The Student Room Group

Is this just too risky ?

So my son has applied to his 5 for economics, predicted grades are Economics A History B and Maths C

So because of grades the "top" ones eg Russell Group are out.

Reading & Sussex are the highest he's applied for, plus De Montfort, Coventry & Bournmouth

If he got offers from all 5 , is it too risky to firm and insurance the Reading & Sussex options that are ABB in the hope he gets his predicted and one of them will take him even though he's a grade out of their requirements. AND if he doesn't get in with them hope for a place in clearance with the one of the other 3 as I'm presuming as the 3 are "lower" ones they would appear in clearing ? If you think that's far too risky which "lower" one do you think would be a better choice or are we talking nothing in it when we get that far down the tables, he likes the modules on all (they are all BA courses) .

Thanks
Original post by Mumofson
So my son has applied to his 5 for economics, predicted grades are Economics A History B and Maths C

Reading & Sussex are the highest he's applied for, plus De Montfort, Coventry & Bournmouth

If he got offers from all 5 , is it too risky to firm and insurance the Reading & Sussex options that are ABB in the hope he gets his predicted and one of them will take him even though he's a grade out of their requirements. AND if he doesn't get in with them hope for a place in clearance with the one of the other 3 as I'm presuming as the 3 are "lower" ones they would appear in clearing ? If you think that's far too risky which "lower" one do you think would be a better choice or are we talking nothing in it when we get that far down the tables, he likes the modules on all (they are all BA courses) .

Thanks

Yes it's too risky as there's never a guarantee a course will be in clearing, it's pretty pointless having a firm and insurance that are the same grades so he should choose one out of reading and Sussex and pick whichever out of the other 3 that he would be happiest at.

Thanks

Have a look on which? to find out the most common grades that they both accept. Look at accommodation guarantees for insurance students at both. Speak to both to find out their attitude to accepting students with missed grades.

Once you've got that information then he'll be in a better position to decide if the risk is worth taking.

It's not a terrible idea to have a firm and insurance with the same grades IF they're both universities he would be happy to go to.

It's also worth having a backup plan of universities that he's researched and visited with a likelihood of them being in clearing, plenty of time and transportation available around results to sort out accommodation at a clearing choice if that's the way things turn out and a backup plan for a gap year if things really don't go to plan.
Not impossibly risky and not as uncommon as you'd think.

If your son feels like Reading and Sussex are his strong favourites, and he is able to cope with the uncertainty (not knowing where he could end up/ possibility of a gap year/ accommodation difficulties), then that might be his best option.

In a situation like this (actually in ANY application) it will probably be best to wait until near the deadline for choosing firm/insurance - if his work is going well, then there will be a stronger case for the Reading/Sussex choice, if not then it might be more appropriate to choose a 'lower' insurance.
Reply 4
Not risky imo, if he gets 1 or maybe even 2 grades lower then they'll probably still let him in. If he doesn't get into his firm/insurance though then loads of unis in that tier will be in clearing anyway.
Reply 5
Thank you all for your input

He's the first in the family to go to university so we are not to familiar with the process.

I presumed the accom uncertainty would apply to most students on an equal level who go with an insurance offer or through clearing ? (Unless it's one of the unis who guarentee insurance places too) I could be wrong through.

Not being here on the last round of applications again I don't know what exactly goes into clearing but again "presumed" as they are lower ranked unis they probably did but again as it's economics not sure if that's the type of course that tended to end up there?

Yes Reading & Sussex are his favourites "on paper" we have yet to go visiting so one on the other 3 may really appeal to him.
Thank you all for your input

He's the first in the family to go to university so we are not to familiar with the process.

I presumed the accom uncertainty would apply to most students on an equal level who go with an insurance offer or through clearing ? (Unless it's one of the unis who guarentee insurance places too) I could be wrong through.

Not being here on the last round of applications again I don't know what exactly goes into clearing but again "presumed" as they are lower ranked unis they probably did but again as it's economics not sure if that's the type of course that tended to end up there?

Yes Reading & Sussex are his favourites "on paper" we have yet to go visiting so one on the other 3 may really appeal to him.

From my personal experience:

eldest had the same offer for firm & insurance: we stressed and worried and fretted throughout the whole process, but all was fine and she ended up at her first choice

youngest is a current applicant: we're just advising him 'choose your favourite as firm and your second favourite as insurance even if they're the same grades, and if it all goes pear-shaped we'll sort it out on Results Day'

(worth noting that alongside this we've done, or will do, the research suggested by PQ to prepare just in case, and that all of his choices were in clearing last year)

Enjoy your visits, go planned with questions (like the one you've already flagged up 'do you guarantee accommodation to students admitted though insurance/clearing and, if not, what help is available to them) and it'll all fall into place.
Reply 7

Thanks

Just out of curiosity, what grades did he achieve at AS? Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Rigby16
Just out of curiosity, what grades did he achieve at AS? Thanks!

BBDE - not good and the E was maths, he's dropped the D and is having private maths tutor lessons and sitting in on Maths in year 12 classes when he has free periods plus sitting all the maths exams again from year 12 with his year 13 exams (got an A in maths at GCSE) had to fight to get a predicted C in maths by showing the teacher the extra effort he would put in. Hence we have looked for BA Econ places which were less maths heavy.

Thanks

That is the kind of risk one is meant to take when you apply to uni it's risk sure but nothing ventured and all that.

Any questions about Reading town PM me I live there.
I don't think it's a bad idea. In terms of rep it would probs be Sussex>Reading>Cov. I personally wouldn't bother firming/insuring the other 2. I'm 99% certain that all 5 of these courses were in clearing. There's even RG uni's in clearing(Southampton, Sheffield etc) but they would all require BBB+.(a B grade in Mathematics is a must.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Legend15
I don't think it's a bad idea. In terms of rep it would probs be Sussex>Reading>Cov. I personally wouldn't bother firming/insuring the other 2. I'm 99% certain that all 5 of these courses were in clearing. There's even RG uni's in clearing(Southampton, Sheffield etc) but they would all require BBB+.(a B grade in Mathematics is a must.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, yes reading & sussex are top two. He got offer this evening from Reading AAB or ABB if firmed. He picked unis based on modules from the top down which were in his reach . As I've read and learnt so much from this forum I see once you are outside the "top 20" quite frankly it makes little difference so drill down into what the course covers and pick from there. He's not going to a "head hunting " uni so you may as well look as to what makes for a good 3 years of your life.
Thanks for the reply, yes reading & sussex are top two. He got offer this evening from Reading AAB or ABB if firmed. He picked unis based on modules from the top down which were in his reach . As I've read and learnt so much from this forum I see once you are outside the "top 20" quite frankly it makes little difference so drill down into what the course covers and pick from there. He's not going to a "head hunting " uni so you may as well look as to what makes for a good 3 years of your life.

I couldn't agree more. After all, he's gonna be living there for 3 years. But clearing is always an option, so there is still a chance he could go to a higher ranked uni. Nevertheless, Reading and Sussex are fantastic institutions so I'm sure he'll enjoy his time at either institution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Legend15
I couldn't agree more. After all, he's gonna be living there for 3 years. But clearing is always an option, so there is still a chance he could go to a higher ranked uni. Nevertheless, Reading and Sussex are fantastic institutions so I'm sure he'll enjoy his time at either institution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think if he could make either two he would be happy , I honestly don't think it bothers him to aim any higher as in the long term plan of life it won't effect him , he's happy with those two as his options and I think he will play the gamble. I sort of hold the opinion that uni isn't for everyone so if he doesn't pick up one of the others in clearing maybe he shouldn't have been thinking about uni in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending