The Student Room Group

Discrete maths/Operational research at uni

I love both discrete maths and operational research and want to study a uni course that contains lots of either.

By this I mean topics like algorithms, logic, optimisation, graph theory and simulation.

I was looking at Discrete maths at Warwick but it seems like a computer science course and I'm more interested in the maths side of it.

(I'm also a fan of topology if anyone knows courses that include it too).
I'm taking Discrete maths but have just overloaded heavily on maths modules compared to computer science modules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e-b
I love both discrete maths and operational research and want to study a uni course that contains lots of either.

By this I mean topics like algorithms, logic, optimisation, graph theory and simulation.

I was looking at Discrete maths at Warwick but it seems like a computer science course and I'm more interested in the maths side of it.

(I'm also a fan of topology if anyone knows courses that include it too).

DM at Warwick can 100% be tailored to be what you want it to be, with the exception of the core modules, but you'll find that there is a heavy algorithms focus. If you're still not convinced, check out MORSE at Warwick too.
Reply 3
Original post by acontium
I'm taking Discrete maths but have just overloaded heavily on maths modules compared to computer science modules :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tysm that's exactly what I want to do, looks like I'll be putting Warwick as my firm choice!
Reply 4
Original post by mathematigeek
DM at Warwick can 100% be tailored to be what you want it to be, with the exception of the core modules, but you'll find that there is a heavy algorithms focus. If you're still not convinced, check out MORSE at Warwick too.

Thank you, I was considering MORSE but I'm not a fan of economics so I stuck with discrete. I've enjoyed algorithms so far at A level so hopefully I will next year.
Original post by e-b
Thank you, I was considering MORSE but I'm not a fan of economics so I stuck with discrete. I've enjoyed algorithms so far at A level so hopefully I will next year.

You will LOVE it :smile:
Original post by mathematigeek
You will LOVE it :smile:

^Can confirm

(Apart from analysis xD)
Reply 7
Original post by acontium
^Can confirm

(Apart from analysis xD)

Thanks!! Nice to know multiple people support my decision :')

Quick Reply

Latest