The Student Room Group

What career/ subject help?!

Hello everyone,

I am certain I want to do maths as a subject for A-level and then sort of certain to doing A-level English too.

Now comes the tricky part...

I think I prefer chemistry over physics despite having an "engineering outlook" only because I feel that in classes I am more engaged with the content and Im not really sure if Physics is for me... I am achieving excellent grades in both currently in GCSEs and am predicted A*s for both.

I may also do a 4th A-level subject which would be further maths. Since D1 and D2 are removed there will be more mechanics in the further maths modules.

My real two questions are: What do you think about the two science subjects (Physics and chemistry) in terms of A-level experience/ recommendations?

Are there any suggested careers I should consider?

Many thanks!!!
I would recommend doing Chemistry for A Level as the content is not too boring to learn unlike Biology and I find it a bit interesting. I heard Physics is now mostly a Maths based subject and has similar content to Mechanics. After your GCSEs, I HIGHLY recommended you check what course/university you want to go to, what grades you need and what career path you want to do. Lastly, in Year 12 try do a few things to put into your personal statement. (You could start revising AS content ahead if you want and have more time to relax in school year) Good Luck.
Reply 2
Original post by L-Lawliet
I would recommend doing Chemistry for A Level as the content is not too boring to learn unlike Biology and I find it a bit interesting. I heard Physics is now mostly a Maths based subject and has similar content to Mechanics. After your GCSEs, I HIGHLY recommended you check what course/university you want to go to, what grades you need and what career path you want to do. Lastly, in Year 12 try do a few things to put into your personal statement. (You could start revising AS content ahead if you want and have more time to relax in school year) Good Luck.

I loved A Level Biology :redface:
Original post by AshEntropy
I loved A Level Biology :redface:

The new linear qualification for Biology requires a ridiculous amount of memorisation and certain chapters such as Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Plants drained my soul DRY. I mean, who gives a f*** about how water is taken up by plants?
The new linear qualification for Biology requires a ridiculous amount of memorisation and certain chapters such as Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Plants drained my soul DRY. I mean, who gives a f*** about how water is taken up by plants?

There should be a biochemistry A Level - which includes topics like cell photosynthesis, respiration, enzymes, biological molecules, genetics etc.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
There should be a biochemistry A Level - which includes topics like cell photosynthesis, respiration, enzymes, biological molecules, genetics etc.

That would be good! The only problem I could see arising is that not many people would take if it if they were already planning to take Chemistry or Biology, as the overlap may lead to universities not counting the A-level.
Reply 6

Trust me OCR Gcse biology coursework just killed it for me... i spent hours and hours trying to work a freaking potometer and it was the worst...
Reply 7

Also Many thanks for the advice! I am currently volunteering in a charity shop and want to throughout sixth form and probably through uni too. I heard that physics is like 40 or 60% maths i always get that mixed up but i dont know if the theoretical side of it is of any use to me...

I really like technology and intruiged by the processes behind it... Maybe i should learn to code. Ooooh opportunity thanks for the insightful advice nevertheless :biggrin:
Original post by DarkEnergy
That would be good! The only problem I could see arising is that not many people would take if it if they were already planning to take Chemistry or Biology, as the overlap may lead to universities not counting the A-level.

I think a more likely scenario is them asking you to pick one from bio/biochemistry, if that makes sense - kinda like how you can't do maths/further maths in some places
I think a more likely scenario is them asking you to pick one from bio/biochemistry, if that makes sense - kinda like how you can't do maths/further maths in some places

Ah alright that'd make sense. But you literally need Maths for Further Maths.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Ah alright that'd make sense. But you literally need Maths for Further Maths.

Yeah, it wasn't the best comparison - but you know what I mean :biggrin:

Also starting to wonder whether your name is in reference to the actual phenomenon of dark energy, or that you're an insomniac with plenty of energy in the dark/night.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also starting to wonder whether your name is in reference to the actual phenomenon of dark energy, or that you're an insomniac with plenty of energy in the dark/night.

Both explanations work tbh

Quick Reply

Latest