The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature - How should I annotate my books?

So I've just received the texts that I am studying for AQA GCSE English Literature which are Macbeth,A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls as well as the Power & Conflict Anthology but I'm not sure how I should annotate them? Does anyone possibly have a key or suggestions that worked for them like e.g. Literary techniques/devices (one colour), themes (another colour) etc

Scroll to see replies

Do whatever you find useful. Underline key "meaty" quotations. If the technique is obvious then you can just underline it, but if it's more subtle you can annotate it. I would say that you should make notes on themes and progression of themes in your excercise book, rather than in the actual novel.
Original post by BobBobson
Do whatever you find useful. Underline key "meaty" quotations. If the technique is obvious then you can just underline it, but if it's more subtle you can annotate it. I would say that you should make notes on themes and progression of themes in your excercise book, rather than in the actual novel.

Thank you for your reply! I was considering annotating my books as it does help me visually for example:
Literary devices - including key 'meaty' quotes
Contextual factors
Themes
Characters - not sure what I'd underline with this but considering it; possibly development of characters
Motifs

I will be doing in-depth analysis too in my exercise book as I don't want to crowd the margins of the novels and make it overwhelming to the eye because I've kind of got OCD if it's not neat :tongue:

Thank you once again for your reply!
Original post by MariamsRevision
Thank you for your reply! I was considering annotating my books as it does help me visually for example:
Literary devices - including key 'meaty' quotes
Contextual factors
Themes
Characters - not sure what I'd underline with this but considering it; possibly development of characters
Motifs

I will be doing in-depth analysis too in my exercise book as I don't want to crowd the margins of the novels and make it overwhelming to the eye because I've kind of got OCD if it's not neat :tongue:

Thank you once again for your reply!

In my experience it's not worth it, the exam's are either closed book or they give you a clean copy so don't think you can take them into the exam :P

Just make notes on separate paper to revise on lol, you get more space to develop your points without having to cram it onto the text (this is especially frustrating for poetry.)

But yeah, you got the right idea with general points to make; also remember rhythm, rhyme and syllabic structure aswell as poetic form with the poetry (and Macbeth aswell which has those features.)
Original post by Connor27
In my experience it's not worth it, the exam's are either closed book or they give you a clean copy so don't think you can take them into the exam :P

Just make notes on separate paper to revise on lol, you get more space to develop your points without having to cram it onto the text (this is especially frustrating for poetry.)

But yeah, you got the right idea with general points to make; also remember rhythm, rhyme and syllabic structure aswell as poetic form with the poetry (and Macbeth aswell which has those features.)

The exam's closed book
Original post by BobBobson
The exam's closed book

Just making sure; my AQA Literature exams last year were both open book but they gave us clean copies.
Just making sure; my AQA Literature exams last year were both open book but they gave us clean copies.

Yeah the new specification is now a closed book exam unfortunately

Thank you for your reply, I'll definitely take it on board! I've got a revision booklet for the Poetry Anthology already with the annotations/points on so any additional ones that I may pick up, I'll just jot down on paper or somehow fit it in.

For the novels, I'll also probably create mind maps for each of the themes and characters with the corresponding quotes and analysis/key points.
Thank you for your reply, I'll definitely take it on board! I've got a revision booklet for the Poetry Anthology already with the annotations/points on so any additional ones that I may pick up, I'll just jot down on paper or somehow fit it in.

For the novels, I'll also probably create mind maps for each of the themes and characters with the corresponding quotes and analysis/key points.

I can help with MacBeth (did for my coursework in a comparison with "My Last Duchess" and "Porphyria's Lover" by Robert Browning and got full marks :smile: )

As for the other two; I have no idea (we did "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Lord of the Flies")

But yeah, if you want some Lit help I got an A* in the summer and am currently achieving As in AS Literature so feel free to ask away with any Macbeth related things!
I can help with MacBeth (did for my coursework in a comparison with "My Last Duchess" and "Porphyria's Lover" by Robert Browning and got full marks :smile: )

As for the other two; I have no idea (we did "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Lord of the Flies":wink:

But yeah, if you want some Lit help I got an A* in the summer and am currently achieving As in AS Literature so feel free to ask away with any Macbeth related things!

We actually haven't started studying Macbeth as of yet but thank you for the offer, I'll be sure to send you any questions I may have when we do come to study it. How are you finding AS Literature though, well bearing in mind you're currently achieving A's :smile:. I was considering it as one of my options as I find it so interesting although I'm nowhere near as good as what I'd like to be
We actually haven't started studying Macbeth as of yet but thank you for the offer, I'll be sure to send you any questions I may have when we do come to study it. How are you finding AS Literature though, well bearing in mind you're currently achieving A's :smile:. I was considering it as one of my options as I find it so interesting although I'm nowhere near as good as what I'd like to be

The jump isn't *that* bad; there is a jump don't get me wrong, but it isn't as severe as history (which I also study, seriously stay away from that **** :frown: ).

You do a lot more on poetic meter (so you'llve done iambic pentameter, the basic at GCSE but you learn about dactylls, trochees and spondees aswell; that's good fun.) And the other thing is you have to refer to literary critics in your essay when you present alternative interpretations (our teacher just gives us a booklet full of articles and reviews for each text to pick and choose in essays.)
The jump isn't *that* bad; there is a jump don't get me wrong, but it isn't as severe as history (which I also study, seriously stay away from that **** :frown: ).

You do a lot more on poetic meter (so you'llve done iambic pentameter, the basic at GCSE but you learn about dactylls, trochees and spondees aswell; that's good fun.) And the other thing is you have to refer to literary critics in your essay when you present alternative interpretations (our teacher just gives us a booklet full of articles and reviews for each text to pick and choose in essays.)

Okay so the first sentence of the second paragraph just seemed like a whole load of gibberish to me, we clearly haven't learnt that yet :redface:

I'm taking History (loving it so far), French,Psychology (also loving this so far) Biology,Chemistry,Physics,Mathematics, Statistics, English Language and English Literature (Possibly Further Maths and ECDL too)

I'll still however consider English Lit as one of my options and I was kind of considering History but from what you're saying, perhaps not then :smile:
So I've just received the texts that I am studying for AQA GCSE English Literature which are Macbeth,A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls as well as the Power & Conflict Anthology but I'm not sure how I should annotate them? Does anyone possibly have a key or suggestions that worked for them like e.g. Literary techniques/devices (one colour), themes (another colour) etc

Annotate it to look appealing to YOU.

In my eyes anything works. I have 3 bic pens: one black one green and one red.

Black is for normal eriting and examples. Red is for IMPORTANT STUFF and Questions. Green is additional information or lookie here stuff.

With your anthology USE PENCIL

I filled a whole page in pencil you can do some serious annotating in terms of meter.

Consider using a glossary at the back for any new or important words.

And nice I'm doing Macbeth, AIC (An inspector calls) and Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde. Hope this helps!
Okay so the first sentence of the second paragraph just seemed like a whole load of gibberish to me, we clearly haven't learnt that yet :redface:

I'm taking History (loving it so far), French,Psychology (also loving this so far) Biology,Chemistry,Physics,Mathematics, Statistics, English Language and English Literature (Possibly Further Maths and ECDL too)

You may not cover it until MacBeth, it's kinda a massive feature of that play, enjoy :wink:

Those GCSEs are similar to my own except I didn't do psych or stats and did philosophy and RS instead.

My A Levels atm are: English Lit (obviously); history; French and Government and Politics.
I'll still however consider English Lit as one of my options and I was kind of considering History but from what you're saying, perhaps not then :smile:

English lit sounds pretty good in my opinion too. Dont let question 4 in the fiction paper put you off in terms of a level as that evaluation is typically awful. Always write in an academic tone dont drift to "I" "Me" etc...

I mean Victorian gothic screams the era of sexualisation even though they weren't "allowed to use it".

Don't get me wrong; History is a really interesting subject and all, but the content and complexity just skyrockets at A Level, it's a bit disheartening when you go from an A at GCSE to consistently getting Cs, especially when I'm getting As in my other three subjects.

And then there's the ridiculous workload that's 3x as much as my other A Levels :frown:
Original post by Marcus_:D
English lit sounds pretty good in my opinion too. Dont let question 4 in the fiction paper put you off in terms of a level as that evaluation is typically awful. Always write in an academic tone dont drift to "I" "Me" etc...

I mean Victorian gothic screams the era of sexualisation even though they weren't "allowed to use it".

Mhm it does seem interesting, thank you for your input! I haven't even looked at the papers yet :tongue:
Don't get me wrong; History is a really interesting subject and all, but the content and complexity just skyrockets at A Level, it's a bit disheartening when you go from an A at GCSE to consistently getting Cs, especially when I'm getting As in my other three subjects.

And then there's the ridiculous workload that's 3x as much as my other A Levels :frown:

Aw I've heard other people saying it's quite a challenge at A-Level compared to GCSE too. Don't beat yourself up about the grades though, just know that you're working hard in lessons and trying your very best so you shouldn't worry. You'll eventually get to where you want to be if you continue working that way.
Original post by Marcus_:D
Annotate it to look appealing to YOU.

In my eyes anything works. I have 3 bic pens: one black one green and one red.

Black is for normal eriting and examples. Red is for IMPORTANT STUFF and Questions. Green is additional information or lookie here stuff.

With your anthology USE PENCIL

I filled a whole page in pencil you can do some serious annotating in terms of meter.

Consider using a glossary at the back for any new or important words.

And nice I'm doing Macbeth, AIC (An inspector calls) and Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply! I will definitely take your suggestions/ideas on board, especially the glossary with any foreign words that I come across.

Quick Reply

Latest