The Student Room Group

Law at University FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
I work for a university. The statements on university websites are accurate (they're required by law not to mislead over entry requirements).

You're wrong.

It's not misleading an entry requirement. The admissions team can give out spots to whoever they want. It's a fact that they'd be more likely to give out a spot to somebody who didn't take Law for an A-level. This is in no way misleading applicants, this is simply how the majority of universities would operate.
predicted A*s across the board so open to everything, i find maths and the sciences boring though.

my gcses:
Maths
Further maths
English lit and lang
History
French
German
Religious studies
Biology
Chem
Physics
Original post by AnonymousEric
I also want to study Law at a Russell Group Uni and I've chosen English Lit, History, and Religious Studies. For Law it is a safe bet to say you should have at least 2 essay-based subjects, and having an English A level is extremely well respected, so if I were you I would perhaps consider dropping either Maths or Sociology for English Lit or Lang, or maybe even take it as a fourth if you think you can handle the work load. Good luck! X

Thank you!! I like English Lit but it Is not my strongest subject. Isn't Sociology seen as an essay based subject? Good luck to you too!!
Original post by charlott3
Thank you!! I like English Lit but it Is not my strongest subject. Isn't Sociology seen as an essay based subject? Good luck to you too!!

Ignore above poster. You can take literally any subjects for Law, but respected ones and essays are the best. Having one 'softer' subject won't be an issue. Your A Levels are fine for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whowannadate
predicted A*s across the board so open to everything, i find maths and the sciences boring though.

my gcses:
Maths
Further maths
English lit and lang
History
French
German
Religious studies
Biology
Chem
Physics

I would do French, History and English Literature. Maybe a 4th in either Philosophy, Politics or Law (not regarded as a bad a level for law by the way).

A Level French
A Level Law
A Level English Literature

Do not do 4 A Levels.
French, History and Maths would probably be the perfect combination but if you don't like Maths then any other subject you'd enjoy would be fine.
Original post by AshEntropy
A Level French
A Level Law
A Level English Literature

Do not do 4 A Levels.

thanks - why not 4 a levels?
thanks - why not 4 a levels?

All universities only look at your 3 best A Levels. It's completely pointless to study 4 A Levels, as all this will do is give you more unnecessary work. People that study 4 A Levels are are absolutely no advantage to those that do 3 A Levels.
Original post by AshEntropy
All universities only look at your 3 best A Levels. It's completely pointless to study 4 A Levels, as all this will do is give you more unnecessary work. People that study 4 A Levels are are absolutely no advantage to those that do 3 A Levels.

Not quite true. It's often the case that they will make you an offer on your best 3, meaning you could afford to screw up one of them as long as that one wasn't a requirement of the course. (e.g. I know someone reading Law with French who did 4 A levels and no one asked him for more than AAA, with an A in French.)
French, Eng Lit and History.
Original post by habeas.corpus
French, Eng Lit and History.

Thx im probably gonna go qwith this
Don't do A Level Law, it's not considered "facilitating" and you're better off doing another subject such as English Lit, History, etc. I can't see why you shouldn't do two languages along with an essay subject but that may be because I do that :colondollar:
Definitely French and Idk whatelse xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as you don't do law you'll be fine - those are good options

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending