The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FemaleBo55
I know right! -.- How's it going for you now?! I hope you caught up!! :tongue:

I'm catching up but I can't believe how much of a step up it is from A Level! The lecturers keep saying "Oh you should know this from A Level.." but we never even studied anatomy that much!
Original post by AshEntropy
I'm catching up but I can't believe how much of a step up it is from A Level! The lecturers keep saying "Oh you should know this from A Level.." but we never even studied anatomy that much!

Seriously?!! I'm not studying anatomy for some reason :s-smilie: I'm going straight into physiology with pharmacology (towards end of the year though) :lol: The thing is my chemistry module so far is pretty much AS & A2 so that's satisfying considering chemistry is my weakness. The laboratory practicals are okay so far! :redface: My last module which is cell and microbiology the level of difficulty is just horrifying!! For example last week we covered DNA replication (which we covered at AS/A2 can't remember LOL) but in the lecture it went into soo much depth that my whole a-level chapter for Replication was just one or two sentences in his lecture!!

I use to love DNA replication but the depth and detail I was taught made it is so much more complicated -.- Literally I had to spend 4 days trying to grasp it. :s-smilie:
Hey I recently just applied for biomedical sciences and am hoping to go either kings or ucl. You guys clearly have experience in this field and I am wondering how difficult it is to get a good research job (I know that it is a lot harder to get jobs nowadays) if you go to a prestigious uni with a high ranking degree 2.1 or even 1st. Is there a lot of demand In this field? I heard that recently they built the Francis crick institute to facilitate bio research.
Also, although this isn't the primary reason to go into science of course, is the pay any good? Will I be able to reach up to 60k with a lot of experience?
First year Biochemist here at the Uni of Leicester. Got my membership card for the Biochem soc today :tongue:.
Original post by RayGhoul
Also, although this isn't the primary reason to go into science of course, is the pay any good? Will I be able to reach up to 60k with a lot of experience?

With a lot of experience you will. Generally you'd need a PhD to be a lecturer / researcher and you could get that much money. I don't know about working for private companies like Pharma etc. Still you'd probably require a PhD in a particular subject though. As a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS it's not beyond the realms of possibility but it would be the top of your career as a band 8b. If you thought about being a clinical scientist you could earn up to £100k as a consultant clinical scientist but those jobs are not too common but could potentially reach up to 70-80 as a principal clinical scientist.
Hi!

I asked a question last night about a degree in Biomedical Science and haven't had any replies. Are any of you able to help?

Here is a link to my question: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4419872

Any help at all would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance! :smile: x
Hi all,

I just thought this would be very useful for anybody who is considering a career in laboratory science and is currently an A-level student or a recent bioscience graduate. I know it can be difficult to get work experience in a laboratory setting, especially for A-level students. I found this link today and I think it is a very good way to gain that experience and understand exactly what the scientific career can involve:

http://www.biograd.co.uk/index.php

BioGrad runs 5-day courses where you will be provided with hands-on experience in real laboratories. The courses are taught by university lecturers such as those from John Moors University in Liverpool and University of Oxford, and scientists from companies such as Pfizer (one of the world's largest research-based pharmaceutical companies). As I understand from reading the site, the courses are based in Liverpool Science Park near the John Moors University and you get accommodation provided during your stay as well as certification in the end and, most importantly, contacts and references for the future!

I hope this will be useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mj1dan2014
Hi all,

I just thought this would be very useful for anybody who is considering a career in laboratory science and is currently an A-level student or a recent bioscience graduate. I know it can be difficult to get work experience in a laboratory setting, especially for A-level students. I found this link today and I think it is a very good way to gain that experience and understand exactly what the scientific career can involve:

http://www.biograd.co.uk/index.php

BioGrad runs 5-day courses where you will be provided with hands-on experience in real laboratories. The courses are taught by university lecturers such as those from John Moors University in Liverpool and University of Oxford, and scientists from companies such as Pfizer (one of the world's largest research-based pharmaceutical companies). As I understand from reading the site, the courses are based in Liverpool Science Park near the John Moors University and you get accommodation provided during your stay as well as certification in the end and, most importantly, contacts and references for the future!

I hope this will be useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much. It's been the hardest but I'll beg my mum to pay for this. Although I live in London but if my mum says yes and does pay I'll definitely go
Is anyone else here doing a BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science degree that is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and Approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)?
Is anyone else here doing a BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science degree that is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and Approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)?

not by HCPC but for IBMS yes!! :redface: Why??
Original post by FemaleBo55
not by HCPC but for IBMS yes!! :redface: Why??

I've been looking everywhere for someone else on here that does too! Are you planning on becoming a Trainee Biomedical Scientist when you graduate? I've been thinking about becoming that or doing a PGCE to become a Biology teacher :biggrin:
Reply 912
I've been looking everywhere for someone else on here that does too! Are you planning on becoming a Trainee Biomedical Scientist when you graduate? I've been thinking about becoming that or doing a PGCE to become a Biology teacher :biggrin:

My course is IBMS accredited with a year placement in a Hospital Pathology Lab. I will get training and have started my portfolio. If all goes well, the hospital I do my placement in may offer me a position and I will be HCPC registered. :smile:
Original post by _4everfaithful__
Thank you so much. It's been the hardest but I'll beg my mum to pay for this. Although I live in London but if my mum says yes and does pay I'll definitely go

You're welcome :smile: Hope you'll get to go, it looks like it should be good! :wink:
Are you an A-level or uni student/grad?
(edited 7 years ago)
You're welcome :smile: Hope you'll get to go, it looks like it should be good! :wink:
Are you an A-level or uni student/grad?

A-level (year 12)
Hey, how do I actually join this society? Or am I already in it? :colondollar:
Original post by _4everfaithful__
A-level (year 12)

That's great as doing this course will really make you stand out on the application to universities as it is not so common to have direct hands-on lab experience at this stage :smile:
Hey, how do I actually join this society? Or am I already in it? :colondollar:

You've posted here so yes, you're in! :biggrin:
That's great as doing this course will really make you stand out on the application to universities as it is not so common to have direct hands-on lab experience at this stage :smile:

That's good because I have nothing done for my personal statement
Reply 919
Hey guy! Just wanted some advice on biomed job interviews please :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending