The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Interviews run all the way to March so there's still plenty of time to hear back.
Original post by Lostperson
No? i am in the 9th. read how to place yourself in the deciles.

No mate sorry, you are actually in the 8th decile.
Original post by ukgjyhtrhv
No mate sorry, you are actually in the 8th decile.

exactly
Reply 963

You have a total of 2100 so slide yourself into that 8th decile and learn how to read charts because you don't wanna be killing patients if you become a doctor
Original post by DocPK
You have a total of 2100 so slide yourself into that 8th decile and learn how to read charts because you don't wanna be killing patients if you become a doctor

Think you'll find that it is in fact 9th decile...

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202012%20to%202015%20v2.pdf

Read the bit in italics lol The same applies to 2016 cuz that's how deciles work

"Please note the total score indicates the
highest score a candidate can achieve to be classified in each decile" - UKCAT
(edited 7 years ago)

Original post by DocPK

LOOOOL why is everyone so salty I love it
*grabs popcorn*
Original post by setarcos

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202012%20to%202015%20v2.pdf

Read the bit in italics lol The same applies to 2016 cuz that's how deciles work

I don't want to add to the drama but I don't think it's the same...

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2016%20Final%20Mean%20Scores%20071016.pdf

To be in the 9th decile you need a minimum score of 2150
If the average score was 700, multiplied by 3 is 2100. So the person above unfortunately missed the 9th decile by 50 points
To put this to rest, in 2016, the 9th decile score was 2150.

The person had a 700 average. 700 x 3 = 2100.

2100 =/ 2150

This person is not in the 9th decile but the 8th.
Reply 968
Original post by neuralgal
To put this to rest, in 2016, the 9th decile score was 2150.

The person had a 700 average. 700 x 3 = 2100.

2100 =/ 2150

This person is not in the 9th decile but the 8th.

That's exactly what I thought as my score was 2140.
Part of being a doctor is admiting your mistakes, and turns out everyone else is right. Oh well now I'm in the 9th decile 💥

At the end of the day we all just wanna get some interviews from KCL!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by confusedspecimen
I don't want to add to the drama but I don't think it's the same...

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2016%20Final%20Mean%20Scores%20071016.pdf

To be in the 9th decile you need a minimum score of 2150
If the average score was 700, multiplied by 3 is 2100. So the person above unfortunately missed the 9th decile by 50 points

It's not the minimum score tho, it's the maximum score u can have to be placed in that decile, anything above would place u in the next decile, look at the examples provided in the other document, then it'll make sense. I used to think it was the other way round as well. But I suppose either way, doesn't make a huge difference lol
It's not the minimum score tho, it's the maximum score u can have to be placed in that decile, anything above would place u in the next decile, look at the examples provided in the other document, then it'll make sense. I used to think it was the other way round as well.

Wait omg yeah you're right!! I didn't realise that's how they worked! Okay my bad everyone, 2100 is 9th decile after all! Well done for noticing that lol
Reply 971
At least this made the thread much more interesting 😂
Is there a way of determining your ranking in the world apart from these deciles?

Guys honestly after reading that, @setarcos is definitely right, I thought it was the other way round but this way makes sense. Cause 1st decile is bottom 10%, so if you get in that year 2200/3600, you're no longer in the bottom 10% but magically you're not on the list cause you didn't meet first decile? Also being in the 9th decile means top 10-20%, being above the 9th decile means top 10%
It just depends on the way you think of it really.
I'm sorry guys , I didn't think this would turn into a big squabble but when the deciles came out I also thought I was in the 8th but my supervisor said I was in the 9th. Just to clarify then , am I in the 8th or 9th? Xx
I'm sorry guys , I didn't think this would turn into a big squabble but when the deciles came out I also thought I was in the 8th but my supervisor said I was in the 9th. Just to clarify then , am I in the 8th or 9th? Xx

If setarcos is right, and I think they are, 700x3 = 2100 so 9th decile! :smile: I'm so happy about this hahah because it means I'm in the 9th too, I was under the impression I was 8th because I got 2080 and I thought it was the minimum score but it makes more sense for it to be the maximum
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by crystalni
If setarcos is right, and I think they are, 700x3 = 2100 so 9th decile! :smile: I'm so happy about this hahah because it means I'm in the 9th too, I was under the impression I was 8th because I got 2070 and I thought it was the minimum score but it makes more sense for it to be the maximum

Yeh I thought so :smile: thank you ! Haha always nice to know you got bumped up a decile :smile:
Original post by DocPK

lol I read it properly . You probably didn't read the italics.
lol I read it properly . You probably didn't read the italics.

It's okay, just a misunderstanding guys, even other websites think the deciles were the maximum scores to be achieved. You looked more thoroughly into it on the official website and now we're all enlightened and probably upped a decile, so thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest