The Student Room Group

Are these good A-Levels?

So I'm just a couple of months away from choosing my A-Levels and I'm a bit unsure on what too take. I definitely want to take Business and Psychology but I'm not sure about the third one. I would prefer the third one to be an 'easier' option. Maybe Graphics because I enjoy it at GCSE, or perhaps Sociology as it's a bit like Citizenship and I enjoyed that at GCSE (gaining an A from the exam). Should I take Business, Psychology and Sociology? Or is that too many social sciences?! Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felicate
So I'm just a couple of months away from choosing my A-Levels and I'm a bit unsure on what too take. I definitely want to take Business and Psychology but I'm not sure about the third one. I would prefer the third one to be an 'easier' option. Maybe Graphics because I enjoy it at GCSE, or perhaps Sociology as it's a bit like Citizenship and I enjoyed that at GCSE (gaining an A from the exam). Should I take Business, Psychology and Sociology? Or is that too many social sciences?! Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

It depends what you want to do in the future, but i wouldn't take a subject just because it's easy.
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
It depends what you want to do in the future, but i wouldn't take a subject just because it's easy.

The thing is, I don't know what I want to do in the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing is, I don't know what I want to do in the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not exactly but do have any ideas of what sort of area you want to go into/type of job? Or even what interests you atm?
What about taking a facilitating subject? You currently don't have one and it could strengthen your prospects for the future. I don't think you should pick subjects depending on how easy they are, but by your interest in it or if it's something that will open doors in areas you're interested in. If you want to do psychology, perhaps chemistry would be a good science alongside it.

This explains it if you're unsure; http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/
Business is already an easy subject that is not very respected by uni's.
Reply 6

What would be an area that would interest you? That would help with reasonable suggestions.
Reply 7
Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

I don't think it's necessary an easy subject tbh as it does have value but I'll leave that to open discussion :biggrin:
Is there anything outside of those 2 that you enjoyed at GCSE or is that pretty much it? Are there any subjects available that you didn't do at GCSE and don't know much about?

Original post by caseynh
What about taking a facilitating subject? You currently don't have one and it could strengthen your prospects for the future. I don't think you should pick subjects depending on how easy they are, but by your interest in it or if it's something that will open doors in areas you're interested in. If you want to do psychology, perhaps chemistry would be a good science alongside it.

This explains it if you're unsure; http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

tbf tho I took three facilitating subjects at AS and it's helped very little.
Reply 9
Original post by JTran38
What would be an area that would interest you? That would help with reasonable suggestions.

I'm really struggling with areas that interest me. I like psychology because I like learning about why people think like they do. If I could I would study something like psychology at university, but I'm not sure what career that would lead me into.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm really struggling with areas that interest me. I like psychology because I like learning about why people think like they do. If I could I would study something like psychology at university, but I'm not sure what career that would lead me into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects are you good at and what other subjects do you enjoy? Maybe doing a mixture of subjects may help, IDK.
Reply 11
Original post by caseynh

I would take a science, but I know how big the jump from GCSE to A-Level is, and I do enjoy science but I'm not sure if I will enjoy it at A-Level as they seemed quite hard when I tasted the subject at an open day for college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by JTran38
What subjects are you good at and what other subjects do you enjoy? Maybe doing a mixture of subjects may help, IDK.

At GCSE I enjoy Business, Science (specifically Biology) and perhaps Geography? But I'm not sure about taking a Science at A-Level as it seems very hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
At GCSE I enjoy Business, Science (specifically Biology) and perhaps Geography? But I'm not sure about taking a Science at A-Level as it seems very hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Business and Geography could be considered facilitated subject but it really depends what you want to do. Maybe speak to a career's adviser at school or something.

Is that u in ur profile cos then u should do chemistry coz im feeling it baby
Reply 15
Original post by JTran38
Business and Geography could be considered facilitated subject but it really depends what you want to do. Maybe speak to a career's adviser at school or something.

Thank you for your help, I'm getting careers advice from my school in the next few weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Thank you for your help, I'm getting careers advice from my school in the next few weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

NP and all the best

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what's wrong with business or why some uni's don't see it as something. But have you considered something to do with humanities such as English Language or History? I think they are quite strong and helpful. I would take both of them if I were you, if you could handle it, that is.

Business, Psychology, History and English Language/Literature to me look really good.

I don't know if it's possible for you, but if you could top that with sociology that would be very hard but very enriching imo.
I'm sure Pyschology has a fair bit of writing to it, and so does history so adding and english might be a bit too much. So maybe

Business, Psychology, History and Sociology. Idk. It's up to you. Research some university courses too and see what would work really well. A lot of people say they "regret" what A-level subjects they took so think carefully.
(edited 7 years ago)
2 language history for translation
Reply 19
Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Why is it not respected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest