The Student Room Group

Can Britain learn from the great work of Fidel Castro?

This poll is closed

Can Britain learn from Fidel Castro and Cuba?

Yes, we want a fair classless society of hope and equality. 25%
No. Its better to support the rich and privileged in society.75%
Total votes: 20
The world has lost a great leader Fidel Castro. Whilst some people may dislike his political ideology, we live in times when his ideals are perfectly valid!

Capitalism is a failure!! and Karl Marx was right when he said it would destroy the world as we know it. I was just a kid when the bankers credit crunch plunged the world into the longest recession in history and today we are still suffering. Sky high tuition fees, disabled being stripped of benefits, NHS facing collapse.
It was the bankers recession that caused poverty and instability in the Middle East leading to stable regimes in Libya, Tunisia toppled, war in Syria and the rise of IS and the refugee crises that tore the EU apart and led to Brexit. What happened in 2008 is still affecting us now! Marx was 100% right!

Cuba is the most stable country in the Carribean, it doesn't have the drug problems and crime of other Islands or places in Central American. It has the best healthcare and welfare system in the region.

Castros form of communism was designed for the Cuban people, despite aiming for a classless society he once said he would like every. Cuban to live in a mansion if that's was possible.

Its time Britain looked in his direction instead of appeasing the idle rich and the bankers or sucking up to Farage and Trump.

It disgusts me why we did not hear any condolences from our government but then that does not surprise me!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
The world has lost a great leader Fidel Castro. Whilst some people may dislike his political ideology, we live in times when his ideals are perfectly valid!

Capitalism is a failure!! and Karl Marx was right when he said it would destroy the world as we know it. I was just a kid when the bankers credit crunch plunged the world into the longest recession in history and today we are still suffering. Sky high tuition fees, disabled being stripped of benefits, NHS facing collapse.
It was the bankers recession that caused poverty and instability in the Middle East leading to stable regimes in Libya, Tunisia toppled, war in Syria and the rise of IS and the refugee crises that tore the EU apart and led to Brexit. What happened in 2008 is still affecting us now! Mark was 100% right!

Cuba is the most stable country in the Carribean, it doesn't have the drug problems and crime of other Islands or places in Central American.
Castros form of communism was designed for the Cuban people, despite aiming for a classless society he once said he would like every. Cuban to live in a mansion if that's was possible.

Its time Britain looked in his direction instead of appeasing the idle rich and the bankers or sucking up to Farage and Trump.

It disgusts me why we did not hear any condolences from our government but then that does not surprise me!

Alternatively, you could move to Cuba.
Reply 2
As *****y a system as capitalism can be, communism is simply not feasable.
Reply 3
You have mistaken Capitalism for Communism.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Fidel Castro was white though, so wasn't he the privileged one? :eyeball:

He was Hispanic.

It was the bankers recession that caused poverty and instability in the Middle East leading to stable regimes in Libya, Tunisia toppled, war in Syria and the rise of IS and the refugee crises that tore the EU apart and led to Brexit. What happened in 2008 is still affecting us now! Marx was 100% right!

Cuba is the most stable country in the Carribean, it doesn't have the drug problems and crime of other Islands or places in Central American. It has the best healthcare and welfare system in the region.

Could've guessed this would be an Ambitious1999 thread, would you also suggest following Castro's example of aggravating a potential nuclear holocaust between the US and Russia? I imagine not...

The Recession wasn't caused by the cucking bankers, I hate hearing that left wing myth, it was started because Gordon Brown (like all leftists, was economically illiterate, and thought that he wouldn't have to pay back the loans he took out) then when he did have to pay them back, he ended up having to sell our gold reserves at an all time low!

Marx was an insane lunatic, the labour theory of Value is completely false. If you want to read an actual German speaking economist that spoke sense, I'd advise "The Road to Serfdom" by Dr Friedrich A Hayek.

ISIS wasn't caused by the '08 recession, they were created because we left a power vacuum in Iraq after the invasion and toppling of Saddam in 2005.
A bit much calling him 'great'. Yes he may have done some great things for Cuba but that doesn't excuse the several Human Rights he abused.

you sound like a paleo-marxist relic. I didn't think that such people still existed in real life

what can Britain learn from Castro ? how to eliminate political opposition, put dissenters in jail, muzzle the press, persecute homosexuals ?
Reply 9

Erm you aren't allowed to have an opinion so shut it! (that's what Fidel Castro would want)
Stop feeding the troll
Original post by Mathemagicien
Where do they stand in privilege top trumps?

Well, Latin American people have not been on top for a very long time - especially not in comparison with the US. Even less so people from the Caribbean.

Castro made it a point of his revolution that the position of black people in Cuba, which historically had been very oppressed, would improve and he did achieve a lot in that respect, black Cubans have a much better way of life now than they did pre-Castro.
I thought this was Orbital Rising.

Ah well. Obvious troll is obvious. Speaking of which, some far-left moderator banned me from that thread for calling that kid out on his crappy communist propaganda.
Original post by douglas merritte
You strike me as someone who probably invokes Trump's Wall as evidence for racism. One question:

What about Castro's Wall, 'El Paredón'? The wall in front of which many thousands of men, women and children were executed without trial. Perhaps you should look it up before posting again.

Here, I'll help you
The Infamous Firing Squads
The Cuba Archive
Fidel Castro's Firing Squads in Cuba
As a Cuban exile, I feel betrayed by President Obama

Not to excuse the violence that underpinned Castro's rule, but it's also worth taking a look at what went on before Castro - under Batista, Cuba was rife with arbitrary detention without charge or trial, torture, executions and politically inspired murders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulgencio_Batista

I would suggest Castro's reign was less awful than Batista's, but that's not to say that I don't agree that a lot of bad things have happened in Communist Cuba.
Ambitious please stop this
Original post by Connor27

The Recession wasn't caused by the cucking bankers, I hate hearing that left wing myth, it was started because Gordon Brown (like all leftists, was economically illiterate, and thought that he wouldn't have to pay back the loans he took out) then when he did have to pay them back, he ended up having to sell our gold reserves at an all time low!

The recession was at least partly caused by deregulation of the financial sector, which began under Thatcher and then continued under following governments. It's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not to excuse the violence that underpinned Castro's rule, but it's also worth taking a look at what went on before Castro - under Batista, Cuba was rife with arbitrary detention without charge or trial, torture, executions and politically inspired murders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulgencio_Batista

I would suggest Castro's reign was less awful than Batista's, but that's not to say that I don't agree that a lot of bad things have happened in Communist Cuba.

Castro's regime was less awful than Batista's? I think not. Castro jailed political prisoners at a higher rate than Stalin during his Great Terror, and killed more people in the first three years of his rule than Hitler's regime murdered in its first six.
Reply 17
Thank Castro for

Firing squads

Sinking of 13 de Marzo tugboat that killed 37 people

Forced labour camps

Just to name a few

I assume those are per-capita figures? Cuba is a relatively small country, so not to excuse it, but comparisons with Stalin don't make a lot of sense.

It's always difficult to assess the true death rate, because the anti-Castro lobby include (for example) the numbers of people who died trying to get across the sea to Miami, which is arguably somewhat indirect. In terms of actual ordered murders, it appears Castro ordered the executions of less than 6,000 people, mostly in the immediate aftermath of his coup/liberation.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I assume those are per-capita figures? Cuba is a relatively small country, so not to excuse it, but comparisons with Stalin don't make a lot of sense.

It's always difficult to assess the true death rate, because the anti-Castro lobby include (for example) the numbers of people who died trying to get across the sea to Miami, which is arguably somewhat indirect. In terms of actual ordered murders, it appears Castro ordered the executions of less than 6,000 people, mostly in the immediate aftermath of his coup/liberation.

I would assume that the first figure I mentioned is a per capita figure, but I'm not sure about the second one.

And it is known that Castro arranged for people who attempted to escape from Cuba to be killed, before finally deciding to let them leave of their own accord.

Furthermore, whether Castro personally ordered all the violent deaths that occurred during his reign or not is irrelevant, because he's still responsible for them. Do you think Hitler ordered every single execution during his rule?

Here's a good article about Castro's penchant for mass murder:

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/victims-communism-cuba-73000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending