The Student Room Group

I miss Yorkshire- currently living in the industrious North-West

I'm a graduate (although working in food service) living in the North-West, in one of Manchester's most deprived Boroughs.

I grew up in rural North Yorkshire in a leafy affluent village for the majority of my teenage years, until well into my twenties. The village was tranquil and quintessentially British. Red telephone boxes, benches, rolling hills, dry stone walling and country pubs- literally post-card picturesque.

The people were well-mannered, polite and meant well. It was a very personal thing.

Of course, it didn't come without the downsides. Sometimes you'd get claustrophobic and it felt a bit backwards. Lack of public transport in winter months, and a general pack mentality of villagers. Your business was everyones. People lived there all their lives and there was a large elderly population, you might say some folk had no desire to step outside that small bubble and see the world.

Indeed, I was a student, I was intelligent and I had drive and determination to see the world and immerse myself in culture- hence I moved to a bigger city to find work.

As a side-note: I had a hiatus in Cheshire while studying at University- later to return to Yorkshire where I completed my studies.

Now, I live in a run-down area of a deprived borough in Greater Manchester, and its safe to say that government austerity has taken it's toll in this part of the North. In some cases it looks like abandoned mills have been left since the 70s and 80s to rot and stand empty decades later.

Some inhabitants are uneducated, and there is a lot of street violence, theft and thuggery and its just a world away from the life I lived beforehand. I'm not privileged in the sense that I am rich or wealthy, but I've been fortunate enough to reside alongside very middle class people.

Manchester is a very working class city, and one I respect. Plenty to do, but some of the people in the area I reside lack understanding of other cultures, intellect and general respect for others.

Young kids spitting in the street, people barging past to get on bus, despite the fact I've waited longer (and still I'm prepared to let them on!), people bad-mouthing and swearing in front of kids, and generally people picking fights and thinking they are tough.

There is this urban gangster subculture here, everyone wears like track-suit bottoms, and sport related clothing as an everyday fashion in the North-West. Like they've gone into Sports Direct and dragged out the whole store.

Whereas for me I wear like jeans, leather brogues, and I dress smart casual because I see no point in dressing like a thug from a council estate.

Sure, people in Yorkshire ain't exactly the bee's knees, but the dress sense there is entirely different to here. Like I say, here its like everyone is dressed to go jogging or go to a gym.

When I'm in work, people comment on the fact they think I'm a bit 'posh' because of the way I talk, my vocabulary and the fact I have the capacity to debate. I think the fact I work in food service and I went to Uni means they often jump to conclusions about me relatively easily. I don't mean to come off as conceited or stuck up because I'm not. These are just observations.

Perhaps this is all just a reflection of the upbringing I've had. My family are actually pretty working class, some might say poor. But I've had interactions with people on the other end of spectrum and thus I guess its shaped me a little differently.

I miss Yorkshire because its just clean, less polluted the people are polite, and its maintained much more. I blame governments for not intervening sooner really and leaving places to rot.

Does anyone relate to me?

Scroll to see replies

do you live in wythenshaw ? :colone:
I'm from Scarborough and now live in Cheshire - so neither of my locations are as extreme as yours. Some of the experiences you describe remind me more of Scarborough than Cheshire, but that's not to say I don't miss it, up north.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a graduate (although working in food service) living in the North-West, in one of Manchester's most deprived Boroughs.

I grew up in rural North Yorkshire in a leafy affluent village for the majority of my teenage years, until well into my twenties. The village was tranquil and quintessentially British. Red telephone boxes, benches, rolling hills, dry stone walling and country pubs- literally post-card picturesque.

The people were well-mannered, polite and meant well. It was a very personal thing.

Of course, it didn't come without the downsides. Sometimes you'd get claustrophobic and it felt a bit backwards. Lack of public transport in winter months, and a general pack mentality of villagers. Your business was everyones. People lived there all their lives and there was a large elderly population, you might say some folk had no desire to step outside that small bubble and see the world.

Indeed, I was a student, I was intelligent and I had drive and determination to see the world and immerse myself in culture- hence I moved to a bigger city to find work.

As a side-note: I had a hiatus in Cheshire while studying at University- later to return to Yorkshire where I completed my studies.

Now, I live in a run-down area of a deprived borough in Greater Manchester, and its safe to say that government austerity has taken it's toll in this part of the North. In some cases it looks like abandoned mills have been left since the 70s and 80s to rot and stand empty decades later.

Some inhabitants are uneducated, and there is a lot of street violence, theft and thuggery and its just a world away from the life I lived beforehand. I'm not privileged in the sense that I am rich or wealthy, but I've been fortunate enough to reside alongside very middle class people.

Manchester is a very working class city, and one I respect. Plenty to do, but some of the people in the area I reside lack understanding of other cultures, intellect and general respect for others.

Young kids spitting in the street, people barging past to get on bus, despite the fact I've waited longer (and still I'm prepared to let them on!), people bad-mouthing and swearing in front of kids, and generally people picking fights and thinking they are tough.

There is this urban gangster subculture here, everyone wears like track-suit bottoms, and sport related clothing as an everyday fashion in the North-West. Like they've gone into Sports Direct and dragged out the whole store.

Whereas for me I wear like jeans, leather brogues, and I dress smart casual because I see no point in dressing like a thug from a council estate.

Sure, people in Yorkshire ain't exactly the bee's knees, but the dress sense there is entirely different to here. Like I say, here its like everyone is dressed to go jogging or go to a gym.

When I'm in work, people comment on the fact they think I'm a bit 'posh' because of the way I talk, my vocabulary and the fact I have the capacity to debate. I think the fact I work in food service and I went to Uni means they often jump to conclusions about me relatively easily. I don't mean to come off as conceited or stuck up because I'm not. These are just observations.

Perhaps this is all just a reflection of the upbringing I've had. My family are actually pretty working class, some might say poor. But I've had interactions with people on the other end of spectrum and thus I guess its shaped me a little differently.

I miss Yorkshire because its just clean, less polluted the people are polite, and its maintained much more. I blame governments for not intervening sooner really and leaving places to rot.

You ever seen the film 'Inbred'? It's based in Yorkshire.

Spoiler

Reply 4
I'm from Scarborough and now live in Cheshire - so neither of my locations are as extreme as yours. Some of the experiences you describe remind me more of Scarborough than Cheshire, but that's not to say I don't miss it, up north.

I'm from Scarborough too haha, so I can see why you feel my experiences are familiar and lived in Chester for a short-while.

I loved living in Chester because it reminded me of York- which is equally as pomp as Chester with its medieval feel.
Reply 5
Original post by ReallyWigga
You ever seen the film 'Inbred'? It's based in Yorkshire.

Spoiler

Pah. Okay then. Haven't heard that one before.
Reply 6
Original post by Supernova91
do you live in wythenshaw ? :colone:

Pah, no Oldham!
Pah, no Oldham!

So, things could be worse eh!!

I was born and raised not too far there , I've lived overseas on and off for nearly three years but will be returning very soon to do my postgrad ! There are some good things about it, especially manchester the city . The universities, the culture. Your description sounds as if you'd like the northern quarter ? I'm sure you've been there !!

Sounds like you live in Oldham from the description you've provided. City folk are always going to be more dangerous and streetwise than country folk; it's just the way people are brought up in cities, especially one like Manchester. Manchester is pretty rough compared to other cities in the UK anyway.
I'm from Scarborough too haha, so I can see why you feel my experiences are familiar and lived in Chester for a short-while.

I loved living in Chester because it reminded me of York- which is equally as pomp as Chester with its medieval feel.

Yeah, I'm a bit further south near Crewe. But I can appreciate where you're coming from with the Chester-York feeling. To be honest, I get the kind of feelings you're getting in Manchester whenever I visit a relatively large city - I was in Stoke earlier today and couldn't help but think that it wasn't really a very nice place to live.
So, things could be worse eh!!

I was born and raised not too far there , I've lived overseas on and off for nearly three years but will be returning very soon to do my postgrad ! There are some good things about it, especially manchester the city . The universities, the culture. Your description sounds as if you'd like the northern quarter ? I'm sure you've been there !!

You're Mancunian yourself? Yes, I quite agree, I do like Manchester City Centre, and as you say Northern Quarter. However, I do feel a bit priced out and not as worthy when I see some of the places around and the people. I love the quirky artsy shops around- it brings a new experience for everyone! :smile:

There are things I too like about Oldham Town Centre. There are lots of shops, more so than back home in Scarborough, and again a large Asian community.

I'm not Asian btw, I'm White British, but I can appreciate learning more about other cultures. I'm more open minded as a result, and I've met some lovely people too.
Yeah, I'm a bit further south near Crewe. But I can appreciate where you're coming from with the Chester-York feeling. To be honest, I get the kind of feelings you're getting in Manchester whenever I visit a relatively large city - I was in Stoke earlier today and couldn't help but think that it wasn't really a very nice place to live.

I'm still getting over the fact you're from Scarborough. That is pretty bizarre right.
The chances of us having crossed paths is actually pretty high- Scarborough is a small town and tis a small world right!

Anyhow, back on topic. Yeah I'm glad you can relate. I feel a bit like that about the North-West. Many of the smaller towns and regions are very much the same. Industrious, run down and the people are very streetwise and just a bit more outgoing, if dangerous also haha.

I have also visited Stoke- as in 'Stoke-on-Trent? I had a University interview at Staffordshire Uni back in 2010-11 and I did not like it. Some stunning architecture, but the place was dare I say it- 'grotty' and unkept.
Ha ha indeed. Have you experienced the delights of Oldham? I assume (rightly or wrongly) your a country lad from your rhetoric?

Yes agreed, Manchester is very rough and comparable to the more industrial northern power house cities- like Kingston-Upon-Hull (my birth place), Sheffield, Wakefield, Bradford, Halifax and even Leeds. But Manchester just seems that little bit more rough around edges.
You're Mancunian yourself? Yes, I quite agree, I do like Manchester City Centre, and as you say Northern Quarter. However, I do feel a bit priced out and not as worthy when I see some of the places around and the people. I love the quirky artsy shops around- it brings a new experience for everyone! :smile:

There are things I too like about Oldham Town Centre. There are lots of shops, more so than back home in Scarborough, and again a large Asian community.

I'm not Asian btw, I'm White British, but I can appreciate learning more about other cultures. I'm more open minded as a result, and I've met some lovely people too.

Yeah , I am! Being away , there's things I miss but also things I don't miss (like you've described pretty well). I think what made me want to leave was my dead end job- I wasn't going anywhere and just sort of plodding along with no meaning. When I return I have something to work towards, which is better .

It is multicultural and I like that, my grand dad came over to moss side(of all places) from Sierra Leone, but there's numerous communities in the city which is great !

To be honest , there's *****y places on the outskirts of most cities !
Ha ha indeed. Have you experienced the delights of Oldham? I assume (rightly or wrongly) your a country lad from your rhetoric?

Yes agreed, Manchester is very rough and comparable to the more industrial northern power house cities- like Kingston-Upon-Hull (my birth place), Sheffield, Wakefield, Bradford, Halifax and even Leeds. But Manchester just seems that little bit more rough around edges.

I've had to go there sometimes as one of my private exam centres is based there, I see what you mean about mills and deprivation. It isn't nice at all and I feel kind of sorry for the people who have to put up with the living conditions there. I saw quite a lot of faredodging which tbh shocked me even though I've only been a few times.

Well, you were kind of close, I'm not a lad but I'm from a posh part of a north west town (although I currently live in a NW city too)

Manchester is quite rough, even more so than Birmingham:
http://www.crimerates.co.uk/compare/391/birmingham-west_midlands-uk/16/manchester-uk/
Yeah , I am! Being away , there's things I miss but also things I don't miss (like you've described pretty well). I think what made me want to leave was my dead end job- I wasn't going anywhere and just sort of plodding along with no meaning. When I return I have something to work towards, which is better .

It is multicultural and I like that, my grand dad came over to moss side(of all places) from Sierra Leone, but there's numerous communities in the city which is great !

To be honest , there's *****y places on the outskirts of most cities !

Yeah, the part of Oldham I live is very unkept and there is litter everywhere. Rats running about and its just a mess. I think the council does all it can, but its obviously a big task with less public funding and more demand.

Yeah, I'm actually in a similar situation. I hate my job as its dead-end, everyday is the same old- get up, go to work, come home, have a beer, go to bed, start again next day. Monotonous and just soul destroying. Obviously, I'm applying for graudate roles, have been for the last year and a half. But to no avail. Something will come up eventually.

I'm thinking of just up'ing and going myself and leaving to do some spontaneous travel in the hopes of finding myself. I'm 26 and not getting any younger.

Ha ha, isn't Moss Side in Salford? My partner was born there I believe!

Agreed. I was born in Hull and there is some right horrible places there. However, I've been fortunate there too, in that- I have always lived in peaceful commutable villages and kept away from city life. Until now!
I'm still getting over the fact you're from Scarborough. That is pretty bizarre right.
The chances of us having crossed paths is actually pretty high- Scarborough is a small town and tis a small world right!

Anyhow, back on topic. Yeah I'm glad you can relate. I feel a bit like that about the North-West. Many of the smaller towns and regions are very much the same. Industrious, run down and the people are very streetwise and just a bit more outgoing, if dangerous also haha.

I have also visited Stoke- as in 'Stoke-on-Trent? I had a University interview at Staffordshire Uni back in 2010-11 and I did not like it. Some stunning architecture, but the place was dare I say it- 'grostty' and unkept.

Perhaps, but I'm applying for uni now so you're probably a fair bit older than me. I lived there until I was 16, so I know a lot of people from the area. There's probably only one degree of separation between us.

I've been to Manchester a few times, and one thing that struck me is that it went from 'grotty' to obnoxiously gentrified rather quickly - and there was not much in between. But I'm no expert, so my assessment might be a little off.
Ahh right okay. Yeah, I get that too- I empathise with the residents that have had to live there all their lives.

To them it is home. Just like Yorkshire is to me, and I have to respect that. It is their way of life.

Yeah fare-dodging is ridiculous here and I think it is also petty. Why dodge a fare? You either pay to use public transport or you hop off and make your own way. I just don't get it. It isn't worth the fine.

Ha ha, yeah the North West does have some very wealthy pockets. Do you find people dress in sports attire in their everyday lives? Maybe thats just my observation. Obviously there is Cheshire; Warrington, Macclesfield, and other smaller towns with very affluent areas. Wigan, Preston, Bolton (has some nice rural spots).
Yeah, the part of Oldham I live is very unkept and there is litter everywhere. Rats running about and its just a mess. I think the council does all it can, but its obviously a big task with less public funding and more demand.

Yeah, I'm actually in a similar situation. I hate my job as its dead-end, everyday is the same old- get up, go to work, come home, have a beer, go to bed, start again next day. Monotonous and just soul destroying. Obviously, I'm applying for graudate roles, have been for the last year and a half. But to no avail. Something will come up eventually.

I'm thinking of just up'ing and going myself and leaving to do some spontaneous travel in the hopes of finding myself. I'm 26 and not getting any younger.

Ha ha, isn't Moss Side in Salford? My partner was born there I believe!

Agreed. I was born in Hull and there is some right horrible places there. However, I've been fortunate there too, in that- I have always lived in peaceful commutable villages and kept away from city life. Until now!

That's what I did, got an overseas job and off I went . I did actually find myself , what I really wanted to do. Manchester is the right place to do that right now. I'm on my five year plan , as I am the same age (well, 25!) and doing this job made me realise where i need to be. Suppose I'm lucky to realise at this age as opposed to my 60s .

Moss side and Salford , not a million miles away, very close but moss side is still manchester .

Graduate roles , inknow all about those . So dog eat dog !
Perhaps, but I'm applying for uni now so you're probably a fair bit older than me. I lived there until I was 16, so I know a lot of people from the area. There's probably only one degree of separation between us.

I've been to Manchester a few times, and one thing that struck me is that it went from 'grotty' to obnoxiously gentrified rather quickly - and there was not much in between. But I'm no expert, so my assessment might be a little off.

You probably have mutual friends.

Yeah Manchester is much like how you observed. There is the very working class populace, the under-class (homeless) and then there is the middle-class student-y Northern Quarter and obviously you have the MediaCity UK (BBC Northern HQ etc.) where all the corporates and celebs are usually spotted.

Just today a colleague of my reported to have seen Sir Tom Jones around!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending