The Student Room Group

Glasgow Aeronautical vs. Strathclyde Aero-Mechanical?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about these courses and which has their pros/cons. Are they fairly similar, does Strathclyde offer a more practical course, which has stronger links with industry, would Glasgow be more globally renowned etc?

I visited Glasgow and really liked the uni, I also feel like I would prefer the fact they appear to be more theoretical in terms of studies. I haven't visited Strathclyde but have heard many good things about it.

Which would you recommend?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by myca14

Which would you recommend?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there!

Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what the Aero-Mechanical course at Strathclyde is like. I have heard that it's more Mechanical orientated, but take that with a pinch of salt. Your best bet is to compare course content of both degrees and see what appeals to you more.

Both degrees at both universities will give you great opportunities, it's not like one will be bad for you. Glasgow is probably more well known internationally, but Strathclyde is still highly regarded within engineering. You'll do some vaguely practical things at Glasgow as part of your course, but if you want to focus on practical work then there are plenty of clubs to join.

I can't recommend either, pick which one you think you would be happiest at. The Aero degree at Glasgow has been perfect for me and for what I want to do, so if you have any questions about the degree specifically, please let me know!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 2
Original post by University of Glasgow
Hey there!

Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what the Aero-Mechanical course at Strathclyde is like. I have heard that it's more Mechanical orientated, but take that with a pinch of salt. Your best bet is to compare course content of both degrees and see what appeals to you more.

Both degrees at both universities will give you great opportunities, it's not like one will be bad for you. Glasgow is probably more well known internationally, but Strathclyde is still highly regarded within engineering. You'll do some vaguely practical things at Glasgow as part of your course, but if you want to focus on practical work then there are plenty of clubs to join.

I can't recommend either, pick which one you think you would be happiest at. The Aero degree at Glasgow has been perfect for me and for what I want to do, so if you have any questions about the degree specifically, please let me know!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Thank you for the detailed response, ended up putting Glasgow down :smile:
Original post by University of Glasgow
Hey there!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Hi Scott,
One question please: if someone completes the BEng in AE (4years) can after that enter/continue the MSc Masters (1year) ? Thanks
Original post by Icarus747
Hi Scott,
One question please: if someone completes the BEng in AE (4years) can after that enter/continue the MSc Masters (1year) ? Thanks

Yes, but you might as well just transfer to the MEng before the cutoff for changing if a masters becomes your plan, assuming you want to stay on the same subject.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Yes, but you might as well just transfer to the MEng before the cutoff for changing if a masters becomes your plan, assuming you want to stay on the same subject.

Thanks for the fast reply, greatly appreciated! Still a bit ‘confused about the MEng; Since I am not a UK student neither expecting to work in the UK , ideally I will like to do the BEng (3years) and if it is possible the MSc (1 year) because in Europe they don’t accept the MEng as a full Master degree.
Thanks for the fast reply, greatly appreciated! Still a bit ‘confused about the MEng; Since I am not a UK student neither expecting to work in the UK , ideally I will like to do the BEng (3years) and if it is possible the MSc (1 year) because in Europe they don’t accept the MEng as a full Master degree.

They do accept the MEng as a full master's degree, you'll struggle to find anywhere which doesn't nowadays unless you're looking at very small companies.

Most European countries used to use an MEng style degree for engineering and many other subjects until the Bologna process was introduced, this isn't anything new to them.

The MEng is a more streamlined way to a master's which as an EU student under current rules will also be cheaper. It also means you don't end up doing your dissertation full time over the summer, which is what happens with MSc.

Original post by Helloworld_95
They do accept the MEng as a full master's degree, you'll struggle to find anywhere which doesn't nowadays unless you're looking at very small companies.

Most European countries used to use an MEng style degree for engineering and many other subjects until the Bologna process was introduced, this isn't anything new to them.

The MEng is a more streamlined way to a master's which as an EU student under current rules will also be cheaper. It also means you don't end up doing your dissertation full time over the summer, which is what happens with MSc.

Thank you,Understood! When is the cut off for applying from BEng to MEng ?

Thank you,Understood! When is the cut off for applying from BEng to MEng ?

For Scottish unis it will be before the beginning of 4th year (the final year for BEng)
Thank you so much for all the valuable information!
I was also trying to find out how many applicants with a European Baccalaurate per year are normally accepted by the UoG for the AE course?
Thank you so much for all the valuable information!
I was also trying to find out how many applicants with a European Baccalaurate per year are normally accepted by the UoG for the AE course?

Considering how few European Baccalaureates get awarded worldwide each year, I would be surprised if it was above 1.

Quick Reply

Latest