The Student Room Group

Why do Americans call black people "African-Americans"?

They could be from the Caribbean innit

Scroll to see replies

Blacks in the Caribbean still originated from Africa.

But you're right. They should call whites European Americans in that case.
Because they are subconsciously racist.

Americans are the only people to divide up their citizens like that. In the UK, you're not 'African-British' or 'Asian-British', you're just British.

And they just lump Africans and Caribbeans together because they're black, which is silly IMO because they have different cultures.
:iiam:
To distinguish them from native Americans.
Where do you think the ones in the Caribbean came from?
The vast majority came straight from Africa and the Afro Caibbeans stayed where they were. We only have significant numbers here because of our colonial past and a large amount of immigration in the 60's and 70's.
I as an african object to this! :mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob:
we should not be called african americans. We should be called Africans!!!!!!

When people say african american people never think of somalia :sad:
(edited 7 years ago)
It's important to remember all humans came from Africa if we look back in time anyway lol, I think African-American is rude because it's assuming your heritage. Why does it make you less of a normal American? :/
If anyone called me African-British I'd be annoyed as my ancestors do not date back there for at least 6 generations and maybe more.
Because every black person comes from Africa.
Reply 8
As an american i've to agree that i don't like very much the " african american " term
Reply 9
Iz it cuz I'm black?
Original post by Ruth200
As an american i've to agree that i don't like very much the " african american " term

you're American >_>

blegh :rofl:

but did u vote trump doe

but no african americans have to be called african americans the ones who descend from slaves so they can claim slavery reparartions. It's a thing. I saw it in a historical movie at school lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 0to100
you're American >_>

blegh :rofl:

but did u vote trump doe

but no african americans have to be called african americans the ones who descend from slaves so they can claim slavery reparartions. It's a thing. I saw it in a historical movie at school lol

There is nothin bad being american :wink:

No i didn't
Original post by Ruth200
There is nothin bad being american :wink:

No i didn't

are you from tha south?
Because they are Americans descended from Africans. I think whatever you call them people will come up with some reason why it is offensive.
Reply 14
Original post by 0to100
are you from tha south?

I'm from california
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Because they are subconsciously racist.

Americans are the only people to divide up their citizens like that. In the UK, you're not 'African-British' or 'Asian-British', you're just British.

And they just lump Africans and Caribbeans together because they're black, which is silly IMO because they have different cultures.

Errr don't speak complete rubbish. Most white americans will correctly refer to themselves as european or white american, it's not different. Only the odd hicks state that only white people are american.

By comparison White British, Black British, Asian British is most definitely used in the UK.... ironically enough compared to your viewset, most often by minority groups. Well the BBC just had a black british week not too long ago :lol: 'British' isn't a thing at all while 'Briton' is.

Also lumping african and caribbean cultures together is the whole reason afro-caribbean is a different group to afro-american and african entirely.
Reply 16
Original post by PrincessBO$$
I as an african object to this! :mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob::mob:
we should not be called african americans. We should be called Africans!!!!!!

When people say african american people never think of somalia :sad:

lol just what has Somalia got to do with African Americans?
In Britain they're just 'British', we don't necessarily have a word in common conversation.
Original post by sadly
lol just what has Somalia got to do with African Americans?

Somalis can be American too ya know... :u:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Im not taking any advice from you on this topic.
YOU WERE THE GUY WHO SAID ALL AFRICANS (CORRECTION MOST AFRICANS) look like akon :mob:

Besides ive met many polish,swedish,norwegian people who call themselves 'European'

It's not advice, it's literally what you need to do so you stop embarrassing yourself and your race. You're making racist people's jobs who work in the gov't easier by separating yourself from other types of blacks. WHy?

I also never said that. I literally said the opposite. Quote me saying that or don't put words in my mouth.

Quick Reply

Latest