is really interesting. And some of the stuff you have already done at gcse- you just do it in more detail.
If its your strongest subject id definitely do it.
Well I do Geography Edexcel at GCSE, and I'm not too sure really. I will ask my teacher.
How did you revise Geography at A Level? I'm at an A* now, but sometimes I do lose a couple of silly marks on questions when you just don't know how to answer it.
How was Human and Physical Geography for you? Why was the climate change deal important? I think it's really good how Geography takes into account everything, especially things going on now.
Are you at Uni now?

The best way to revise Geography for AS is to make concise notes. This piece of advice is for case studies, which can be a few facts slipped into essays. However, for geographical concepts as well an overview of geography as a whole- make sure you understand the information.
There is no point in learning something if you don't understand it.

If you're losing a couple marks just because they're silly mistakes- that's great. As long as you're not losing them because you don't understand.
I suggest you read each question properly and underline every single key word in the sentence.

For AS (Edexcel), I did two units:

Unit 1:
-The World At Risk (did natural disasters, climate change and their management etc)
-Globalisation (megacities, migration, transnational corporations, etc)

Unit 2:
-Crowded Coasts
-Rebranding

[your teacher may choose different modules, plus, a lot of AS Edexcel geography isn't divided up into physical and human geography- all topics in each module have a mixture of both, which for me makes it easier and more enjoyable. I would hate doing a topic on solely tectonics!]

I'm not at university (yet, hopefully!) but I'm currently doing Geography at A2 now- really like it!

I hope to pursue International Relations at university.

PS: The climate change deal is an important international example of mitigating climate change- it's the first time a tonne of country's have actually agreed to do something about climate change.

Have a read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34572157
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
I do Edexcel B Geography
How do you revise for A Level honestly? Like what is your definition of revision? For GCSE, i just go over my notes and try to remember them
but my friends sister got 6 a* and 6 a for gcse, and she got E's and U's on her A levels because she didn't revise

Hi I got an A* for OCR geography for GCSE and an A in AQA AS geography.
Honestly, I find Geography the easiest to revise for. I revised for both exams under a week before the exams its not as hard as you think. For GSCE and A-level I just memorised straight from the CGP revision guide. The jump to A-level is really not that big, as long as you're confident with the 15 markers (which is not that different from the 12 markers in GCSE) you'll be fine. I recommend memorising case studies way ahead of your exams as it gets stressful cramming them and retaining the facts.
Original post by Oragon
Hi I got an A* for OCR geography for GCSE and an A in AQA AS geography.
Honestly, I find Geography the easiest to revise for. I revised for both exams under a week before the exams its not as hard as you think. For GSCE and A-level I just memorised straight from the CGP revision guide. The jump to A-level is really not that big, as long as you're confident with the 15 markers (which is not that different from the 12 markers in GCSE) you'll be fine. I recommend memorising case studies way ahead of your exams as it gets stressful cramming them and retaining the facts.

Is a C in GCSE geography enough to do a level geography?
Original post by IRoranth
The best way to revise Geography for AS is to make concise notes. This piece of advice is for case studies, which can be a few facts slipped into essays. However, for geographical concepts as well an overview of geography as a whole- make sure you understand the information.
There is no point in learning something if you don't understand it.

If you're losing a couple marks just because they're silly mistakes- that's great. As long as you're not losing them because you don't understand.
I suggest you read each question properly and underline every single key word in the sentence.

For AS (Edexcel), I did two units:

Unit 1:
-The World At Risk (did natural disasters, climate change and their management etc)
-Globalisation (megacities, migration, transnational corporations, etc)

Unit 2:
-Crowded Coasts
-Rebranding

[your teacher may choose different modules, plus, a lot of AS Edexcel geography isn't divided up into physical and human geography- all topics in each module have a mixture of both, which for me makes it easier and more enjoyable. I would hate doing a topic on solely tectonics!]

I'm not at university (yet, hopefully!) but I'm currently doing Geography at A2 now- really like it!

I hope to pursue International Relations at university.

PS: The climate change deal is an important international example of mitigating climate change- it's the first time a tonne of country's have actually agreed to do something about climate change.

Have a read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34572157

What are your other subjects?
Reply 26
Original post by MajorFader
Is a C in GCSE geography enough to do a level geography?

yes I'm sure that's enough, as long as you like the subject and know what you need to improve on. You'll find that a lot of the things you cover in AS are topics you've covered in GCSE, so it's more of refreshing your memory and adding a little more detail. If you need advice on anything feel free to ask me.
What are your other subjects?

Hi! All of my subjects are: Politics, Psychology and Geography.

What about you? =D
How many hours do you do of it a week

4.5 hours wbu
Is anyone doing the WJEC AS Geography????
Hey Guys
I was thinking about doing Geography A Level. Obviously this is very early, but I'm doing the GCSE this year, and so far it's my strongest subject and I really do love it. However, I do know the jump between GCSE to A Level is really big, so I was wondering what are your experiences for Geography A Level and how it is. I'm in Year 10 currently.

the jump from gcse to AS geography is literally nothing, it's honestly the same difficulty. However, AS to A2 is mad one not gonna lie to you, I'm doing A2 right now.
Original post by epickhaled
the jump from gcse to AS geography is literally nothing, it's honestly the same difficulty. However, AS to A2 is mad one not gonna lie to you, I'm doing A2 right now.

What did you get for GCSE and AS?
What did you get for GCSE and AS?

B in GCSE and B in AS loooool, just use CGP for everything. Thing is I did it dumb and revised day before for each, I probably could've got A in AS but chemistry and biology took up all my time
B in GCSE and B in AS loooool, just use CGP for everything. Thing is I did it dumb and revised day before for each, I probably could've got A in AS but chemistry and biology took up all my time

What are you predicted for A2? Did you use CGP for AS?
What are you predicted for A2? Did you use CGP for AS?

I'm predicted AAB, i got BBBD in AS so I probably could've begged for AAA but didn't really need it. And yeah, CGP for everything, it's top class honestly, for biology I used CGP and past papers only and got B which to me is pretty nice.
I did Geography at A-Level, and found it to be my easiest subject. The jump for geography is probably less than that for most other subjects, at least based on my own experience. I feel that geography A-Level had the least need for innovative thought than my other A-Levels (History and R.S.) If you follow the instructions, you can only go so far wrong.

This is just my experience though, others may have found the jump more difficult than I did.

I hope I don't come across arrogantly in this post, but I really did find A-Level geography to be quite easy, though I know this won't be the case for some people.
Hey Guys

It's one of the best A-levels out there!!
Unlike most subjects, the jump to from GCSE to A-Level isn't so dramatic for Geography. The tests are definitely harder and longer with a lot more content to learn (Eg - getting used to 15 markers or 40 markers for A2 (trust me, it's fine!) yet, the style of exam and way of learning is very similar to GCSE! :smile:
Also, the grade boundaries are quite nice

If you love it at GCSE you'll definitely love it at A-Level!!

I loved Geography at GCSE and was also unsure about taking Geog for A-Levels, but now I'm in the second year and have applied to do it at Uni! :smile:
I'm predicted AAB, i got BBBD in AS so I probably could've begged for AAA but didn't really need it. And yeah, CGP for everything, it's top class honestly, for biology I used CGP and past papers only and got B which to me is pretty nice.

Were you on AQA?
Were you on AQA?

AQA in gcse but Edexcel in A-level
AQA in gcse but Edexcel in A-level

Oh nooo, so you have to do that long ass 70 marker don't you?

Quick Reply

Latest