The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Self-catered accommodation at University of Nottingham

What self-catered halls are nicest at Nottingham? Id prefer to be as close to the city centre as possible, and Id love one with a gym?
Reply 1
hi Bethany, The accommodation at Nottingham is all amazing!! In my first year I lived in independent accommodation which was right by the uni which I'm sure you'd really like. There was a huge gym there which included a jacuzzi! On the first floor there was a 24 hour canteen too which sold all kinds of thing including really healthy stuff. The social areas were really nice too, every 6/7ish flats had a big modern kitchen and lounge with TV. It's such nice accommodation but isn't advertised much by the uni but there's such a nice community there. Message me if you have any more questions!!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by emmitonk
hi Bethany, The accommodation at Nottingham is all amazing!! In my first year I lived in independent accommodation which was right by the uni which I'm sure you'd really like. There was a huge gym there which included a jacuzzi! On the first floor there was a 24 hour canteen too which sold all kinds of thing including really healthy stuff. The social areas were really nice too, every 6/7ish flats had a big modern kitchen and lounge with TV. It's such nice accommodation but isn't advertised much by the uni but there's such a nice community there. Message me if you have any more questions!!

But this accommodation isnt part of the uni right? Its private??
Reply 3
Original post by emmitonk

Hey just wondering what this accomodation is called? Thanks:smile:
I'm currently studying at nottingham now and the best option for you is a place called Nottingham 2. They are run by a company called Derwent students who also own one of the proper university student accommodation Raleigh Park. Nottingham 2 has a gym downstairs which is free to use and it's around a 15 min walk to jubilee campus where you can catch the free hopper bus to UP. Otherwise it's broadgate park which is just outside UP and paying for sports membership which is 200 pounds. You will find however that if you want to join any sports societies you will most likely have to buy the sports membership anyway.

EDIT: Also Nottingham 2 is a 20 min walk from the city centre or there are really good buses outside.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm really interested in going to Nottingham Two, but concerned it wont be as sociable as halls run by the university, is it mainly postgraduate or undergraduates there?
Original post by carabird
I'm really interested in going to Nottingham Two, but concerned it wont be as sociable as halls run by the university, is it mainly postgraduate or undergraduates there?

It's not too bad, they put on loads of events such as free deserts every Tuesday and their common room is decent, Xbox, table tennis, pool etc. I'd say it's a mix between international and home undergrad students which isn't too bad. Only issue is since its not university accommodation you won't get events organised such as Christmas formals or freshers events they do. But for freshers most people don't go to the SU events anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by ******is
It's not too bad, they put on loads of events such as free deserts every Tuesday and their common room is decent, Xbox, table tennis, pool etc. I'd say it's a mix between international and home undergrad students which isn't too bad. Only issue is since its not university accommodation you won't get events organised such as Christmas formals or freshers events they do. But for freshers most people don't go to the SU events anyway.

Where do people go during freshers if it’s not the SU? And also how come they don’t go there in the first place
Original post by Movzard
Where do people go during freshers if it’s not the SU? And also how come they don’t go there in the first place

This is 3 years old so a reply is unlikely.

But in freshers week in the past the SU has organised clubbing events every night for freshers to attend these are very popular, they are not held at the SU but at the clubs in the city but the SU help with logistics (i.e. tickets and some help with transport organised by the uni). You can go to these (most people do) or go to other unofficial freshers events these tend to be more popular with 2nd/3rd/4th years then freshers as by this point they know the city and what events they like.

The formal's are more organised by the catered halls once or twice a term and are popular with freshers in these halls but are just one of things you give up with private accommodation, not that big a deal all in all.

Of course with covid things didn't happen as normal this year and the situation come Sept 2021 is hard to say.
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
This is 3 years old so a reply is unlikely.

But in freshers week in the past the SU has organised clubbing events every night for freshers to attend these are very popular, they are not held at the SU but at the clubs in the city but the SU help with logistics (i.e. tickets and some help with transport organised by the uni). You can go to these (most people do) or go to other unofficial freshers events these tend to be more popular with 2nd/3rd/4th years then freshers as by this point they know the city and what events they like.

The formal's are more organised by the catered halls once or twice a term and are popular with freshers in these halls but are just one of things you give up with private accommodation, not that big a deal all in all.

Of course with covid things didn't happen as normal this year and the situation come Sept 2021 is hard to say.

Oh alright, thank you for noticing and replying. I’ll keep what the SU does in terms of tickets and clubbing in mind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending