The Student Room Group

Have you ever watched a women's football match?

Poll

Have you ever watched a women's football match?

A couple of months ago, I went to see England vs Estonia, which was one of the qualifiers for the UEFA Women's Euro 2017. I'm not a massive football fan myself (please don't judge me for this!), but I actually really enjoyed watching the Lionesses match, and it's definitely something I'd consider going to see again. They even won 5 - 0! :gah:

It also got me thinking though, that women's football is something that is generally less advertised, less viewed, and less talked about than men's. For example, the US men's outdrew the women's by 74% for their World Cup games! So, to that degree, how many of you have watched a women's match, live or otherwise? And if you haven't, is it something you'd consider?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller

A couple of months ago, I went to see England vs Estonia, which was one of the qualifiers for the UEFA Women's Euro 2017. I'm not a massive football fan myself (please don't judge me for this!), but I actually really enjoyed watching the Lionesses match, and it's definitely something I'd consider going to see again. They even won 5 - 0! :gah:

It also got me thinking though, that women's football is something that is generally less advertised, less viewed, and less talked about than men's. For example, the US men's outdrew the women's by 74% for their World Cup games! So, to that degree, how many of you have watched a women's match, live or otherwise? And if you haven't, is it something you'd consider?

Yes the Lionesses should an inspiration these women are. I went to my first women's game back in 2015 at Milton Keynes it was England vs USA and I found it a lot more friendlier than a men's top level game. This year I have gone multiple times to watch a women's game pretty much all Aston Villa Ladies games and it is has been so much more fun. The thing that strikes me is the women don't earn much yet you don't see them rolling around screaming when someone has gone near them, not to mention they don't dive either. I am hoping to do another England game at some point, when the women's world cup was on I was glued to the TV even though it was in Canada.
I've only been to one game, but would love to go to another one :h:
I catch it if it's on TV, myself and my dad will sit with a drink and we really enjoy it. Often it's as better match than some of the mens ones, they don't go down at the slightest touch and because it's a little slower paced (testosterone and muscle etc., they can't run as fast) there is often a lot more skill shown. And some beautiful goals.

The USA in the last World Cup were amazing!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by minimarshmallow
Often it's as better match than some of the mens ones, they don't go down at the slightest touch and because it's a little slower paced (testosterone and muscle etc., they can't run as fast) there is often a lot more skill shoe. And some beautiful goals.

Do you really think this?
Reply 5
I watched parts of a few games during the olympics. The most I've ever watched was a whole first half, because it was on in my doctor's waiting room.

It's not really of a high enough quality to make me want to watch it out of choice. Same reason why I don't watch league 2/conference level football.
I'm surprised not many people would want to if they haven't already. Why not?
I watch whatever football's on.
Reply 8
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I'm surprised not many people would want to if they haven't already. Why not?

It's not very good
Original post by shadowdweller

Went to see England play Scotland and I've seen Everton ladies play Chelsea ladies
Got their autographs at the end :smile:
I love Jill Scott
I just don't watch football :dontknow:
I would watch a women's football match, Villa ladies ain't gonna cost much. I can't use the valid argument of it not being as good because I'd also watch our reserves and youth teams, just never got round to it.

More emotionally invested in the first team though.
I used to watch them all the time as a child. It felt empowering and made me want to take part in different sports more often.

I don't really watch football anymore because it is low on my list of interests but nowadays I prefer men's football when I do get round to watching a match.
I remember that infamous match at London 2012 between USA and Canada and the anger after wards
Reply 14
I watched part of USA u20 w v Mexico u20 w this morning

Original post by minimarshmallow
I catch it if it's on TV, myself and my dad will sit with a drink and we really enjoy it. Often it's as better match than some of the mens ones, they don't go down at the slightest touch and because it's a little slower paced (testosterone and muscle etc., they can't run as fast) there is often a lot more skill shoe. And some beautiful goals.

Are you sure that isn't because they have smaller goalkeepers than men but have the same size goals
Been to two games so far and can't wait to go to another one! I watch the Lionesses when they're on the TV (which unfortunately isn't that often which sucks). It's definitely much different to men's football in the sense that it's hardly advertised or talked about. Women footballers get paid hardly anything compared to men footballers but that's a discussion for another day:colondollar:
Original post by VaticanCameos
Women footballers get paid hardly anything compared to men footballers but that's a discussion for another day:colondollar:

It's bloody discrimination. Why can't Eni Aluko get £300,000 per week?
Original post by Wilfred Little

I know, it's crazy! There's always the hope that in the future things will be more equal...
Reply 18
Original post by Wilfred Little

Because women's football doesn't earn as much money as men's football as a whole, it's like saying why can't the owner of a corner shop earn as much as the owner of Sainsbury's
Original post by VaticanCameos
I know, it's crazy! There's always the hope that in the future things will be more equal...

I have actually considered boycotting the sport for this reason.

Original post by joecphillips
Because women's football doesn't earn as much money as men's football as a whole, it's like saying why can't the owner of a corner shop earn as much as the owner of Sainsbury's

Only because of sexist fans. They idolise men and will attend matches, purely because they are men!

Quick Reply

Latest