The Student Room Group

Thinking of studying Chemistry? Get answers for all of your questions from NTU

Thinking of studying Chemistry at uni? Considered NTU as one of your options?

You can have all of your questions answered by current NTU students studying Chemistry, right here on The Student Room!

Leave any questions and queries below and one of our Student Ambassadors will get back to you!

To find out more about the Chemistry course at NTU, click the link!

Tim - NTU TSR Rep
Everyone I ask who study chemistry seem to hate lab work at university? Is this really the case? Is there any advice you could give to make labs a more enjoyable experience/ less stressful time?
Reply 2
Original post by ShadowStorm689
Everyone I ask who study chemistry seem to hate lab work at university? Is this really the case? Is there any advice you could give to make labs a more enjoyable experience/ less stressful time?

Preparation is key. Go through the protocol before you get there and write down the reactions so you have an idea about what you're actually doing at each point and read any MSDS/health and safety stuff to make sure you know how to handle the materials you're using.
I completed my A-levels over three years can I still apply to this course?
Original post by ShadowStorm689

Hi ShadowStorm689,

Below is current Chemistry student, Edward's response to your question;

"Working in the lab is fun, I believe that when people talk about lab work, they refer to the write-ups which can sometimes be challenging and therefore frustrating at times. Although daunting at first, you will get the hang of using the instruments and following standard operating procedures.

With regards to the lab work I would recommend trying to process the data you get from the lab, as soon as possible whilst the experiment is fresh in your mind. Other requirements for the lab reports (such as writing out procedures) are best done before the lab or, if particularly busy, then after processing the data. Keeping on top of your work and getting things done early (and well) will also help. NEVER leave a question/large amount of work until the day before the deadline, try and aim to submit something a day before the deadline because if you run into any trouble then you won't be caught with no time left. Don't be afraid to ask for help early on as it is important that you fully understand the basics.

Finally, its all about enjoying the chemistry, as long as you enter the lab with good intentions, a positive mindset and you actually want to be there, then you will enjoy them.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if anything is unclear."
Original post by _.Iqraaa_
I completed my A-levels over three years can I still apply to this course?

Hi _.lgraaa_,

Thanks for your question.

As long as the required grades and points are achieved then it does not matter if the A-levels were studies over 3 years ago.

These are the following entry requirements for our BSc (Hons) Chemistry course.

What are we looking for?

A-levels - BBB, including Chemistry (A-level Chemistry grade C will be accepted providing the overall Tariff points are met); or

BTEC Extended Diploma - DDM, including relevant Chemistry modules; or

120 UCAS Tariff points from three A-levels or equivalent qualifications, including an A-level grade C equivalent in Chemistry; and

GCSEs - English and Maths grade C.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Tim - NTU TSR Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending