The Student Room Group

Accidently told new employer I can drive, now they are asking for my driving licence.

Hi all, just got a new graduate job after a long slog after finishing my degree. However, during the acceptance meeting, I was asked if I could drive, without thinking I said yes. due to tiredness, interview stress, etc. And then the employer said I could drive with the company car and could provide the details when I start. I only said yes, because I've came close to passing on 2 occasions without taking the actual test.

I accept it was an error on my part, but going back on what I said now makes it look like a lie. And that will not give a good impression in a graduate job where competition is fierce.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to at least delay it, I don't mind actually going and finally doing it? But it certainly won't be by the time I am due to start in the next month.

Thanks in advance (I'm an idiot)
Reply 1
Original post by rambonumber5
Hi all, just got a new graduate job after a long slog after finishing my degree. However, during the acceptance meeting, I was asked if I could drive, without thinking I said yes. due to tiredness, interview stress, etc. And then the employer said I could drive with the company car and could provide the details when I start. I only said yes, because I've came close to passing on 2 occasions without taking the actual test.

I accept it was an error on my part, but going back on what I said now makes it look like a lie. And that will not give a good impression in a graduate job where competition is fierce.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to at least delay it, I don't mind actually going and finally doing it? But it certainly won't be by the time I am due to start in the next month.

Just explain that you misunderstood the question because of nerves in your interview and that you're learning to drive, you didn't mean to imply that you had a full licence (this is assuming you have your provisional that you can show them).
Sorry but the truth will be discovered no matter how you try to sugarcoat it. If you delay your start with the company they'll want a reasonable justification or they'll scrap your offer.
(edited 7 years ago)

'accidentally told them I could drive' is a little disingenuous, isn't it. Be able to drive or not isn't something you 'forget' about...But I won't lecture because I can tell you know you lied and it was a stupid thing to do.

(1( Only one thing for it - pass your test! When do you start your job: is it July/August? That should give you enough time.

Alternatively, (2) you could just try to fudge it - when it comes to handing over your license etc, you could try saying 'oh, no I can't drive but I mentioned that' - it's possible that enough time will have elapsed between your interview and start date that it's put down to an error on the interviewer's part.

Finally, (3) you could come clean and tell them you lied and risk having the job offer withdrawn. For something this easy to fix, I wouldn't actually recommend it until you've at least tried (1)
(I'm an idiot)

You diodn't need to mention that; we can see for ourselves. Not only did you mislead your future employer but you mislead yourself - how can anyone come close to passing a dric=ving test twice without actually taking it? You seem to have a serious problem with relating to the real world.

I suggest you keep quiet. When asked for your licence yiou show it. At that point they will see it is provisional and will say you cannot drive the company car. You will say I wondered if a learner would be able to drive (and this will not be to your credit) but thought I might if I were accompanied. You will look like a stereotypical silly little boy or girl but will escape any worse consequences (as long as a full licence was not a condition of employment, of course).

In future, engage brain before opening mouth.
Reply 5
Original post by Luneth
Just explain that you misunderstood the question because of nerves in your interview and that you're learning to drive, you didn't mean to imply that you had a full licence (this is assuming you have your provisional that you can show them).

Have you passed your theory test? If so doing one of those intensive "pass in a week" courses with a test at the end may be worth the money

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending