The Student Room Group

Drama School Applications for 2017 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThanosTsar
No idea why this thread is so dead when auditions are starting in a month or so...Anyway, my question is:

I've been struggling a lot with finding a contemporary monologue that I can relate to and genuinely like...Does anyone have any suggestion about modern plays/monologues ?? I've been to the Royal Court Bookshop and National Theatre Bookshop and I still can't find something...HELP...!!

How modern?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88

Like early 90s but ideally from the last 10 years...Any ideas ?? =/
Like early 90s but ideally from the last 10 years...Any ideas ?? =/

Have you looked at Tony winning plays for the last 10 years? If it is an important monologue from those plays it is probably online.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Have you looked at Tony winning plays for the last 10 years? If it is an important monologue from those plays it is probably online.

I've heard that UK drama schools prefer speeches from British plays...not sure if that's true.
I've heard that UK drama schools prefer speeches from British plays...not sure if that's true.

Umm not sure about that... I think if you pull it off, I do not think it is that big of a factor.
Reply 25
I was struggling too, I still sort of am but I've found some speeches I like a lot from Dennis Kelly and Anthony Minghella plays. Monologue books also helped me to find playwrights that I like.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello!

I've been starting applications, and getting speeches together and trying to stay calm!!

This may be overly specific, but if anyone knows - on the RADA form, for the 'brief details of previous acting experience' should that be in bullet points, or written out as a paragraph? Looks like the next section should be written out properly, but i'm not sure for the first bit?

Also I'm still hunting for a second modern piece! I can't remember off the top of my head but one place I was looking at wants from the last 15 years, so I'm looking up writers I like to see what else they wrote that might have something in.

I'm also a bit worried about what happens if you have to turn down certain audition dates, particularly until the end of December - any know how okay they are with that?
Does anyone know roughly what time you have to apply to audition in late January ?
This might be quite late for some people applying but I recommend looking at plays first performed at Edinburgh fringe then published as they tend to be written by younger british playwrights making them relatable - in general nick hern books publish a lot of exciting modern writing as well! :smile:
Reply 29
I had my rada audition this week and was invited back for the recall. I have my lamda first round and i am VERY excited about it because I enjoyed auditioning there in the past.

I am still actively seeking work in the business but if I was able to get a place at either of those two, it would be very hard to turn down unless I got some 'big-break' and even then! there's more than just 'working as an actor' that I could benefit from at drama school.
Original post by ThePlanB
I had my rada audition this week and was invited back for the recall. I have my lamda first round and i am VERY excited about it because I enjoyed auditioning there in the past.

I am still actively seeking work in the business but if I was able to get a place at either of those two, it would be very hard to turn down unless I got some 'big-break' and even then! there's more than just 'working as an actor' that I could benefit from at drama school.

Congratulations! Perhaps I will see you in a final-year performance in three or four years time!
Reply 31
Original post by ageshallnot
Congratulations! Perhaps I will see you in a final-year performance in three or four years time!

Perhaps... but I won't start considering that a possibility until the final stages. However If I'm going to be honest, I feel very strongly about my chances at LAMDA. RADA just depends on how well we jell in the workshops. I'd benefit from both schools, I'm sure.

I also am keeping one eye on Bristol Old Vic's 2yr course and I will apply, but because I love the museums in London, I'd prefer to stay there for life inspiration.

I'm also adding ALRA after some research... so RADA, LAMDA, Bristol & ALRA are my final choices.

....This thread is so quiet! maybe that means less people are auditioning! .....of course it is November and thing's don't start getting active until January, coincidentally that's when most schools bump up their prices... I guess they are aware of that fact, too.

I started a blog about the world around acting within the United Kingdom.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1791037377836175/?fref=nf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ThePlanB
Perhaps... but I won't start considering that a possibility until the final stages. However If I'm going to be honest, I feel very strongly about my chances at LAMDA. RADA just depends on how well we jell in the workshops. I'd benefit from both schools, I'm sure.

I also am keeping one eye on Bristol Old Vic's 2yr course and I will apply, but because I love the museums in London, I'd prefer to stay there for life inspiration.

I'm also adding ALRA after some research... so RADA, LAMDA, Bristol & ALRA are my final choices.

....This thread is so quiet! maybe that means less people are auditioning! .....of course it is November and thing's don't start getting active until January, coincidentally that's when most schools bump up their prices... I guess they are aware of that fact, too.

I started a blog about the world around acting within the United Kingdom.
https://dramaschool2017.wordpress.com/2016/11/24/first-blog-post/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1791037377836175/?fref=nf

Good idea on the group! I was going to make one but I got too nervous ahah
Hi Everyone!
So, it's my first year and I'm auditioning to 3 definitely;
1. Mountview
2. LAMDA
3. Central

All 3 for straight acting 3 year.
I have already had my Mountview audition and was lucky enough to get a recall, which happens in April. My LAMDA audition is on the 4th of December (2 days!!) and I don't know when my Central is.
If you have any questions, feel free to get in contact with me! I hope i can help you (even though I haven't got much experience!)

Thanks
S
A good selection of the traditional schools, all excellent conservatoire options, but be sure to look at all the other schools out there offering a new wave of actor training too.

The industry is changing and there are a lot of new and exciting ways of approaching training and a sustainable career in the arts. Some with superior graduate employment figures than the so-called traditional route. Fourth Monkey have a 96% graduate employment rate from last years alumni year on the accelerated intensive two-year training, two four term years as opposed to three of three. Industry retention is above 90% for students graduating three years ago and alongside the likes of Lecoq, Gaulier and other contemporary training providers are creating actors and creatives that are shaping the way actor training is viewed today. These routes may be for you, so do check them out, and wherever you are auditioning, good luck and have fun!
Reply 35
I got a recall from lamda for next year and I have my second round at rada and first round at bristol this month, then that will be all the preliminary rounds done.

I've stopped considering ALRA because there is no way I could afford to train there which is disappointing but it's the reality. The guildhall school is the only other school that I know that offers full scholarships to some students, however I'd only consider applying (because i'm poor) if I got a rejection at bristol or rada to increase my chances of getting in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys! Yeah weirdly quiet thread so far...

I'm auditioning for GSA (this Saturday, very nervous, first major audition), Arts Uni Bournemouth (Jan) and Central for now! SO desperate to get in which just makes it 10 times more scary as you want to do well! Good luck everyone!!
That is so great to hear. Did you get a recall for Lamda or a second first round audition as this is what I recently got?
Reply 38
I feel like crying with my applications. I wrote my personal statement last night and I am too afraid to open it to see is it good. And just asked my references. Why now and not earlier?

Because I am not really good doing things early and I have tried to all fall talk myself out of this. I mean this is crazy that I think I have chance to get in some school. So I have tried to think something smarter to study. But I dont want to do anything else. I have to try. And try again next year. And again and again and again.
Hey guys for my acting BA hons auditon, i need a contemporary monologue from post 1960s-2000 plays, which must be dramatic or serious genre. I'm 21 years old male, therefore need a teenager/young adult age. If you know any that fits around that categories, let me know asap. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending