The Student Room Group

Sociology or History?!

I am very unsure whether to continue with sociology or history in my A2 year. I thoroughly enjoy history and do pretty well in my class tests however it stresses me out and also I feel like it'd require more effort/attention. Sociology doesn't stress me out as much (although learning the studies will take a while) but I am not enjoying learning it at all.

Besides history and sociology I take:
English lit
RS

EDIT: My History teacher is leaving next year :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd say history is the better option as doing something you enjoy will motivate you more as you will want to learn everything you possibly can in order to do well
Reply 2
Original post by abbub712
I'd say history is the better option as doing something you enjoy will motivate you more as you will want to learn everything you possibly can in order to do well

Thanks! Did you do/know anyone that did a level history?
Reply 3
Original post by itsaaliyaa
Thanks! Did you do/know anyone that did a level history?

I'm currently in year 13 doing a level history; as well as sociology and psychology
I am very unsure whether to continue with sociology or history in my A2 year. I thoroughly enjoy history and do pretty well in my class tests however it stresses me out and also I feel like it'd require more effort/attention. Sociology doesn't stress me out as much (although learning the studies will take a while) but I am not enjoying learning it at all.

English lit
RS

Quick question; are you still in AS and considering what to drop next year? Cause if that's the case then I'd just wait until next year to properly decide and try as hard as you can in both this year. Then at A2 do what you're best in and enjoy the most.

Not to mention that if you drop sociology you will have more attention to give to history if you needed to.
Reply 6
Original post by LordHeskey
Quick question; are you still in AS and considering what to drop next year? Cause if that's the case then I'd just wait until next year to properly decide and try as hard as you can in both this year. Then at A2 do what you're best in and enjoy the most.

Yep still in AS. Yeah we're also having mocks after the new year
Reply 7
I'm currently in year 13 doing a level history; as well as sociology and psychology

If you had to recommend one course more, would it be History or Sociology? Or which one would you choose between if you had to? Thanks!
Yep still in AS. Yeah we're also having mocks after the new year

Ah ok, well you don't actually have to make your mind up for ages yet so just try hard and enjoy both. In all honesty though pick whichever you do best in at AS, or if there's not much in it then just which ever you enjoy most. History is probably the better regarded of the two subjects though..
Reply 9
Original post by LordHeskey
Ah ok, well you don't actually have to make your mind up for ages yet so just try hard and enjoy both. In all honesty though pick whichever you do best in at AS, or if there's not much in it then just which ever you enjoy most. History is probably the better regarded of the two subjects though..

Thank you for your help :smile:
If you had to recommend one course more, would it be History or Sociology? Or which one would you choose between if you had to? Thanks!

I take both history and sociology, I definitely prefer history, but that's because it's what I want to do at uni :smile: I can find sociology is a lot to remember too, however, I do find sociology much easier than history, especially at A2! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by itsmeellenb
I take both history and sociology, I definitely prefer history, but that's because it's what I want to do at uni :smile: I can find sociology is a lot to remember too, however, I do find sociology much easier than history, especially at A2! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! How are history exams in terms of how much content you have to write about in the time?
Thanks! How are history exams in terms of how much content you have to write about in the time?

I find it alright, 45 minutes per essay (I'm with edexcel) isn't too bad, better then 30 minutes for sociology! Also I find the essays easier to write in history because you're arguing a point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by itsmeellenb
I find it alright, 45 minutes per essay (I'm with edexcel) isn't too bad, better then 30 minutes for sociology! Also I find the essays easier to write in history because you're arguing a point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! :biggrin:
Reply 14
History

English lit
RS

EDIT: My History teacher is leaving next year :frown:

Hiya I have A* quality essay responses/ summary notes on A-level sociology, based on the exam board OCR. I also have the same for alevel history (Edexcel). Received an A* for a level sociology and history. Also, these essays have helped loads of students previously. I can send free preview pages if you’d like, you can reply with your email adress x

Quick Reply

Latest