The Student Room Group

How do I go about getting my first NHS hospital job?

Hi,

I'm returning to medicine after 13 years of public health and will be getting my GMC registration soon. Living in Cambridge and want to work in a nearby hospital (e.g. Addrenbrookes) to build up a portfolio to try for GP training post next year.

I did an year of internship and have a couple of years of hospital/patient exposure Long ago :smile:

Do I contact a recruitment agency? If so, what's a good one for Cambridge, does anyone know?

I'm currently on a very flexible shadowing contract at my local hospital - (but they seem to only advertise for higher level posts!) and I work full time in my current career. But intend to resign etc on getting my registration.

But any advice overall about the whole procedure and interviews questions etc, would be fantastic for me!

So out of touch and what an U-Turn :-D!

Many thanks in advance! Really need some good support and advice :smile:

Mita
x
Original post by SC560
Hi,

I'm returning to medicine after 13 years of public health and will be getting my GMC registration soon. Living in Cambridge and want to work in a nearby hospital (e.g. Addrenbrookes) to build up a portfolio to try for GP training post next year.

I did an year of internship and have a couple of years of hospital/patient exposure Long ago :smile:

Do I contact a recruitment agency? If so, what's a good one for Cambridge, does anyone know?

I'm currently on a very flexible shadowing contract at my local hospital - (but they seem to only advertise for higher level posts!) and I work full time in my current career. But intend to resign etc on getting my registration.

But any advice overall about the whole procedure and interviews questions etc, would be fantastic for me!

So out of touch and what an U-Turn :-D!

Many thanks in advance! Really need some good support and advice :smile:

Mita
x

If you're aiming to join GPVTS in a year or so, it might be useful to aim for FY2 LAT (locum appointment for training) jobs, as you'll get three or four rotations within the year and revisit a broader range of specialties than taking a single specialty SHO job. They're recruited for by individual Trusts and advertised on NHS jobs, and tend to come out later in the year (medical year - August changeovers) as Trusts realise that people haven't passed FY1 or resigned to go abroad, etc. Probably worth talking to HR at your local hospital and expressing an interest so they can contact you when posts come up. They sometimes have shorter posts covering a single rotation (3 or 4 months) that would be open from Dec/Feb/April if people have gone off on maternity leave or quit mid-year.

Recruitment agencies do link people to fixed term jobs as well as booking for single locum shifts, and I never went looking for them but lots of them contacted me via LinkedIn as my profile clearly says I'm a doctor and mentioned that I was looking for work (as a post-FY SHO). I don't know of any Cambridge specific ones.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the quick reply.
Interesting! Can I ask you what made you want to go back to medicine?
I'm still a medical student but considering a career in public health.

Did you just get bored with it?
Reply 4
Original post by panda1093
Interesting! Can I ask you what made you want to go back to medicine?
I'm still a medical student but considering a career in public health.

Did you just get bored with it?

I was so passionate bout public health in 3rd year that I decided to move. But I think I had the types of jobs in WHO UNICEF saving the world type of work in mind. UK mainstream public health is not that. Full of politics and still like research where you have to make cases for projects and it's complex. But I think I was stuck in public health genomics rather than mainstream public health. So can't generalise.

But one key factor was shrinking of the public health funding starting from the recent Nhs reforms .,.
Many consultants retrained as GP due to job cuts. I find that jobs are more unsecured in PH...

Plus yes I definitely think it's now boring sitting at the computer analysing data writing reports- compared to chattingvto patients- 'miss that... I love counselling and would advise at any opportunity... so now thinking of combining GP job with public health to serve communities welll...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SC560
I was so passionate bout public health in 3rd year that I decided to move. But I think I had the types of jobs in WHO UNICEF saving the world type of work in mind. UK mainstream public health is not that. Full of politics and still like research where you have to make cases for projects and it's complex. But I think I was stuck in public health genomics rather than mainstream public health. So can't generalise.

But one key factor was shrinking of the public health funding starting from the recent Nhs reforms .,.
Many consultants retrained as GP due to job cuts. I find that jobs are more unsecured in PH...

Plus yes I definitely think it's now boring sitting at the computer analysing data writing reports- compared to chattingvto patients- 'miss that... I love counselling and would advise at any opportunity... so now thinking of combining GP job with public health to serve communities welll...

Yes, I knew about the public health funding cuts but didn't think it was so bad. And I guess most people think of WHO/UNICEF or humanitarian work when it comes to Public Health, maybe because Global Health is such a hot topic right now.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience and good luck with your career as a GP!
Reply 6
Original post by panda1093
Yes, I knew about the public health funding cuts but didn't think it was so bad. And I guess most people think of WHO/UNICEF or humanitarian work when it comes to Public Health, maybe because Global Health is such a hot topic right now.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience and good luck with your career as a GP!

You are doing the right thing. Just make sure you are getting into something you'd want to do for a long time. So yes ask around more PH people.

I have no complaints with 20 publications including BMJ Nature, a wealth of knowledge and skills and a wonderful relaxed job paying well while I bring up my child. Btw did I say I also have a Cambridge MPhil in PH in the bag. Now to change local communities while being in the core of things. Target CCG lol. Best wishes
Reply 7
You will need to be able to demonstrate your foundation competencies if you apply for GP (or any other) training job, having been away from clinical medicine for so long. A LAT FY2 would probably be easier to achieve this in than a trust grade job.
Reply 8
Original post by Helenia
You will need to be able to demonstrate your foundation competencies if you apply for GP (or any other) training job, having been away from clinical medicine for so long. A LAT FY2 would probably be easier to achieve this in than a trust grade job.

Thank you for your advice

x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending