The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol or Exeter uni

I'm applying for a management course at Bristol and a Finance course ant Exeter and I'm trying to decide on which uni. In my first year I will likely go to a catered hall so I'm wondering which you guy think will be better based on social side/night life, accommodation, course reputation, types of people, activities available and any other factors you would consider.
You need to look at each course in detail and choose that way - not by 1st year accommodation.
(You can have the nicest 1st year room on the planet but if you hate the course, it'll be a very long 3 years....).
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by returnmigrant
You need to look at each course in detail and choose that way - not by 1st year accommodation.
(You can have the nicest 1st year room on the planet but if you hate the course, it'll be a very long 3 years....).

Can't argue with that.

My accommodation was great, the people not so much..

I should have gone to a University where I fitted in, not one with the largest beds/oldest buildings.. but try telling my 17 year old self that :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
Can't argue with that.

My accommodation was great, the people not so much..

I should have gone to a University where I fitted in, not one with the largest beds/oldest buildings.. but try telling my 17 year old self that :P

I'm seriously considering Bristol. What are you main complaints or issues? I'm an international student so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by JNP99
I'm seriously considering Bristol. What are you main complaints or issues? I'm an international student so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The University focuses on Postgraduate research, undergraduates on the other hand are simply treated as a source of revenue for the University. If you've got access to a large amount of money during you're studies it'll be okay, the University expects this to be the case and will gladly bleed you dry of cash.

At undergraduate level the quality/value for money is lacking, during my course I was taught by unqualified teachers (80% of the time in a mouldy basement) whilst the University spends millions on buildings (ie the life sciences building) that I was not allowed to access (postgraduate only and not for social science peasants like myself)

Bristol dose very well in international University league tables, less so in the domestic UK rankings. The primary factor being 'student satisfaction' (how happy the students are with the University/teaching/feedback) holding it down.

Bristol University is great under the right circumstances and it really depends on what you plan on studying at the University and your background before you arrive. If you've got money and are considering postgraduate studies I wouldn't hesitate to apply to Bristol, otherwise I'd recommend thinking a bit more about the University before you apply.

http://epigram.org.uk/comment/2014/11/bristol-love-the-city-hate-the-university
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending