The Student Room Group

Learning Japanese For A GCSE?

Hello,

I am a 14 year old entering year 10 this coming year and i would like to know how i can learn japanese by myself to a A gcse grade.I am very interested in the language and will give lots of time towards learning it, an hour a day. The problem is I dont know how to study and for how long. Anyone who has done a japanese gcse please tell me how it went and how you found it and what I will need to study and learn to earn a high grade.If possiable i would like to take the gcse next year. Any tips or adivce is welcome!!! XD

Thanks!
Original post by Maab88
Hello,

I am a 14 year old entering year 10 this coming year and i would like to know how i can learn japanese by myself to a A gcse grade.I am very interested in the language and will give lots of time towards learning it, an hour a day. The problem is I dont know how to study and for how long. Anyone who has done a japanese gcse please tell me how it went and how you found it and what I will need to study and learn to earn a high grade.If possiable i would like to take the gcse next year. Any tips or adivce is welcome!!! XD

Thanks!

Will you be starting from scratch or have you already learnt a bit of Japanese previously?

One of my friends made a YouTube video about taking a GCSE in Japanese independently, so if that's what you're planning you might want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcO8xyp5JE

But as with any languages GCSE, past papers will be very useful - I assume it'd be the same in Japanese, but in French and Spanish they always seemed to repeat the same vocab each year so if you had done the past papers, it wasn't too bad. And use online resources like Memrise and Quizlet, they're good if you want to go through vocab lists and memorise some new words :smile:
Original post by Maab88
Hello,

Thanks!

The sixth form that I'm going to go to offers multiple languages at GCSE (from scratch) so I'm hoping to take Japanese along with my a levels for some fun haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Dougieowner
Will you be starting from scratch or have you already learnt a bit of Japanese previously?

One of my friends made a YouTube video about taking a GCSE in Japanese independently, so if that's what you're planning you might want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcO8xyp5JE

But as with any languages GCSE, past papers will be very useful - I assume it'd be the same in Japanese, but in French and Spanish they always seemed to repeat the same vocab each year so if you had done the past papers, it wasn't too bad. And use online resources like Memrise and Quizlet, they're good if you want to go through vocab lists and memorise some new words :smile:

Thank you so much for replying and thanks a lot for the link!!! thank youuuu!!!! And yes i am staring from scratch
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Maab88
Hello,

Thanks!

Starting from scratch will be quite tough. At my school I think we had maybe 2-3 1 hour lessons a week, so if you do an hour a day you'll be doing more - though we had done it since year 7, so had already learned the 2 main alphabets and got a lot of vocab and grammar out of the way.

Once you've got the alphabets down (hiragana, katakana, and a few kanji), it will get easier though. I think Edexcel are the only exam board to offer Japanese, so make sure you download the specification and stick to it religiously (see here).

GCSE Japanese isn't too challenging, especially if you're aiming just to pass - but even getting A/A* will probably be achieveable self-studying. Make sure you don't neglect the speaking and listening side of it too though - a good oral exam is a surefire way of getting halfway to an A*! I've done GCSE Japanese (though quite a few years ago now), so if you've got any specific questions, shoot them my way. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BWCW
Starting from scratch will be quite tough. At my school I think we had maybe 2-3 1 hour lessons a week, so if you do an hour a day you'll be doing more - though we had done it since year 7, so had already learned the 2 main alphabets and got a lot of vocab and grammar out of the way.

Once you've got the alphabets down (hiragana, katakana, and a few kanji), it will get easier though. I think Edexcel are the only exam board to offer Japanese, so make sure you download the specification and stick to it religiously (see here).

GCSE Japanese isn't too challenging, especially if you're aiming just to pass - but even getting A/A* will probably be achieveable self-studying. Make sure you don't neglect the speaking and listening side of it too though - a good oral exam is a surefire way of getting halfway to an A*! I've done GCSE Japanese (though quite a few years ago now), so if you've got any specific questions, shoot them my way. :smile:

Again, thank you so much for replying and thanks for the link!! I will really work hard and hopefully do well. If i do ill let you know!! Thanks again i really appericate the time you took to write that and reply XD XD if i do have any questions ill be sure to ask! Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by BWCW

What six form did you attend ?
Hihi! I did the GCSE last year; got an A*. I spent a lot of time interacting with Japanese media (reading JLPT N5-aimed articles and listening to music etc) so listening/reading became pretty easy for me. I practised my presentation for the speaking exam (on the musical Hamilton) a lot, and had a bunch of mocks for that - so although I didn't know which questions would be asked, and indeed I got asked questions I'd never had to answer before on the day, I had a good idea about the kind of stuff that was likely to be asked. I did a bunch of practice papers for the writing too, and just made sure I knew all the kanji and I had the timing and structure down - I didn't try to prepare ahead or anything.
Reply 8
Original post by roarchika
Hihi! I did the GCSE last year; got an A*. I spent a lot of time interacting with Japanese media (reading JLPT N5-aimed articles and listening to music etc) so listening/reading became pretty easy for me. I practised my presentation for the speaking exam (on the musical Hamilton) a lot, and had a bunch of mocks for that - so although I didn't know which questions would be asked, and indeed I got asked questions I'd never had to answer before on the day, I had a good idea about the kind of stuff that was likely to be asked. I did a bunch of practice papers for the writing too, and just made sure I knew all the kanji and I had the timing and structure down - I didn't try to prepare ahead or anything.

Hi there. My daughter is doing the Japanese GCSE this summer. Did you prepare 1 or 2 spoken presentations for the oral exam?
Thanks

Craig
I did GCSE and got an A*. I had no tutor and just self-studied. I used online vocabulary lists (I think either from edexcel or the Japan Language Foundation in London). I also went through Minna No Nihongo book 1 - although I'm sure other books would suffice.

Be sure to be practice papers (although i didn't do many!)
Original post by cusmar
Hi there. My daughter is doing the Japanese GCSE this summer. Did you prepare 1 or 2 spoken presentations for the oral exam?
Thanks

Craig

Just the one - I basically gave my presentation, got asked a few questions on it, and then got asked some non-tangential questions.
Reply 11
Original post by roarchika
Just the one - I basically gave my presentation, got asked a few questions on it, and then got asked some non-tangential questions.

Thanks for that. Did you do Edexcel and when did you take the exam?

Cheers

Craig
Original post by cusmar
Thanks for that. Did you do Edexcel and when did you take the exam?

Cheers

Craig

Yep, took it in summer 2016 I think.
Reply 13
Original post by Maab88
Hello,

Thanks!

Hi, I am taking the Japanese GCSE this summer and I'm in Y 10. I'm actually Japanese so I'm taking the GCSE a year early, and I did the mocks last week and I got 100% (A*) in the reading and listening. In my opinion starting from scratch will be difficult without a tutor, but if you're willing to put lots of effort into your studying then it's possible. I think the hardest exam will be the writing. Key to success is practice! Watch loads of yt videos, and do practice papers. You should also practice speaking with someone who can do Japanese.
I have Japanese level N3. Although there is no written or verbal test it is one set by the Japanese rather than an English examination board. Is it a higher level than GCSE? And what would be more valid? An exam set by the Japanese themselves, or the British. 200 kanji easy to learn.Study reading and writing 10 a day. Revise every 5th day. Within 25 days you should be able to read an write them, if not, read them at least!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending