The Student Room Group

Suitable A Levels for Law or Eng Lit.?

I'm considering taking English Literature, Spanish and (maybe) Biology for A Level. I know for certain that I would like to do English and Spanish as they are my strongest subjects. I'm torn between doing Law or English Literature at Uni. Or going on to doing Speech Therapy. I feel as though Law would be more beneficial in terms or getting a job in comparasion to taking Literature. (Well, if I was to go into jobs involving Law, of course. I'm still unsure of what I would like to do.) But, I do not know what a law course at Uni would involve (in detail)? Or whether I would enjoy it? I know that specific A Levels are not required to do Law, but I'm not so sure about English Lit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by catherin.e
I'm considering taking English Literature, Spanish and (maybe) Biology for A Level. I know for certain that I would like to do English and Spanish as they are my strongest subjects. I'm torn between doing Law or English Literature at Uni. Or going on to doing Speech Therapy. I feel as though Law would be more beneficial in terms or getting a job in comparasion to taking Literature. (Well, if I was to go into jobs involving Law, of course. I'm still unsure of what I would like to do.) But, I do not know what a law course at Uni would involve (in detail)? Or whether I would enjoy it? I know that specific A Levels are not required to do Law, but I'm not so sure about English Lit.

For English literature,English literature is the only compulsory subject it seems Seemingky you d be fine with those subjects for speech therapy too. Have you looked into getting some work experience?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
For English literature,English literature is the only compulsory subject it seems Seemingky you d be fine with those subjects for speech therapy too. Have you looked into getting some work experience?

I've tried to get work experience at a law firm, but I got turned down from all the firms I applied for. I haven't applied for work experience elsewhere (excluding a school.)
I've tried to get work experience at a law firm, but I got turned down from all the firms I applied for. I haven't applied for work experience elsewhere (excluding a school.)

All you can do is keep trying really :smile:
what about sociology? that'd be useful for english lit, law and speech therapy perhaps
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
All you can do is keep trying really :smile:

I might try to do work experience relating to speech therapy or literature, though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by epage
what about sociology? that'd be useful for english lit, law and speech therapy perhaps

I haven't actually considered taking sociology, I suppose that would be quite useful. I think you do not need any specific grades or subjects at GCSE to do Sociology? Well, people have told me that, but I am not sure.
I haven't actually considered taking sociology, I suppose that would be quite useful. I think you do not need any specific grades or subjects at GCSE to do Sociology? Well, people have told me that, but I am not sure.

At my school you need a B in an english or a humanity, but it may vary across schools

Its also a relatively easy a-level and I personally think it's very interesting (I also study politics and english lit)
Reply 8
Original post by epage
At my school you need a B in an english or a humanity, but it may vary across schools

Its also a relatively easy a-level and I personally think it's very interesting (I also study politics and english lit)

Thanks for suggesting Sociology, I might take it! :smile:
If you want to get into Speech Therapy, definitely take English Language.
Reply 10
Original post by Anna.Karenina
If you want to get into Speech Therapy, definitely take English Language.

At the sixthform I am applying for, they only offer English Literature and not Language. Would that be a huge problem if I didn't take Language, or is it compulsory?
At the sixthform I am applying for, they only offer English Literature and not Language. Would that be a huge problem if I didn't take Language, or is it compulsory?

It's not compulsory - it would just be hugely beneficial for you re knowledge and what kinds of things the course involves.

Quick Reply

Latest