The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ppapanastasiou
You want to tell me that a degree an ex-poly would be as demanding as the same degree from the RG university?

Come on man, give me a break.

I went to an ex-poly, I work at a RG. I get a rather accurate insight into this, the level of work is pretty damn equal.
Original post by iainvg
I went to an ex-poly, I work at a RG. I get a rather accurate insight into this, the level of work is pretty damn equal.

Me too. I went to an ex-poly then changed to an RG. Work and level was not equal at all. In fact light years apart.

But I guess it might also depend on the course. What did you study?
Original post by iainvg

I'm amazed! I'm the reverse - studied at several RGs and now work in ex-poly - and the work is not even comparable.

In fact, Cambridge is a step above other RGs, which are in turn a step above my ex-poly.
Original post by ppapanastasiou
Me too. I went to an ex-poly then changed to an RG. Work and level was not equal at all. In fact light years apart.

But I guess it might also depend on the course. What did you study?

Combination of CompSci and Art, literal mishmash, as when I was doing it we were part of both Faculty of Science and Faculty of Art. My average day consisted of 8am till 6pm "compulsory"* with a realistic need to extend to 9-10pm just to cope with the workload, a combination of labs, seminars and lectures. My full terms were between 11-13 weeks.

Cambridge full terms? 8/9 weeks.

So basically unless Cambridge has circumvented the time-space continuum, them having a higher work load is complete and utter rubbish. They might have comparable, but certainly not more.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iainvg
Combination of CompSci and Art, literal mishmash, as when I was doing it we were part of both Faculty of Science and Faculty of Art. My average day consisted of 8am till 6pm "compulsory"* with a realistic need to extend to 9-10pm just to cope with the workload, a combination of labs, seminars and lectures. My full terms were between 11-13 weeks.

Cambridge full terms? 8/9 weeks.

So basically unless Cambridge has circumvented the time-space continuum, them having a higher work load is complete and utter rubbish. They might have comparable, but certainly not more.

Spoiler

Ok good for you.

As I said my experience was very different. I studied economics and mathematics. I changed after my first year from an ex poly to the first year of an RG university. The difference was huge. The RG course was way more rigorous and demanding.

Same experience also for many friends who did engineering and either went from an ex poly to an RG Uni or vice versa.